What is your shadow up to? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » What is your shadow up to? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

ross kowalski
Grand Master
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 1111
Posted on Tuesday, 28 May, 2019 - 09:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

One of the things I most enjoy about this forum is the range of experiences everyone has with their cars.

I thought of Patrick L and his trailer hitch this morning when I chained up a snow machine carcass to drag it closer to electricity for breaking.

Heres a shot ot the trunk filled with snow machine guts.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User
Username: playtime

Post Number: 101
Posted on Tuesday, 28 May, 2019 - 13:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,...

Well mine is at work and as I drove out in the truck I look into the car park to see it surrounded by about half a dozen people all gawking at it,...

I washed it this morning while it was warming up,....

Now I bet I'll have to rewash it to get all the sticky finger prints off it when I get back home,..

Graham.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3320
Posted on Tuesday, 28 May, 2019 - 14:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graham,

I hope you are the boss and are solely responsible for salary reviews.................

Otherwise, the "powers-that-be" might decide your current remuneration is more than sufficient for the immediate future.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 104
Posted on Tuesday, 28 May, 2019 - 15:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,...

Sir!
(David)

"Them's FIGHT'N words!"

Graham.

David Gore

Post Number: 3321
Posted on Tuesday, 28 May, 2019 - 19:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Grahame,

Of course my tongue was stuck firmly in my cheek whilst writing the above.................................

Mike Thompson
Frequent User
Username: vroomrr

Post Number: 550
Posted on Saturday, 01 June, 2019 - 09:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well you pretty much so know what I've been up to with my Shadow, but when I towed it home I thought there would be a big reaction from the neighbors (I'm sure none had ever seen a RR in person). No, they looked and kept on talking. One came over later and ask what is it? I said have you seen the front end, no, looked, oh a Rolls Royce, pretty car.

I'm finishing up the interior so I can get it in the air to strip out all the old brake system, that corroded mess that it is.

Getting the RR turned around to the place it was (as I think I said) was an all day long job of hooking up a chain moving the RR with my truck 5 feet until it was sideways, then moving the truck and doing it over and over, then by come along into place.

Mike Thompson
Frequent User

Post Number: 557
Posted on Sunday, 02 June, 2019 - 07:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David It must be strange that the rest of the Western Civilization is coming into summer (it is already here in Texas 90 degrees and climbing) and it is coming into winter there. No wonder Russians have dachas.

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 1121
Posted on Monday, 03 June, 2019 - 03:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Breakfast

Then a table for a mini starter repair

Mike Thompson
Frequent User

Post Number: 562
Posted on Monday, 03 June, 2019 - 03:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross you park your RR so any doorbanger can come along and work their magic on the side of your car? And it looks like you are staring to have rust issues. Oh and The Lady is made out of what? :-)

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 1122
Posted on Monday, 03 June, 2019 - 05:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mike,

As you might have guessed, I pretty much park wherever.

I don't have any rust issues yet The car has never been "restored". Most folks just weld bits in and Bondo over that making more rust. The underneath, floors, and panels are great but there is some sheet metal rust in the rear valances and a little on the outside rockers.

There is some surface rust coming through the paint because I washed the car down with a bleach solution in preparation for painting it next week

The SOE is a urethane casting of my original. It's weathered to a nice frosted look.

Mike Thompson
Frequent User

Post Number: 570
Posted on Monday, 03 June, 2019 - 12:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross, Bleach is kind of slimy have you done that before? And this is the first look at that stage on your car, was it at Woodstock? :-)

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 1125
Posted on Thursday, 06 June, 2019 - 22:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mike,

Bleach is good stuff but only when appropriate. It rusts metal terribly and damages some paints. But it can't be beat for killing mold spores.

I'm going to paint the car, I just haven't decided on a color yet.

Robert J. Sprauer
Grand Master
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 438
Posted on Thursday, 06 June, 2019 - 22:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Any prep for painting should involve a solvent based wipe prior to laying down any primer, topcoat etc. It will kill any mold and remove any impurities on the surface. This is standard procedure at any paint facility.
Air delivery also has to be extremely clean and desicated. Air lines from compressors contain alot of impurities which show up in the paint.

Mike Thompson
Frequent User

Post Number: 589
Posted on Friday, 07 June, 2019 - 01:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross what I did is go to google images and put in silver shadow. It brings up lots of different shadows and all the various color schemes. I pretty much knew what I wanted but seeing it convinced me which colors to choose. Personally I would go with a darker blue or silver on your car. Then the inner doors won't stand out if you don't want to paint them. As:

http://car-from-uk.com/ebay/carphotos/full/ebay480594.jpg

or

https://www.winchesterclassiccars.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/1966-rolls-royce-home-1_edited-1.jpg

But color is a very personal choice I'm finding out. I'm going with the below as I have posted before.

car color

Sure wish I had those bumpers though, want to trade ? :-)

Mike Thompson
Frequent User

Post Number: 590
Posted on Friday, 07 June, 2019 - 01:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Or even a happy medium between the two above colors.

http://www.ax201.com/images/The%20Blue%20Car/The%20Blue%20Car/N&S-1044.jpg

Mike Thompson
Frequent User

Post Number: 593
Posted on Friday, 07 June, 2019 - 08:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This what I need a blow up paint booth. That would give the neighbors something to talk about as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HyAq3tLXlw

(And anything google touches turn to faeces. Youtube was so nice before google took it over and turned it into a commercial system. With no control over how you make a page. I used to make backgrounds for people. Now you can't.

Google took over the free newsgroup Dejanews - the first thing they did is take off all the graphics (pictures) so now you look up a how to, no pictures.

They got the faeces touch. Every 5 seconds they change something. Some people don't like change! )

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 1126
Posted on Friday, 07 June, 2019 - 08:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mike,

Good eye. That blue on blue is stunning. Hmmmm

If only it had White Walls.

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 1127
Posted on Friday, 07 June, 2019 - 08:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mike,

I also hear you on the bumpers. While Rolls Royce did a very good job with their 5mph federal bumpers I agree the originals are nicer.

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 1128
Posted on Friday, 07 June, 2019 - 09:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Robert,

Absolutely on the solvent. Painting like welding is 99 percent preparation and one percent preparation.

Many things follow those percentages now that I think about it. Save time on the wipedown spend it again 100 fold fixing bullseye's.

Personally I have pretty low standards when it comes to paint jobs. I've even masked around trim and lights. You name the item from the how not to paint list and I have been there (sometimes with a brush)

Mike Thompson
Frequent User

Post Number: 594
Posted on Friday, 07 June, 2019 - 09:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

On That paint booth my internet is so bad I did not get to the good parts deflating while painting and around $1500. No thanks.

Ross
And I think it has little bitty teeny weeny white walls. What year is your's, or when did the have the chrome bumpers?

Robert J. Sprauer
Grand Master
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 439
Posted on Friday, 07 June, 2019 - 09:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The best inflatable paint booths are made by Mobile Enviroment Solutions and 100% American Made in Texas. Extreme quality used by mobile businesses that do on site truck bed spray on liner, paint work, etc. The stuff from China (in fact-mostly everything) is copycat junk. Pure and simple.

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 1473
Posted on Friday, 07 June, 2019 - 10:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross you do things with your Shadow that I cannot do with my Camargue or Spirit.

Let me put it like this:

If you were to tell my Publican that you lent on either my Rolls Royce's she would tell you that that was impossible because you were alive.

But I do get a chuckle from your antics.

Perhaps you should repost the vid you posted before of your Rolls Royce with that nifty classical music for Texas Mike.

I am scarred internally from laughing at that one!

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 1131
Posted on Friday, 07 June, 2019 - 12:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vlad,

Sad thing is I don't actually film the bad stuff

Mike,

1974 was the year of the goofy bumper mandate.

Mike Thompson
Frequent User

Post Number: 595
Posted on Friday, 07 June, 2019 - 12:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I know you city folks have never heard this one. The words to the theme song Bonanza. And this is why.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAe2KFZVxu0

Mike Thompson
Frequent User

Post Number: 596
Posted on Friday, 07 June, 2019 - 12:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bumper mandate?

David Gore

Post Number: 3338
Posted on Friday, 07 June, 2019 - 15:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mike,

Whatever you do, please do not get me reminiscing about TV themes from the 1960's. Bonanza was one of many I watched on a 21inch B&W TV powered by radio valves that took time to warm up before the picture and sound came on .........

I have never recovered fully from my childhood crush on Annette Funicello from the original Mickey Mouse Club series - she makes an appearance at the 40 second mark:

https://youtu.be/6h2Mg7Til2s

Mike Thompson
Frequent User

Post Number: 598
Posted on Friday, 07 June, 2019 - 17:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I think there was two reasons all the little boys had a crush on Annette Funicello.

Annette Funicello

David Gore

Post Number: 3339
Posted on Friday, 07 June, 2019 - 19:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mike - I agree but it didn't just apply to little boys............................

Mike Thompson
Frequent User

Post Number: 601
Posted on Saturday, 08 June, 2019 - 02:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Here is a list (Copied and Pasted from google source) of shows of the 60s to jog your memory, and make you say Oh I remember that.

The Andy Griffith Show
The Beverly Hillbillies
Gilligan's Island
Batman (The comedy)
Bewitched
Bonanza (of course)
Gunsmoke
Green Acres
Get Smart
The Dick Van Dyke Show
I Dream of Jeannie
Leave It to Beaver
Star Trek (The Original Series)
The Munsters
The Brady Bunch
The Addams Family
McHale's Navy
Mission: Impossible
The Fugitive
Petticoat Junction
The Danny Thomas Show
Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C.
My Favorite Martian
My Three Sons
Rawhide
The Flintstones
The Jetsons
Have Gun – Will Travel
The Avengers
Rowan Martin's Laugh-In
The Twilight Zone
Mister Ed
F Troop
Marcus Welby, M.D.
Adam-12 (One Adam-12)
The Carol Burnett Show
Flipper
Hawaii Five-O
Father Knows Best
The Donna Reed Show
The Ed Sullivan Show (Made the Beatles famous)
Lassie
Jeopardy!
Perry Mason
Lost in Space
The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson (If you stayed up late)
The Lucy Show
The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet

Or you can go to google and put in "what were the hit shows in the 60s"

But the left out:
Time Tunnel
Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea
The Lucy Show
I Love Lucy

And more, bet that got some neurons sparking.

Mike Thompson
Frequent User

Post Number: 602
Posted on Saturday, 08 June, 2019 - 02:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

(When you edit the URL are not links, so put them in this post)

Theme songs
Adam's Family
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ5IWRz78DY

Rawhide
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_XRfvBKEiY

The Brady Bunch (Couldn't find a short one)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5StTXQofqs

Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39u2y-wYgPQ

Time Tunnel song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDowitqL1Rc

THE TWILIGHT ZONE THEME
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzlG28B-R8Y

I remember the one with the creature on the outside of the plane, I could not look out a window at night for years.

Mike Thompson
Frequent User

Post Number: 630
Posted on Wednesday, 12 June, 2019 - 11:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My interior is about finished so now I can get it in the air to start scrapping the brake system.

interior

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 125
Posted on Wednesday, 12 June, 2019 - 13:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Those seats don't look half bad!

Me like!

Looking very neat and tidy.

Graham.

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 1168
Posted on Sunday, 21 July, 2019 - 23:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Here's a shot of water beading on the fresh coat of paint.

We are having a little bit of a heat wave right now, 36 which wouldn't be so bad but the humidity is like 100%. I used the nice weather to cut up some wood pulled from the woods. (with a JCB)

The Royce of course is good for pulling lawn mowers overgrown with vines and stuck in gear.

As the temperature started to drop in the evening (to 28) I took out the torch and started cutting away the rusted front of a three wheeled cushman turf truckster. The rusted metal went on the roof rack with a band saw I picked up on the side of the road earlier in the day.

Mike Thompson
Frequent User

Post Number: 760
Posted on Monday, 22 July, 2019 - 00:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Looking Sharp Ross, good for another 40 years, Wink Wink. How much land do you have? As you may know I am trying to find a little piece of earth for my own. I have rented all my life and it is just money wasted. But in my price range it is hard to get realtors to be interested in digging for the information I need. (So far no luck.)

I could easily (if I could get some land) find a cheap mobile home (and down here there are lots for free) then build a 3 bay garage. One of those prefab metal buildings, and I would be back in business as it were. Then I would have a place to stick the cars I find, then restore them and send them on their new life.

Mike Thompson
Frequent User

Post Number: 789
Posted on Saturday, 27 July, 2019 - 09:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

You know I should have thought of this earlier.

What is my shadow up to?

Answer: About a Foot? :-)

Shadow box

Mike Thompson
Frequent User

Post Number: 790
Posted on Saturday, 27 July, 2019 - 10:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

And how do I get around under the car? Of course I made something. The wood came from up the street they are constructing a building and a massive amount of wood is going into a very large dumpster. (Trash in the USA is public property anyone can take it.) The wheels came from Walmart, they were changing all the wheels on all the shopping carts. Needless to say there were boxes of them. A sack full did not make it to the dumpster. Just wish I had got more I have about used them up.

Me Dolly

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 2127
Posted on Saturday, 27 July, 2019 - 10:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Nice work Mike.
Gotta keep your back off that cold concrete mate.
Not good for your health.

Trevor P Hodgkinson
New User
Username: wm20

Post Number: 26
Posted on Wednesday, 21 August, 2019 - 10:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Right off topic but look at that list of shows Mike posted and have a think about the type comedy portrayed.
Then look at the comedy from 1990 onwards and ask yourself why is there no respect for people any more.

And as for the question,
Mine are all happily slowly rusting away in the paddock.
When the car port goes up I will resurect the Bentley & the ex-Raffles Hotel 63 hydromatic with vynal bench seats.
The others will get broken to fund the two I intend to keep.
Funny state of the world where a split screen VW beetle will sell for $ 45,000 and a Silver Shadow goes for $ 10,000 to $ 15,000

Mike Thompson
Frequent User

Post Number: 900
Posted on Wednesday, 21 August, 2019 - 12:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I could tell you why is there no respect for people any more, but no one likes to hear the truth.

On the Rolls buy low sell high is the only way to deal with that. And how many people kept a split screen VW beetle and kept them in good shape. (3 ?) As the opposite of Rolls, most are kept in good shape, and they are not that hard to find if you look. Personally I hate VW beetles, had one could not get rid of it fast enough, sometimes dreams are nightmares. :-)

26 posts since 2006?

Trevor P Hodgkinson
New User

Post Number: 28
Posted on Wednesday, 21 August, 2019 - 17:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes 26 posts.
And double yes no one gets thanked for telling it as it is, ever when they are correct.
I found the forum just before I went bust.
The 6 Shadows & 2 Bentleys were to be our superannuation.
However that $ 400,000 became worthless after Mr Howard got Mr Carr to deregulate the private hire car industry en route to smashing the taxi industry.
So the bum dropped out of the market to the point that we could no longer get actual fuel costs for a wedding let alone wages.
So I did the 50 or so pre-booked weddings and as cars became surplus sold the best & de-registered the remainder.
had some one come into the yard the other day seeking help to fix an 84 model so naturally I looked up the forum to direct him here. Eating & keeping the creditors at bay sort of trumped posting to the forum and as the cars are not being touched, no reason to post.

Mike Thompson
Frequent User

Post Number: 902
Posted on Wednesday, 21 August, 2019 - 17:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well unless you can find someone as crazy as me, to take them off your hands, you can turn them into ebay cars and make some of your money back.

Trevor P Hodgkinson
New User

Post Number: 29
Posted on Wednesday, 21 August, 2019 - 19:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

They are worth around $30,000 a piece broken down into parts and $ 5,000 a piece as complete cars so it is a no brainer.
Just have to wait till they are hidden from easy view as the local council would have me fronting a magistrate for running an unlicensed wrecking yard.

Mike Thompson
Frequent User

Post Number: 903
Posted on Thursday, 22 August, 2019 - 04:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If you have a garage (and trailer you can put it on the trailer) and you can strip it. When you are done, haul it to the scrap yard. It would then be unknown items going to the post office or DHL etc.

Here in Texas we are allowed to sell 5 cars a year. I can live very well on 5 cars a year with owning the land.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 2183
Posted on Sunday, 25 August, 2019 - 06:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The Shadow 1 is working hard in the towing plant trailer department, loaded with wood etc from the old trimming workshop.
The more the car is worked the better it seems to go with brakes, steering, engine and transmission,
However the next job will be the self levelling, this has become a little slower than it used to be when cold.
Tomorrow will be fun loading the Powermatic oil heater and more for my home workshop.

And the new trimming workshop, wow now that is mega size.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 2143
Posted on Sunday, 25 August, 2019 - 06:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I’ve seen small trucks pull smaller loads and do less work than your mighty Shadow Patrick.

Mike Thompson
Frequent User

Post Number: 911
Posted on Sunday, 25 August, 2019 - 08:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick Lockyer love the shop, way bigger than I need. And the siding is vertical (maybe plus horizontal), for some reason vertical is more expensive here. Not sure how horizontal is in the weather.

You and Ross ought to have a pull off contest. Pick a big tree or something and state the length and diameter and see which one can pull it 30 feet, or something.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 2184
Posted on Monday, 26 August, 2019 - 06:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mike, yes sliding vertical.
Tomorrow will be a test on the old girl using the large 12ft plant trailer, will be hauling a large load of about 4 ton gross.
Good job the Shadow has a low gear and LSD for traction.
With of course the rear crossmember mod.

Mike Thompson
Frequent User

Post Number: 919
Posted on Monday, 26 August, 2019 - 09:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

How much would it cost to come to Texas and do my roots (not my hair I like it white). :-)

You should not take LSD and drive it makes you see funny things. :-)

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 1213
Posted on Tuesday, 27 August, 2019 - 10:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

Great pictures. What is happening with your rear left bumper end?

Certainly I need to get a trailer hitch.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 2186
Posted on Wednesday, 28 August, 2019 - 03:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross, took the whole bumper assembly off as my reversing to hook up the trailer is not as precise as it used to be. Do not want to damage it.
Maybe a reversing camera will do the trick.

Mike Thompson
Frequent User

Post Number: 924
Posted on Wednesday, 28 August, 2019 - 04:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

They have Bluetooth cameras I bet one has a magnet to just stick it on as needed.

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=gHFlXd2_IYqSsAWOsprYAQ&q=bluetooth+reverse+camera+for+car&oq=bluetooth+revers

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 1215
Posted on Wednesday, 28 August, 2019 - 04:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mike, I think the boot lid is Aluminum but maybe you could stick it right tk the bumper.

Mike Thompson
Frequent User

Post Number: 925
Posted on Wednesday, 28 August, 2019 - 11:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross, you're right forgot. Maybe a dash suction holder then.

Trevor P Hodgkinson
Experienced User

Post Number: 53
Posted on Wednesday, 28 August, 2019 - 12:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The over riders are nice thick steel or have you fitted the stainless ones out of Indonesia ?

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 1217
Posted on Saturday, 31 August, 2019 - 08:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I cut up a tree that fell on a neighbors fence then unbent the 8cm corner post using a special fence post bending tool.

The next job was to dispose of 250 kilos of cement pavers. The mud flaps would scrape the ground on large bumps.

Mike Thompson
Frequent User

Post Number: 937
Posted on Friday, 06 September, 2019 - 10:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I bought a truck to haul with, but here is what happened when I bought my Dodge Truck and tried to take it home with a tow bar hooked to the flimsy bumper.

test

This is the only "after" photo I could find of the truck on this computer.

truck

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 1219
Posted on Saturday, 07 September, 2019 - 06:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mike,

sad state of affairs, but bumpers are really no longer suited as amchor points.

Prolific User

Post Number: 1617
Posted on Saturday, 07 September, 2019 - 08:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bet you have more than $3000 USD on the Chrysler Mike. Is it a pushbutton automatic?

I always liked the shape.

Mike Thompson
Frequent User

Post Number: 943
Posted on Sunday, 08 September, 2019 - 05:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vlad, I do things on the cheap so the Chrysler was under $5000 USD. And it does indeed have the push button automatic. It took four years to get it back to road condition. So all and all in rent and time I will loose money even at that price.

Ross, I had a 1975 Chevy truck that totaled a car when she hit it, and the only damage to the bumper was scratches. That Dodge would look like a Coke can after stepping on it.

Don Draper Imperial in Mad Men

chrysler

imperial

Prolific User

Post Number: 1627
Posted on Sunday, 08 September, 2019 - 22:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Supercool convertible Mike. I don't think it's a bad thing to lose money on cars as long as you are having fun. These days I never lose money on cars because I only buy, I never sell.

Mike Thompson
Frequent User

Post Number: 978
Posted on Tuesday, 17 September, 2019 - 14:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vlad you should take a picture of that stock yard at that Autoranch of yours. So we can see that herd of evolved velocipedes.

velocipedes

Graham Phillips
Experienced User

Post Number: 155
Posted on Tuesday, 01 October, 2019 - 15:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Whats my Shadow up to,...

Bracing herself for a long trip I have planned for after work Friday,..

Pictures to follow Sat night.

Graham.

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 1276
Posted on Tuesday, 12 November, 2019 - 05:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Trees, trees, and trees...

Lots of trees were damaged in the last few wind storms and I spent a day helping my friend cut down trees.

The pines were easy as you just leave them where they land but the real trees were hauled out and bucked to length.

I don't know how many trees we cut down but it was six hours worth.

Glad that's "done" (except for sliptting)

David Gore

Post Number: 3512
Posted on Tuesday, 12 November, 2019 - 06:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross,

I would classify your neighbour's property as a major fire hazard if it was here on the NSW Coast.

Pine trees in commercial plantations marketed to investors here have a bad reputation for catching fire before they reach maturity leading to investors losing their investment as insurance companies have had their fingers burnt in the past with poor performing plantations mysteriously catching fire when the weather conditions are right.

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 1323
Posted on Tuesday, 17 March, 2020 - 23:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Industrial mechanical diesel engine - 0
Bespoke hand made British goodness. - 1

Jump battery starting the case, the battery in the Royce came from a 2001 Mercedes estate. I don't know the specs, but a pretty serious battery.

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 1325
Posted on Tuesday, 17 March, 2020 - 23:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David,

We have no shortage of water and pine trees here in eastern Massachusetts USA.

Pines in a forest are just left on the ground to rot.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 2403
Posted on Sunday, 13 December, 2020 - 20:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Another small job for the car with trailer.
Given yet another generator, to good to turn down.
Never has the car been in need of a good clean.

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 1527
Posted on Wednesday, 16 December, 2020 - 11:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

What's the generator.

My money is on a 6kw hand crank lister diesel single phase.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 2106
Posted on Wednesday, 16 December, 2020 - 15:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

could be a Petter driven unit....

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 2405
Posted on Thursday, 17 December, 2020 - 02:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross and Omar, the 7.7 KVA gen unit is powered by a Lister two cylinder engine.
Has not been used for about twenty years.
The handle was seeing if the engine turned and it does.
Weather here is terrible the heavens have opened most of the day!
managed to take a few pictures, it seems to have some sort of device for auto decompression!
No starter but has a dyno type of start.

Until I set it up and test the setup I will not know if it is a Starter Matic unit.

Have been told that it will run on used chip oil so may just try charging the Tesla etc
That will be running cheap as chips

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 1529
Posted on Thursday, 17 December, 2020 - 08:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

That is a genuine dandy of a power unit.

It certianly would run on fry oil, you just want to be sure to run a marine diesel water seperator filter and put in some sort of valving to allow startup and shut down to happen on kerosene or #1 diesel.

you don't want random possible wet oil sitting in the pump. The MK1 golf once had a full tank of turkry fry oil and ran fine, but it was summer and I run two filters (because of the "fuel" quality)

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 2408
Posted on Friday, 18 December, 2020 - 06:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross maybe a centrifuge of an old Zetor tractor that i have for spares would spin the debri out of the chip oil.
Can't remember if it is oil pressure or engine driven.

Will have a look in a few days time, busy with wife "hospital" appointments etc.
Also one of the stray cats, three years old is hospitalized at the vets, cripes the bills running up but never mind its only money!
The pleasure of the cat is well worth an open cheque book.

Trevor Hodgekinson
Frequent User

Post Number: 211
Posted on Friday, 18 December, 2020 - 11:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

There are a lot of nome made distillation / filtering set ups for making bio-diesel from waste chip shop oil.
You have to remove the wax from the oil as well as the cooking debris
We made on decades ago before switching to LPG for the fleet .
A good idea but down here most fish shop lease their oil from the suppliers who come along, drain their fryers then reprocess the oil and send it back, depending upon which particular type of oil s being used.
We ran 3 of the 4 vans on bio-deisel but finding oil to process was always a problem and if you have to pay for it then it was not worth the effort of doing .
From memory it cost about 15¢ / L to process the oil and diesel was around 54¢ at the time .
The big looser was the horses who got the filtrate mixed with oats. Apparently quite good feed for them .

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 338
Posted on Saturday, 19 December, 2020 - 08:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Can you run it on used engine oil?

I can run my Deuce (M35A2C) on it as well as fry oil,.. jet fuel,.. etc,... etc,... etc,...

Graham.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 2413
Posted on Monday, 18 January, 2021 - 23:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Another run with the trailer, hilly roads a doddle with the LPG running V8.
Must give it a wash and service after the next outing to collect a ballast tractor roller and RSJ's. (V-heavy)

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 2414
Posted on Wednesday, 20 January, 2021 - 05:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graham, paraffin and old sump oil mix seems ok.
Trying to put a video up with it running well.
Photo of the voltage output.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 2416
Posted on Wednesday, 27 January, 2021 - 08:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Testing times with the Shadow in the Dorset hills. Great, self leveling working with a loaded trailer With ballast roller and RSJs.
Car towing just gets better being a 100% in all departments.
Smooth gear changes, correct idle speed on gear selection for long life compliance mounts.
Rear drive shafts set horizontal with self leveling.

Back Home

Jeff Martin
Experienced User
Username: jeff_r_1

Post Number: 181
Posted on Wednesday, 27 January, 2021 - 10:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well...at least it's good for something !

Trevor Hodgekinson
Frequent User

Post Number: 221
Posted on Wednesday, 27 January, 2021 - 11:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I am looking at reviving a Bentley which will end up doing a lot of trailer towing.
Not the sort of weight yours is carrying but motorcycle trailers with 3 or 4 bikes for very long distances.
So the burning question is how did you mount your tow bar ?

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 2417
Posted on Wednesday, 27 January, 2021 - 19:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Trevor, I believe I put a posting up some years ago, maybe David can find it if it is in fact on here.

Best tow car (RR) slightly better than the next best Citroen CX Turbo two estates that I used for most of the recovery of cars etc in the motor trade.
Shadow now ready for an extended service due to engine oil being clean due to the running of LPG.
Just need the weather to warm up.

David Gore

Post Number: 3870
Posted on Thursday, 28 January, 2021 - 07:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

As always - ask and ye shall receive; all is revealed in the thread link below:

http://au.rrforums.net/forum/messages/17001/21851.html

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 2418
Posted on Thursday, 28 January, 2021 - 09:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks David for your help on finding through the search something that I can never work out!

Trevor Hodgekinson
Frequent User

Post Number: 222
Posted on Thursday, 28 January, 2021 - 13:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

And a big thank you from me.
I have approached a few tow bar makers & they all refused to either make one for or fit one to a Shadow
So I will have to do a bit of nautiness and claim it has ben on there since 1974 way before the current tow bar regulations came in

David Gore

Post Number: 3871
Posted on Thursday, 28 January, 2021 - 19:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Trevor,

Change the date setting in your camera to pre-1974 before you take a picture of the tow bar as proof.

Just change the date back after saving the photos in an archive and checking the metadata to ensure the photo date is appropriate.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 2303
Posted on Friday, 29 January, 2021 - 05:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That is a very good idea David,
Only issue here is that digital cameras were not commercially available until the 80’s.
(Geez, was it that long ago?????)

Unless we are talking about a 35mm film camera with date stamp facility.

David Gore

Post Number: 3872
Posted on Friday, 29 January, 2021 - 07:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

Simple solution if date selection is a problem - use the earliest date selection on the camera and digitalise the photo immediately afterwards.

The explanation then becomes the image was subject to transfer from a slide/print to digital format due to the well-known problem of prints from the 1980's being very prone to fading/colour change in later years. Slides were more stable but can still have fading/colour change problems with the passage of time if not properly stored.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 2304
Posted on Friday, 29 January, 2021 - 08:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

You’re spot on David.

Some slides aged gracefully to give us some of those classic faded 70’s images we all love.

There are some apps on smartphones that can do this as well
Instant aged photo.

I have one I did for my FB Holden.
I’ll see if I can dig it up.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 365
Posted on Friday, 05 March, 2021 - 09:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Well tomorrow Camilla is going for a nice long

run out to Bendigo.

Should be a good day,...

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 366
Posted on Saturday, 06 March, 2021 - 19:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXvxlZDqHmk

Graham

David Gore

Post Number: 3897
Posted on Sunday, 07 March, 2021 - 08:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graham,

Your video brought back memories of similar trips in DRH14434 as your car is similar in colour.

I miss the satisfaction of watching the road ahead with the Spirit of Ecstasy leading the way.

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi ["Thus passes worldly glory".]

John Rowney
Experienced User
Username: johnrowney

Post Number: 99
Posted on Sunday, 07 March, 2021 - 20:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Have you thought about the potential damage the extra key in the ignition can do to the dash area? I religiously only have the one key in the ignition and just a leather or rubber attachment on the key ring.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 369
Posted on Tuesday, 09 March, 2021 - 15:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

To be honest the keys don't move around all that much.

The master keys weight actually holds it still.

Its resting on the leather and since its not moving,... no marks or wear,....

At least not so far,...

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 376
Posted on Thursday, 01 April, 2021 - 23:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Found a great spot to do a photo shoot tomorrow,....

Graham.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 398
Posted on Monday, 03 May, 2021 - 21:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,...

Oh,...

That photoshoot,..

Graham.

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 1534
Posted on Tuesday, 04 May, 2021 - 07:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graham,

Looks like a great day.

Thanks for the pics.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 2536
Posted on Monday, 30 May, 2022 - 07:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Another great 150 mile towing day with another C6 purchase with suspension probs.

Thanks to Geoff Wootton who did a 12v conversion from the 9v coil and ballast, I carried out the same with no problem.

The old coil was starting to give up when hot.

Started the journey on old petrol and filled up with super U/L and ran for a few more miles the switched to LPG all good, running a 2-1/2 ton load + weight of trailer behind the Shadow never missed a beat.

What a joy now the hydraulic pump is working with quick leveling and no more pump noise.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 2315
Posted on Wednesday, 01 June, 2022 - 12:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Patrick

I'm surprised you remembered that.

When my electronic ignition failed for the second time I reverted back to points but kept the 12v coil and did not re-connect the ballast resister. That was a few years ago and I've also had no problems.

I suppose logically speaking the points should wear out more quickly than if I ran 9v/ballast but on the mileages I cover (2-3000 miles per year) excessive points pitting is a none issue. The plus side is much bigger sparks.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 2537
Posted on Wednesday, 01 June, 2022 - 17:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff my memory is shot however when I see something of worthy interest I print it off and file it away.

I did replace the ballast many years ago, a bit of a job to do so not needed now.
All works well with the NGK LPG LaserLine 1497 plugs
Thank goodness we don't have the Delco distributors on RR cars they were not good dwell all over the place.

BTW car stays up on running trim height for over two weeks now since the pump has been repaired, maybe was not running up to full pressure with the limited stroke of the piston ie broken spring!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: