Banning Petrol cars, First Boris, now... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Banning Petrol cars, First Boris, now "Sco Mo" ? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Graham Hutton
Experienced User
Username: gph

Post Number: 76
Posted on Thursday, 06 February, 2020 - 09:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The Sydney morning herald this morning predicted that Australia could / should follow Boris Johnson's
plan to ban petrol driven cars by 2035, now for some of us that wont be an issue, we will be having afternoon tea with Sir Henry Royce by then. but what about the future of our beloved cars, and the millions of other internal combustion engines around the world kept alive by dedicated enthusiasts like so many here? I suppose it could be argued that EV's and Hybrids will take some time to become mainstream automobiles and that will go well beyond 2035. It would be a tragedy IMHO to consign classic, Vintage & Veteran cars to a life of static display in some car museum (where some already reside).

Graham Phillips
Frequent User
Username: playtime

Post Number: 229
Posted on Thursday, 06 February, 2020 - 12:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

The meaning is that they would like to go down the road of no more petrol or diesel cars being MADE by that time, you can still own and operate what you have just that no more will be built.

Personally I think its going to bite them in the arse but I'll just be one of those pointing and laughing at them,....

Graham.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3577
Posted on Thursday, 06 February, 2020 - 15:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Natural or synthetic liquid fuels for internal combustion engines will still be in demand for transportation long after electric vehicles dominate the roads; think trains, planes and road vehicles in sparsely populated remote areas to start with.

With appropriate emission-control systems hidden inside historic vehicles, it should be possible to recreate "days of old" without attendant pollution problems and too many insurmountable engineering problems.

Their use in more densely settled areas will inevitably be restricted however some provisions will be made to allow use of traditional and historic vehicles on special occasions but not for everyday use.

One area where similar problems will arise is sure to be historic steam train operations and many of these groups have well-placed supporters will would actively campaign/use their influence to ensure these activities remain possible in future.

Trevor Hodgekinson
Experienced User
Username: wm20

Post Number: 152
Posted on Friday, 07 February, 2020 - 08:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Please read the article in full before making comment.
No one is banning petrol / diesel vehicles.
They are banning the SALE of NEW petrol / diesel vehicles in 2035.
Then there will be a wind down period of probably 20 years.

I would draw your attention to the introduction of Tier II for small engines.
It was due to come in July 1 2019 at the retail level
It was enforced at the wholesale level as of July 1 2018 so in May- June lots of stuff was off loaded as low as 1/3 the usual wholesale price.
This was to allow the retailers to clear stocks of non-compliant engines.
Well guess what happened ?
The drought meant no one was buying chain saws, blowers, line trimmers and mower .
Thus retailers ( read Bunnings ) still had massive amounts of non-compliant engines at June 2019 ( because they did not pass on the massive discounts ) so the vitally important ant- pollution introduction of Tier II was put back a year and the word from my wholesalers is it will most likely go back to 2021 because retailers still have too much stock.
What they will do is ban the USE of fossel fuled vehicles in specific places like in the city extended CBDs or even airports.
This will be done to remove emmissions at the places where emissions are measured so they can claim total emissions are falling.

Graham Hutton
Experienced User
Username: gph

Post Number: 77
Posted on Saturday, 08 February, 2020 - 02:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you Trevor, I did read the article and I was aware of the ban referring to “new” vehicles , not existing vehicles. So I apologise for my poor wording. I am most interested in the progressive ban, which I must say I wasn’t aware of.
I Clearly need to do more reading on the matter.

Trevor Hodgekinson
Experienced User
Username: wm20

Post Number: 153
Posted on Saturday, 08 February, 2020 - 04:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well the whole EPA emissions is a joke
Tier II engines are all 50:1 or leaner oil mix.
However the ban does not apply to "private" sellers who sell through places like Amazon or ebay
Look around the web for all the brand new 8:1 engines being sold.
And they are TIER I non-compliant and we have had Tier I for around 10 years

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: