The Phantom Phantom Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » The Phantom Phantom « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User
Username: omar

Post Number: 1839
Posted on Sunday, 14 July, 2019 - 05:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User

Post Number: 1840
Posted on Sunday, 14 July, 2019 - 05:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

After years of trying to figure out what I wanted, I decided that a regular 4 door Phantom will keep me hankering for the best of the best. This is the Azure of Phantoms - The Corniche of Phantoms... The car that I would always kick myself for not getting. That is why I ditched the idea of getting a regular 4 door.
This car is a Mansory Bel Air edition of the Phantom Drop Head Coupes - a 2008 Model year
I love it.....
I had to part exchange my Black Azure and Continental R and a shed load of cash.

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User

Post Number: 1841
Posted on Sunday, 14 July, 2019 - 05:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Here are the babies I had to hand over to the new owner plus all that hard earned cash....

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2884
Posted on Sunday, 14 July, 2019 - 06:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,

Quite lovely, and very restrained for any Mansory treatment. In looking at images of other Mansory Bel Air editions they threw a few more chrome geegaws on that I did not care for at all.

I love the interior, completely. What is the wood? It's light, which is entirely appropriate to the car, but it looks like some sort of straight-grained maple (perhaps), and I don't think RR itself did anything but veneers at that time.

Brian

Benoit Leus
Frequent User
Username: benoitleus

Post Number: 399
Posted on Sunday, 14 July, 2019 - 06:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,

that is just amazing.
You're right that the regular 4-door, wonderfull as it is, is no match for this.
It will be hard keeping a low profile when driving around in it.
Can I say I'm just a bit jealous (but in a good way).

Benoit

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Prolific User
Username: soviet

Post Number: 1502
Posted on Sunday, 14 July, 2019 - 07:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Supercool Omar, though I want one in black with deep Burgundy leather and dark woodwork.

Omar you did tell the missus that you swapped two cars for one plus Vladimir's small bungle of black market undeclared cash plus The Jacket, so you could obtain it as her backup vehicle for weekend cruising - didn't you?

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 2120
Posted on Sunday, 14 July, 2019 - 08:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar

Have you told the missus yet, or are you hoping she won't notice.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 2113
Posted on Sunday, 14 July, 2019 - 08:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,
That is SOOOO you mate.
The colour combo is just stunning, and super cool, without being over the top.

I can just see you cruising the streets in your robes, flowing like a Batman cape in the wind behind you.

This is a magnificent Drop Head Coupe of which not many were made.

A truely rare a beautiful car mate.
Congratulations

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3376
Posted on Sunday, 14 July, 2019 - 08:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,

For one of the few times in my life, I am lost for words......................

This car obviously had your name on it when it was first created and then someone paid the initial depreciation on your behalf so you could acquire it at your price.

I have to ask the question though - what was your technique to get family support for the acquisition?

OK - now for the crunch - we are waiting for the photo of you in the car wearing "The Jacket"......

Congratulations on achieving your dream and may you have many happy hours creating memories that will remain with you for the rest of your life.

Mike Thompson
Frequent User
Username: vroomrr

Post Number: 726
Posted on Sunday, 14 July, 2019 - 09:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Although like Vlad I prefer black, black and Texas don't get along. I see you have the same problem, white goes with your temps too.

Dubai (average)

Month.....High / Low(°F)......Rain
June......103° / 82°.........0 days
July.......106° / 86°.........0 days
August...106° / 87°.........0 days

richard george yeaman
Prolific User
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 1102
Posted on Sunday, 14 July, 2019 - 09:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar what a wonderful car, I wish you health and wealth to enjoy it, The jewel in the crown ENJOY.

Richard.

richard george yeaman
Prolific User
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 1103
Posted on Sunday, 14 July, 2019 - 09:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I liked it so much it deserved a double dunt.

Richard.

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 473
Posted on Sunday, 14 July, 2019 - 11:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Wow.

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User

Post Number: 1844
Posted on Sunday, 14 July, 2019 - 12:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

To all of you members of my virtual family - first of all I wish to say that I love you all.
Secondly - Man you know me soooo well and have asked some targeted questions.
How indeed do you manage the wife through this difficult story in a convincing way? At first I thought of simply hiding the car. Then after a test drive I looked at it and thought " how the hell do you hide something this big?"
Then the penny dropped....... You must all remember that I have been on a slow car sale campaign to cut down my collection of cars. Well the proceeds from that went into the safe at home until I had amassed enough cash for the exchange. Also I did the two cars out of the house for only one coming back into the house trick. The combination worked and now I have the Phantom.

One of the issues throughout the deal has been to retain the Azure and with how it all turned out, I still have the blue Azure and now also the white Phantom.

I have been waiting for this car to get the jacket photo... so now that I have it the photos will happen.

Take care brothers.... and luv to all
Omar

ross kowalski
Prolific User
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 1165
Posted on Sunday, 14 July, 2019 - 21:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,

That phantom has found a good custodian, you have a car you will love driving and we get to find out if they are OK to own. Very seldom everyone Wins but there you go.

Cheers.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 2114
Posted on Sunday, 14 July, 2019 - 22:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good call Ross.

I forgot about the upcoming reviews.

Mark Luft
Frequent User
Username: bentleyman1993

Post Number: 276
Posted on Tuesday, 16 July, 2019 - 03:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,

AMAZING RIDE FOR YOU!!

Congratulations!

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User

Post Number: 1848
Posted on Tuesday, 16 July, 2019 - 04:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It is lovely to have such a warm community on this forum. Thanks guys.

Omar

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 2117
Posted on Tuesday, 16 July, 2019 - 18:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,
In reply to Vlad’s comments re you and other matters regarding aliens, I will re post my part of the reply that also has more meaning in this thread
“The Phantom Phantom”

Vlad,
You might be onto something here.

SURELY it couldn’t have been that easy with Mrs Shams??

I think there is some skullduggery afoot here.
I am of the thought there was a lot of sucking up, bargaining, maybe even some begging, and 2 years worth of house work and endless shopping trips with the whole family Mr Shams is having to do.
Not to mention, the removal of the hoist outside the kitchen window?

Omar???

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User

Post Number: 1854
Posted on Wednesday, 17 July, 2019 - 05:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bloody Hell Patrick.... Do you have a camera in my house??? Did you see all sucking up and begging sessions or just the first 8? Yes all the things that you imagined happened but we drew the line at the kitchen window. The view out of the kitchen is still the hoist....

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User

Post Number: 1855
Posted on Wednesday, 17 July, 2019 - 05:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

the Phantom needs a few jobs doing to it as a consequence of previous owner neglect.
I need 4 struts to hold the bonnet and boot open. These are on order. I also need a spare key.
OMG are those ever expensive???
Luckily we have a few relatives of Vladimir here who can cloan anything and they can get me a spare key for the princely sum of US$500.

I also have to ditch the Bluetooth contraption that was added by the previous owner and return all the audio/TV systems to original.
The remedial work will be ongoing for a while.

Also I need to ditch the 24" wheels that have been installed. luckily the car came with a spare set of factory wheels too.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3380
Posted on Wednesday, 17 July, 2019 - 06:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,

Be careful - the creatures from the dark side might clone a key for themselves and come visiting one night.

No doubt your Phantom would command an attractive price from other less honest low-life creatures in our world.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 2118
Posted on Wednesday, 17 July, 2019 - 09:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes Omar,
Vlad, David & I have clear vision all over the Shams extensive walled compound. You do remember the conversation on these pages about your bedroom antics and how accurate we were

David,
I am sure the guard dogs and security that patrol within the Shams compound would deter any of the key cloners.

I have some recent images sent to me by security people in Dubai on Vlad’s payroll. This image shows the eastern perimeter fence of the Shams compound.

The Dubai police patrol this fence line in this

Vlad’s hand picked guards man Omar’s personal designed front gates of the compound.

We have also been able to source a pic of Omar doing some patrols of his compound in one of his new Israeli built AWD.

I think the Phantom will be safe.

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Prolific User
Username: soviet

Post Number: 1510
Posted on Wednesday, 17 July, 2019 - 15:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

IT IS NOT ME.

IT IS THE SOVIET

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 2121
Posted on Wednesday, 17 July, 2019 - 17:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

R I G H T!

Mike Thompson
Frequent User
Username: vroomrr

Post Number: 738
Posted on Thursday, 18 July, 2019 - 02:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

You forgot his private oil well to fund all the cars.

oil

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User

Post Number: 1857
Posted on Thursday, 18 July, 2019 - 03:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good advice David

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User

Post Number: 1896
Posted on Sunday, 03 November, 2019 - 05:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear All,
Good news about Phantom ownership. Here are a few lessons I have learnt.
1 The car is a BMW and therefore really cheap to own
2 The price of BMW parts is fair even new although you dont need to buy everything new
3 The roof on the Drophead Coupe is a copy of the 6 series BMW system
4 The cars are very well built indeed
5 No matter how low the mileage - previous owners can f*$k the cars up royally without even trying.
6 You can almost do most of the work yourself.
7 Never disconnect the door actuator arm as this is also the end-stop for making sure the door does not open beyond a certain limit after which the door gets a heart churning dent.
8 Air conditioning is amazing
9 Tyres are becoming more affordable now.
10 The car has 2 batteries and 2 alternators
11 The car has the "Moses effect" on the roads.... everyone allows you to go anywhere you want in one of these cars
12 The car is obscenely large and parking it requires a battle plan.
13 The doors take a lot of getting used to. They are awkward to use and very very thick. Meaning that you need at least 3 feet of space beside you to be able to get in and out.

More later.
Omar

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 2185
Posted on Sunday, 03 November, 2019 - 07:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,

This is the first time we have ever seen some first hand ownership comments re one of these magnificent cars.

A great insight to ownership.

Thank you.

Alan Dibley
Frequent User
Username: alsdibley

Post Number: 216
Posted on Sunday, 03 November, 2019 - 19:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar, please bring your new toy to the next get-together so that we can all form our own opinions.
We will all put in a pound each to pay for the petrol.

Alan D.

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User

Post Number: 1897
Posted on Monday, 04 November, 2019 - 01:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Alan,
Yes for sure - if the session is in Dubai.....
Omar

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 2248
Posted on Wednesday, 22 April, 2020 - 08:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A truely beautiful car.

Omar,
How is she going now you have had a while to get used to her mate?

Michael Carr
Experienced User
Username: carsie

Post Number: 67
Posted on Wednesday, 22 July, 2020 - 23:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Delighted for you Omar! Really pleased for you. No jealousy, just admiration :-) 10/10

Hubert Kelly
Frequent User
Username: h_kelly

Post Number: 402
Posted on Thursday, 23 July, 2020 - 02:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Beautiful car Omar, congrats.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: