Ceramic coatings? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Ceramic coatings? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Graham Phillips
Frequent User
Username: playtime

Post Number: 404
Posted on Thursday, 27 May, 2021 - 15:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on these new ceramic coatings for cleaning an detailing your car?

Dose anyone use them?

Grahaam.

Glen Poolen
Frequent User
Username: wgipps

Post Number: 270
Posted on Thursday, 27 May, 2021 - 16:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

ive been told by a panel beater that repairs or paint touch ups are impossible with it on - it adds thickness and stiffness to the paint that it make it impossible to work with. as a result ive leaned away from them.

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 685
Posted on Thursday, 27 May, 2021 - 21:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

One should ask...why do I need a ceramic coating on a 40+ yr old car that is occasionally used ?
I can see this on a daily driver.

Jeff Martin
Frequent User
Username: jeff_r_1

Post Number: 233
Posted on Thursday, 27 May, 2021 - 23:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Does it help prevent paint chips, if it does, then it's worth it ?
When I belonged to the RR club the tour encountered a freshly chip coated road and there was no detour.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 3151
Posted on Friday, 28 May, 2021 - 07:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I do use ceramic coating on my daily driver, a 2004 Toyota Solara SLE, and will never go back to wax.

I don't find I've had any issues when I had to apply touch-up paint to chips, as if things are chipped down to the paint itself or very near to metal the ceramic coating is entirely gone from the very area in which I wish to apply the paint.

It is not a chip preventive. I actually don't know of any "applied polishing product" that would fulfill that role.

It can make removal of any sort of random "goop" that might land on the car somewhat easier, but it really depends on what the goop is. I still use the conventional cleaners for things like road tar.

And my love for ceramic coating is because of how dead easy it is to work with and how well it works (or has worked for me). Oddly enough I actually applied this stuff to my shaving mirror after having cleaned up the latest round of water evaporation deposits from it. I'll have to see if it works any better than Rain-X, which I've used in the past for this somewhat peculiar application, too.

But they mean it when they tell you not to apply this stuff if the car is hot from sitting in the sun. It's an overcast day task.

Brian

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 405
Posted on Friday, 28 May, 2021 - 11:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

My question was with cleaning in mind for being able to just wipe off road grime etc.

As I live out in the country my trips are not short, cleaning was my 1st priority.

Graham.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 3153
Posted on Friday, 28 May, 2021 - 13:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graham,

Well, for normal dust, dirt, bird droppings and the like, this stuff is, as is grossly, but accurately said, "slicker than snot on a doorknob."

It cleans up remarkably easily and the shine holds.

What's really weird is that it really is spray on, wipe around, polish off (as in dry polish, quickly), in roughly 2 by 2 foot square areas. You'd think you were spraying on window cleaner and that it would do nothing. You'd be wrong, as you quickly find if you spray water on and it beads up just like a primo wax job would cause.

Brian

Jeff Martin
Frequent User

Post Number: 235
Posted on Friday, 28 May, 2021 - 14:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That sounds like something I need for my truck, it deserves more attention then my Bentley.
Why would anyone use wax anymore, if the ceramic coating is better and was much easier to apply ?

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 3154
Posted on Saturday, 29 May, 2021 - 07:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeff Martin wrote, in part: Why would anyone use wax anymore, if the ceramic coating is better and was much easier to apply?

Seriously, you're asking this on a Rolls-Royce forum with a strong tilt toward the older cars?

It has been my observation that on the whole, those in the classic car hobby only give up outdated practices after fighting, tooth and nail, often for decades, refusing to do so.

The above being said: I'm with you.

Brian

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 2310
Posted on Sunday, 30 May, 2021 - 07:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gents,

No matter what you use, you will get idiots saying “ohhhhhhhhhh it’s so bad if you need to paint the car ohhhhhhhhhhhh”
Just use what you want to use. As Brian correctly said he has no trouble, and his car looks fantastic.

I’m sure Brian isn’t planning an accident to see if those doomsday sayers are correct.
Instead, he is enjoying his beautiful paintwork that is easy to clean and easy to maintain.

Most of these tools that say you shouldn’t do this, and shouldn’t do that are only saying what they have heard, probably not experienced.

So go hard on the ceramic coating or whatever else floats your boat and enjoy your beautiful car without worrying if it can be painted if the unthinkable happens.

Jeff Martin
Frequent User

Post Number: 236
Posted on Sunday, 30 May, 2021 - 09:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If I can find a product that does things better with less time and effort then I will use it.
I'm not such a hard core retro grouch that I won't break away from the norm.
I have mechanical mods all over my Bentley and IMO make the car easier to maintain and run better, or at least run in the intension of RR.

Even RR realized that many of their designs were not correct and improvements were made to correct those things, their straight 6 pre-war engine is a good example of this.

And my truck deserves more attention, it's my daily driver, it sits outside all year round and gets snowed on, and in the summer sits in the blazing sun.
The Bentley is totally pampered in a heated garage and driven only on sunny days.
It also takes a full day to wash, dry and wax the car, then I spend the next day doing the chrome.

Patrick, that sound like the people what they say about synthetic oil.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 2311
Posted on Sunday, 30 May, 2021 - 11:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Oh dear Jeff.

Let’s not bring probably the most controversial topic here lol.

It’s a laugh a minute mate.
I like to understand why people use the type of oil they do, for whatever reason suits them.
What I don’t understand is when someone who has used mineral oil very successfully for the last 20 years, then all of a sudden want to change to synthetic.
Why I dared to ask, and what a huge response
Like the ceramic coating, use what works for you and your car and your surroundings.

You have one very beautiful and pampered Bentley mate.
Can I come live at your house? Lol

People that worry about painting a bloody car if they have an accident lose out by worrying to much.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 3156
Posted on Sunday, 30 May, 2021 - 13:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

One of my dear, departed aunts used to say, "Don't worry because it gains you absolutely nothing and almost anything you worry about never happens!!"

How right she was, and how many years it took me to finally realize it, too.

Certain other life experiences, over which I have absolutely no control, have taught me just how trivial things like the car polish one chooses to use or the fluids one chooses to use (provided they meet or exceed the original specs) really are. If anything does go wrong, there is a clear and finite fix (even if it happens to be expensive). For the worst things in life, this is simply not true, which is what makes them "worst."

Reasonable concern and caution are not synonymous with worry.

Brian

michael vass
Frequent User
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 712
Posted on Sunday, 30 May, 2021 - 17:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

So true Brian.
Don't worry give a little whistle lol
Mike

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 2312
Posted on Sunday, 30 May, 2021 - 17:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well said Brian.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 410
Posted on Sunday, 13 June, 2021 - 18:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,......

This has been a great read.

Thank you everyone for your contributions.

And yes, I promise not to mention my brief trial with synthetic oil,.....

;)

Graham.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: