Car Wraps. Good or Bad? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Car Wraps. Good or Bad? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

OldMate
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 110.143.5.22
Posted on Friday, 08 January, 2021 - 13:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have seen lots on info on wrapping cars instead of painting them or signwriting them. Some suppliers suggest that wraps can be used to protect the underlying paintwork from stone chips and UV.

It seems there are some newer Rolls-Royces that have utilised wrapping with some success.

Could wrapping be used with older cars? How old is the oldest car that has had it done well?

I am not referring to those who butcher their cars and make an art of ridiculous modifications. I am more asking about serious owners who have explored this technology and achieved a good (or bad) result.

I'm interested to know if wrapping a Roll-Royce is, in the eyes of this forum sacrilege or the next frontier in restoration & preservation.

All thoughts welcome.

A link for reference below:

https://www.provinyl.com.au/

(Message approved by david_gore)

Trevor Hodgekinson
Frequent User
Username: wm20

Post Number: 212
Posted on Saturday, 09 January, 2021 - 08:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

You can wrap any vehicle.
However this will depend upon there being a map for the vehicle available
If the paint is sound, it will not damage the vehicle but for old cars you generally need to do a good cut & polish first.
Eventually the plastic will start to peel off at the edges so it is not perminent

Glen Poolen
Frequent User
Username: wgipps

Post Number: 264
Posted on Saturday, 09 January, 2021 - 09:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I think i saw something that you can wrap a car in clear to show the underlying car colour so it always looks shiny. Is that right?

Any there is some sort of UV protection involved as well - is that right?

Silver Shadow 1 - i really like the Seychelles blue mine is in so if it was protective and always looked shiny i would really consider it.

But - if youre going to paying RR prices (and I have no doubt as an RR owner you will be charging me top $ for that privlege), I want the RR finished product and it will need to last very well for more than a couple/few years.

Trevor Pickering
Experienced User
Username: commander1

Post Number: 179
Posted on Sunday, 10 January, 2021 - 03:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Some car companies offer a clear wrap over the front of their cars to protect againts stone chips.

I did see a Phantom V11 with a white wrap and it looked terrible.
Paint every time for me.

Trevor Hodgekinson
Frequent User
Username: wm20

Post Number: 213
Posted on Sunday, 10 January, 2021 - 10:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Plastic wrapping looks like plastic wrapping not paint.
One of my customers pioneered this in Australia
He had the scanner used to make the digital surface map.
It was designed to replace sign writing , not for protecting paint.
The wraps last for 3 to 10 years depending upon the amount of sunlight.
UV breaks down the plastic film
Actually there is 2 of them the printed film then a thinner overlay to prevent the paint oxadizing.

Then there is the problem of expelling all of the air.
A very difficult job and like cheap stick on window tint very easy to make a total mess of .

The best protection for you paint is a silicone based polish but that make touching up impossible
The second best is wax

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: