1980's Model Rolls-Royce Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » 1980's Model Rolls-Royce « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Terry Campion
Posted From: 212.138.47.17
Posted on Tuesday, 22 April, 2003 - 02:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I need some advice as I am looking for the first time to purchase a Rolls-Royce. Are there any models in the 80's that hold their value better than others or particular 80's models that seem more reliable with better resale?

Looking for sound advice......

John Dare
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 139.134.57.153
Posted on Monday, 09 June, 2003 - 16:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Terry Campion. re your enquiry concerning purchase of a R-R please call me to discuss. call 03 9 5891516. leave message if I am out. Regret that you do not appear to have had any replies to date. rgds John Dare

Andrew McMaster
Yet to post message
Username: andrewtas

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, 24 July, 2003 - 20:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Terry,
I, too, am seeking the same advice as you, being a first time buyer. What have you discovered? Perhaps we can compare notes? Have you made a purchase yet?
Cheers,
Andrew

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 76
Posted on Thursday, 24 July, 2003 - 21:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Andrew,

May I respectfully suggest that your criteria for purchasing a car should not be financial because the purchase of any car even "classic cars" is not justified on financial grounds as other forms of investment will give much higher returns.

The selection of a car should be based on your driving needs and preferences as whatever car you buy must provide driving pleasure and satisfaction from ownership as the tangible benefits from your investing funds in the purchase. The economic value of these benefits cannot be quantified during the period of ownership or realised when the vehicle is eventually sold. To put it bluntly, the car is no different to a toy albeit an expensive one [after all "the only difference between a man and a boy is the cost of their toys!!!"].

My advice is to establish the price range you can afford then look carefully at the various models that fall in this range; get to know them and spend as much time as possible driving them under different conditions so you develop a good appreciation of their strengths/weaknesses and determine which has the greatest appeal to you. Above all, studiously ignore all the freely-given "advice" you receive regarding the merits/otherwise of particular models until you have formed your own opinions and then look for advisers who give objective factual information in response to your questions.

The best advice I can give is the old Latin proverb "festina lente - hasten slowly" and do not purchase a car until you feel really confident about your choice of model that best suits you. Join the Club, attend Club activities and ask members to take you in their cars so you can get to know the cars. Use this forum to ask specific questions about models of interest to you - there are a number of regular contributors who will provide good information and more importantly comment on inaccurate information from others.

The reason there has not been any response to this thread is the basic fact that we [the readers] do not know what you want and until you do know; we cannot really help you with constructive comments.

Andrew McMaster
New User
Username: andrewtas

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, 25 July, 2003 - 08:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David,
Appreciate your frankness.
Andrew