Would you give this man a test drive?... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Would you give this man a test drive? « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Martin Cutler
Posted on Thursday, 15 March, 2001 - 08:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Anybody see the advert in the financial review yesterday to test drive a new bentley? I'm sure if I turned up in my oil stained jeans and leather jacket, riding a 30 year old motorbike that sounds and looks as if it about to expire, they would be sure to let me test drive it!

Marty

Rick Ford (Rickford)
Posted on Thursday, 15 March, 2001 - 18:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

What a shame you couldn't take up the offer of the test drive. It would have made a first class, lightly humourous, but informative article for The RROC(A)Bulletin. Even the fact you had arrived on an Italian bike, not a BMW, would have set the piece off to a good start.!!
Re. the Bulletin: Recently I made available to David Harding, for his Films/RR listing, much info of the RR cars we supplied in the '60's. I was suprised he had not had the chance to read my piece that RREC published in 1998, Issue 227, re. the Silver Ghost Armoured Cars (replicas) used in "Lawrence of Arabia". Should your Bulletin Editor wish to use this, with photos now available of the cars 'on set'. I would be happy to oblige. Cheers, Rick Ford

Adriaan de Leeuw
Posted on Wednesday, 04 April, 2001 - 15:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It is a difficult matter however i have observed two different sutuations that say be carefull how you judge some one. The first was at Kellows in Melbourne 20 odd years ago a man in old work clothes came in looking at jaguars I think it was he was ignored by the new young sales man. he waited around for a while and was about to leave when the senior salesman saw him and rushed over. he recognised him as a customer that came in every couple of years and bought two cars at time ,after he got his wool cheque.
The second was a little closer to home my younger brother walked into a well known Rolls Royce dealer on a Sunday afternoon his dress was to say the least embarassing to the rest of the family however he is rather well off. He was not shunned by the salesman and was shown over several cars he chose a vehicle that he liked and the next day Monday took it for a test drive and payed $45000 cash for it. That salesman had also learned in the past never judge a book by its cover.

ChrisG (144.137.124.253)
Posted on Tuesday, 07 May, 2002 - 23:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My father told me the following story recently:

When I was working in London in the late 1950s there were a number of Australian dentists I knew who were working the NHS (National Health System) in such a way as to earn up to &300 per week. This was ten times what a bus driver earned at the time and quite a sum in anyone's language.

One of these dentists decided to buy a new model of sports car (possibly a TR2). His experience with the snooty salesman was not to his liking - "No car is available at this time". He decided to get some revenge.

He related his experience to three similarly "flush" dentist colleagues, and each said that yes, they'd rather like to buy the same sort of car as well. Each, however expressed a different preference of colour.

Our hero returned the next morning to the dealership, collared the same salesman and told him that he would like to buy a car in British Motor Racing Green. As the salesman started to realise that this was a serious enquiry he received the killer blow.

He would only buy the car if the salesman managed to get it and three others - one White, one Red and one Blue - delivered by 1:00 PM that day.

My father cannot say whether the deal went ahead, but you can imagine the feverish state that salesman was in for those few hours!