Would you respray a Silver Shadow? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Would you respray a Silver Shadow? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David Sibthorpe
New User
Username: s1bby

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, 08 June, 2020 - 15:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have a '76 Shadow which came from regional north QLD and was an everyday drive before i was barn parked 11 years ago. While i am doing hydraulic work to make the thing stop, it runs really well and is immaculate inside. The issue i have is that the original paint has imperfections, especially around top of doors and bonnet. The sides are fine. The question to those more familiar with the RR scene is whether a respray would effect the value of the car. Are they supposed to be maintained as original no matter the bubbles, much like people ageing gracefully, or would a tidy up and respray in the original colour make the car more attractive. It would look better for sure. Feedback welcomed.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3711
Posted on Monday, 08 June, 2020 - 16:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

As always, R-R/B ownership carries the privilege of your being the final arbiter of how your car is maintained and used.

Partial and full resprays are undertaken subject to the owner's wishes and financial resources either professionally or by DIY owners with the relevant equipment and facilities. The effect on the car value is entirely dependent on the skill and competence of whoever undertakes the work.

My suggestion regarding your vehicle would be to first concentrate on the mechanical condition of your car before doing anything with its appearance. Your car will benefit from regular use instead of being a "garage queen" and you will enjoy ownership.

Once you have rectified any mechanical issues that arise and subject to available funds, you can then concentrate on the appearance of your car knowing it can be driven and enjoyed on a regular basis between "cosmetic surgeries".

Alan Dibley
Frequent User
Username: alsdibley

Post Number: 238
Posted on Monday, 08 June, 2020 - 17:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

...and remember that ANY car - Rolls Royce or other - would have been resprayed to some degree after 40+ years of use. Repainting is a matter of routine, so don't fret about it. Good luck with the hydraulics - this is the place to get help.

Alan D.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 3055
Posted on Tuesday, 09 June, 2020 - 00:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

And I'd still take a car with a "bad respray" that's been well maintained otherwise, and is intact, to one where "bubbles" are visible, as that suggests something's going on beneath the paint.

This was true, and now is true again, but elsewhere on the car, on SRH33576.

Brian

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 2322
Posted on Tuesday, 09 June, 2020 - 04:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A bad respray can be the result of covered up corrosion and bucket loads of filler that only rears its head when the damp ingress after time has passed.
Of course the car could be well maintained and ready for use but sadly most get shoved in a shed and not used to see the light of day.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 3056
Posted on Tuesday, 09 June, 2020 - 09:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick Lockyer:

quote:

A bad respray can be the result of covered up corrosion and bucket loads of filler that only rears its head when the damp ingress after time has passed.

Absolutely true as well. Due diligence before purchase on some cars, and notably those that came from Crewe, has to be a lot more "due" than others.

And if you are not a capable DIY mechanic, and know next to nothing about cars and are not inclined to learn, anything but a stellar example (and sometimes those, if you don't use them and keep them in running order) will likely be a money pit that leaves you exhausted and disappointed.

Brian

David Sibthorpe
New User
Username: s1bby

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, 11 June, 2020 - 18:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

All, sincere thanks. Mechanically the vehicle is completely original, full service history etc, notwithstanding the ‘barn’ period in its life. Once I complete braking system repairs I intend to register the vehicle and enjoy its sweet ride on sunny days. SRH23511

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: