I am a changed man! Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » I am a changed man! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Dickinson
Frequent User
Username: au2018

Post Number: 16
Posted on Monday, 17 October, 2005 - 17:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi folks. I’m quite new to the world of Rolls-Royce motor vehicles, am a contented associate member of RROC(A) NSW Branch, read anything related to the famous marque and eagerly await copies of London & Derby and Praeclarum to be delivered to my mailbox.

Now, since the BMW inspired Phantom was released in 2003 I have to admit that I’ve never felt any real attraction to the vehicle. I had the chance of viewing one closely (from the outside at least) at the RROC(A) 2003 concourse day at Fox Studios and again at the Sydney Motor Show 2004. Still, the vehicle did nothing for me. I won’t say what I really thought for fear of upsetting some people.

That was until Sunday 16th October 2005.

There I was, Sydney-bound on the M5 somewhere around Bankstown, enjoying both the day and one of Mr Bacharach’s fine compositions playing on the Mercedes 300E radio, motoring along in the No.1 lane at a pace under the 110kph (68mph) speed limit. I glanced at the rear-vision mirror and saw, about 200m behind me and closing in the No.2 lane, what had to be the unmistakable front of a new model Rolls-Royce.

Ladies and gentlemen… I’m a changed man… I have seen the light. As it glided past at what was probably 110kph (68 mph) I was transfixed at the sight of this beautiful, imposing vehicle. Previously seeing it on the Fox Studios lawn or at Darling Harbour Exhibition Centre had not convinced me. But watching the Phantom glide past on the highway, in its element, was what I needed. It is truly a sight to behold on the open road.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Wort
Grand Master
Username: robert_wort

Post Number: 250
Posted on Tuesday, 18 October, 2005 - 01:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John, I'm a changed man too! And I hate to admit it. Last Thursday, we had a new member join the Victoria Branch with his new Phantom. We all had a sit in it and gave it a good once over. He started it and it was absolutely silent. And it is huge! As a Rolls-Royce should be. The only things I didn't like were the fact that it cries out for bumper bars (Like the old Cloud 1's-actually it's profile is not all that dissimilar), and the mascot is way too small. It needs to be twice the size. Apart from that, I like it. I'm looking forward to this week's lotto so that I can place my order (Extended Wheelbase version of course).