A Silver Shadow CROSSOVER Alternator ? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » A Silver Shadow CROSSOVER Alternator ? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mike Thompson
Prolific User
Username: vroomrr

Post Number: 1130
Posted on Saturday, 14 December, 2019 - 09:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

In another thread I said:
-----
An Alternator search said the AC Delco 3342441A is a replacement for at least the Silver Shadow II. And the Lucas Model 20 ACR was also put into Triumphs as well as Jaguars with part number C39947. If someone can pin down an alternative I would love to add it to the CROSSOVER list.

PS the part number UE41575 which is supposed to be the Silver Shadow part number for the Alternator, brought nothing but used and new RR alternators.
-----

It would be nice if indeed I could add this to the collection of CROSSOVER parts. Each part found in a well known brand name ensures yet one more part that will continue to be available for the older Rolls Royce line to continue.

I believe this concept should be applied to each "Technical Forum" title (not just Silver Shadow Series) to continue availability of parts and at a price one can afford.

What do you think, and do you know a crossover for a Silver Shadow alternator? Thanks

Mark Aldridge
Frequent User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 650
Posted on Saturday, 14 December, 2019 - 10:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mike, the later ss1 ss2 and early Spirits use a CAV alternator at least in the UK.
Mark

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 2228
Posted on Saturday, 14 December, 2019 - 10:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

To use any type ACR alternator etc would result in a bodge.

1. bodge make mounting bracket.

2. bodge remove loom to Cav regulator, remove regulator.
A loopy idea!

3. bodge make up new charge feed loom from ACR alternator with internal regulator as that type has.

4. Car now has a bodge that in future years no one would know what has been carried out.

Has to be a loopy idea!

Mike Thompson
Prolific User
Username: vroomrr

Post Number: 1131
Posted on Saturday, 14 December, 2019 - 12:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick Lockyer

So the only constructive comment you can give is buy a UE41575 OEM Rolls Royce alternator until none exists then junk the car? Great conserving of the Rolls Royce line.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 2169
Posted on Saturday, 14 December, 2019 - 15:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Patrick

The alternator on my car appeared to be on the blink a couple of years ago so I bought a substitute alternator, in case it failed. I could then keep my car on the road whilst waiting for my next trip to the UK, when I could call in at FS and get a genuine replacement. The problem with buying from the US is the doubling up of postal charges due to them being sold on an exchange basis.

So far my alternator has held up ok, so I have not had to use the substitute. However if I do, the mods to the car are easily reversible. The bracket does not need altering and the Cav regulator can easily be bypassed and remain in place for later re-connection.

https://www.jegs.com/i/Tuff-Stuff/908/7127NC/10002/-1

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 2230
Posted on Saturday, 14 December, 2019 - 16:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff, that's great to hear.
The CAV is most reliable when serviced correctly.
Other causes and failings can be blamed for alternators giving up early in their 250000+ mile life.
It seems some junk the car over an alternator failure!
Not here in the UK and many other parts of the world thank goodness.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: