VicRoads only have engine no with VIN... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » VicRoads only have engine no with VIN blank « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Colin Silver
Experienced User
Username: colsilver

Post Number: 172
Posted on Saturday, 24 August, 2019 - 12:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

After Dad bought the Cloud 1 some 3+ decades ago then giving it to me for handing down the Silver line, neither of us picked up the anomaly. I am undecided on approaching VicRoads. But am thinking on my passing that my sons might have difficulty in registration name transference. Am thinking of my insurance too, even though anyone with brains will know not many SC1's are still around. Ideas or experience will be appreciated.

Glen Poolen
Experienced User
Username: wgipps

Post Number: 186
Posted on Saturday, 24 August, 2019 - 17:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Im sorry Colin but im not sure i understand the question. Your car has no VIN - thats fine most old cars dont. Can you detail what you are planning?

Colin Silver
Experienced User

Post Number: 174
Posted on Saturday, 24 August, 2019 - 20:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Glen, thanks for the response. The plate on the firewall shows SWA xxx, which in modern times would be described as a VIN. But on VicRoads records they only have the engine number.

Given scarcity of SC1 cars remaining 64 years on I am concerned in the future that this might cause a problem. i.e was the motor put into another chassis before my father bought it? I maybe catastrophising.

Mike Thompson
Frequent User
Username: vroomrr

Post Number: 910
Posted on Saturday, 24 August, 2019 - 23:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'm not sure how things are done in Aussie land, but in the USA if you have an old car that has no Vin you can go to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) and they can assign a Vin number to the car. Just bring all the proof that you own it and they can assign the number.

Then the future is secure.

Glen Poolen
Experienced User

Post Number: 187
Posted on Sunday, 25 August, 2019 - 06:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Colin personally i dont think it is in issue.
If VicRoads was going to change the registration rules it would need to be a national thing or else everyone would register them elsewhere. And if it was going to be a national thing, they would give owners an opportunity to get one.
I would be more worried about where youre kids are going to put you when you get old and crazy or where they are going to source spare parts for your car.

Mark Herbstreit
Frequent User
Username: mark_herbstreit

Post Number: 201
Posted on Sunday, 25 August, 2019 - 11:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I don’t really see a problem. If VicRoads has registered it without having all the boxes filled, I think it is their issue. The engine number for your series should be half the chassis number eg for your SWAxxx chassis the engine number should be SAxxx divided by 2. Confirm this and rule out an engine swap. Ring VicRoads and see what they require. They may want the car presented to update details. Make the earliest appointment you can (not Monday or Friday )have the chassis plate polished and engine number degreased and clearly visible.

John Kilkenny
Frequent User
Username: john_kilkenny

Post Number: 314
Posted on Sunday, 25 August, 2019 - 11:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I imported my Shadow 1 (SRH1405) in 1991 and because this number is stamped into the chassis plate VicRoads had no problem in using this as the VIN number.

Mike Thompson
Frequent User

Post Number: 915
Posted on Sunday, 25 August, 2019 - 12:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It seems people are saying that VicRoads has no provision for making a VIN number for you. Google says "In 1954, automakers began using a vehicle identification number (VIN) for each vehicle they produced." So anything before that will need to invent a VIN number for it.

Colin Silver
Experienced User

Post Number: 175
Posted on Sunday, 25 August, 2019 - 17:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark, the engine number starts with SA. Whew.

Thanks everyone for calming me down. If Shannons refuse a claim based on above confusion, I will be asking for the clout of the cloud community. :-)

Mike Thompson
Frequent User

Post Number: 917
Posted on Monday, 26 August, 2019 - 01:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Why does does one Silver Cloud have two head lights and the other one on each side. I was thinking one is a Bentley the other a Rolls but both have the Winged Lady? (I photoshop the two together.)

rolls

Glen Poolen
Experienced User

Post Number: 188
Posted on Monday, 26 August, 2019 - 07:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Colin how could they refuse a claim. if you have provided them with all the information they cant refuse it.

Colin Silver
Experienced User

Post Number: 176
Posted on Monday, 26 August, 2019 - 08:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mike, the first Silver Cloud came with single lights and 6 cylinder engine. RR wanted to keep the beautiful shape for their next model years on. The Silver Cloud was then called the Silver Cloud 1 and then the twin light V8 Silver Cloud II was made.
That's my understanding.

Colin Silver
Experienced User

Post Number: 177
Posted on Monday, 26 August, 2019 - 09:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Glen, I nor Dad supplied the information. The details carried on from Dad's purchase and VicRoads transfer. Also, per comments above about a VIN, I thought the factory's firewall riveted plate was in effect a VIN, thus my query why VicRoads doesn't have the SWAxxx on file.

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Prolific User
Username: soviet

Post Number: 1586
Posted on Monday, 26 August, 2019 - 15:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Colin I don't think any Cloud right up to the last one built had a VIN - Vehicle Identification Number.

They had a chassis number and an engine number.

One of my cars is a 1970 Jaguar 420G first registered to Repco Ltd Melbourne Australia and delivered by the Melbourne Jaguar Dealer Bryson Industries Ltd.

This car has no VIN.

This car would have been registered in Australia after the last Cloud a Cloud III was made.

I would sweat it, nor would I bother contacting the authorities in Victoria.

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Prolific User
Username: soviet

Post Number: 1587
Posted on Monday, 26 August, 2019 - 15:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Last line should read I would NOT sweat it.

Cloud I single headlights. Ditto for Cloud II.

Only the Cloud III had dual headlights.

Of course these days you can find a Cloud I or II with dual headlights because somebody wanted to modify it. Just like you can find many Bentley's especially in the USA with a Rolls Royce front.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: