Money Well Spent Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Money Well Spent « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

PAUL DABROWSKI
New User
Username: shabbyshadow2

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, 14 March, 2006 - 10:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

After watching the news on the weekend and seeing the pictures of Her Majesty and Phillip in Sydney I can only say that all the fuss about how much money has been spent maintaining the Vice-Regal Phantom has been well and truly given the contempt it deserves. Her Majesty looked radiant as usual, and the Phantom gave the whole event the charm and dignity required. Imagine our head of state being driven around in a white Fairlane!

[No need to shout, Paul! Switch off your keyboard's CAPS LOCK next time, please. - Admin]

(Message edited by admin on March 14, 2006)

Robert Wort
Grand Master
Username: robert_wort

Post Number: 267
Posted on Tuesday, 14 March, 2006 - 16:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I know what you mean Paul.
She was carted around in Victoria in a white Fairlane and it looked quite absurd.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 552
Posted on Wednesday, 15 March, 2006 - 11:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

What a compliment to fellow Forum contributor and Club Member Bill Coburn who has been responsible for maintaining this vehicle in recent times.

Whilst I am a committed Republican, the Queen of Britain is entitled to be transported in an appropriate vehicle and the stately Phantom would be my choice over standard Govt. VIP vehicles. Getting in or out of a Fairlane/Statesman is not an elegant sight for men let alone women IMHO.

Jim.Cowin.
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 203.173.26.11
Posted on Wednesday, 15 March, 2006 - 15:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gentlemen, I agree with you 100%. The Phantom really looks the part where as the Statesman or Fairlane looks second class. I am very much a Royalist & I strongly believe that The Queen deserves only the best transport that the Australian Government can provide. To Bill. Coburn, good on you ,that lovely car does you proud.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 542
Posted on Sunday, 19 March, 2006 - 05:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Does the OZ car run on LPG as the Queens Phantoms do here in the UK.
Is there any reason if not.

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 618
Posted on Monday, 20 March, 2006 - 17:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

No Patrick and as far as I am aware the only Government vehicles at any level that run on gas are buses. It is essential for taxis of course. I know of only one Shadow around Canberra that has been converted - quite successfully and the only casualty was that we had to jack up the rear spring ratings somewhat to cope with the weight of the cylinder.

I really don't understand the fuel policy here. We have zillions and zillions of gas which we export and pipe all over the country yet no sooner did that get organised and they slapped an excise on it so that the change over is just not worth it. Petrol here is about $1.30 a litre. Personally converting our cars makes them so unoriginal we may as well throw a Chevvy in there with a fancy gearbox.

To Paul David and Jim, thankyou for your kind words. It was one of the tensest periods of my recent life. I said to my mate if that thing breaks down on the arena take me immediately to the local psych ward and have me sedated! The ignomy would have been unbearable.

There was absolutely nothing more I could do to the car but I kept reminding myself that it was a mechanical contrivance!!!!

The bottom line was that the car ran perfectly, Government House was delighted, HM was happy and it is now sitting quietly back in the Mews at Yarralumla.

After the last onslaught by the Member for Banks I was present at a reception for people who have helped Government House known as 'Friends of Government House' and when HE gave his thankyou talk he singled me out and specifically thanked me and then assured the gathering of some 200 people that 'The Rolls was staying'. Full stop.

Jim.Cowin.
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 203.173.45.222
Posted on Tuesday, 21 March, 2006 - 10:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bill,I am glad to hear that "the Rolls Will Be Staying". It's a pitty that some one did'nt say that to Paul Keating back in 1993! I'm pleased that most of the cars sold at that time stayed in Australia but it's a shame that the two Silver Cloud III Cabriolets went to the U.S.A. The National Motor Museum at Birdwood has a Phantom & I have suggested that it be restored to be used for Royal Tours in S.A.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 619
Posted on Tuesday, 21 March, 2006 - 16:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jim Why aren't you registered!!!