Now for something completely differen... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Now for something completely different underbody sealers « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 1320
Posted on Thursday, 14 March, 2019 - 13:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I wish apply something on the underbody of the Camargue and Spirit as I don't like the way they look at the moment.

Somewhere I have read that some underbody sealants do more damage than they prevent because they are porous and allow moisture to collect and stay in contact with the metal surfaced.

Now this could be another tooth fairy story but I really don't know.

I was thinking of a POR product but I have never used this product before and have zero idea whether its good, bad or just a gem of slick Americanski saturation advertising similar to what Toyota uses to market their mass produced fantastic plastic rubbles with wheels.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3178
Posted on Thursday, 14 March, 2019 - 13:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If my memory is correct, a product called POR-15 was widely promoted in the 1990's for underbody sealing and rust prevention.

I would be VERY interested in any follow-up on situations where this product was used and the subsequent experience with its suitability.

https://www.por15.com/POR-15_Rust_Preventive_Coating

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 1321
Posted on Thursday, 14 March, 2019 - 14:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David POR 15 is not porous so it may be the one I need.

Let's see what the others have to say.

Mark Taxis
Prolific User
Username: mark_taxis

Post Number: 169
Posted on Thursday, 14 March, 2019 - 16:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vlad
I used POR 15 for the suspension members on my mg.
This stuff if applied correctly is bullet proof. Hitting it with a hammer has no effect. I cannot commen on porosity other than the fact that it need moisture to cure fully.
I went to a sales seminar in Singapore many years ago , to demonstrate the resilience of the product they had sprayed numerous small pieces of aluminium with POR15 . They then got us to flex the aluminium until it broke, the aluminium broke before the paint coating!
The product is not UV resistant so cannot be applied anywhere that is exposed to the sun.
If you do use it be sure to wear gloves, this stuff sticks like S**t a blanket and takes weeks to wear off your fingers (I speak from experience here)

Steve Emmott
Prolific User
Username: steve_e

Post Number: 101
Posted on Thursday, 14 March, 2019 - 18:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I think the POR15 is widely used and as Mark says great for chassis' or parts especially if being rebuilt.

However for a tidy up appearance on the underside and indeed on all my cars I never use anything that hard 'skins' whether porous or not based material.

Indeed I would have thought porous material could even work better as it would in theory allow any trapped damp to dry out.

The problem with any skinning material to me is the slightest area or any poor adhesion or where parts are subsequently worked on and the 'skin' broken can lead to a 'capillary' action that allows moisture to be drawn in and get trapped inevitable leading to unseen corrosion. Many old undersealed cars I have seen can look solid and when the underseal is removed or breaks away the metal is rotten due to moisture having been trapped.

For many years I have only ever used 'Finnigans' waxoil both injected into panels or surface sprayed on the underneath.

I use clear for the interiors and black for the underside. I know it does not last on the underbelly which actually I find a good thing and will often freshen up every few years.

After my recent paint job and the inevitable paint overspray on the underneath especially in the wheel arches I have just refreshed my wheel arches.

What I am unsure of is how it would perform in a very hot climate. On a very rare hot summers day in the UK I can see the odd wax run coming out of the sills/rockers or bottom of the doors. It does dry though to the touch a bit like candle wax I suppose and can be cleaned off if required with a steam cleaner if any major work needs to be done underneath the car.

A very light coating underneath though of the black product certainly works though for me as a cosmetic tidy up and offers some protection from rust.

Larry Kavanagh
Grand Master
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 354
Posted on Friday, 15 March, 2019 - 07:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

In my experience POR 15 is an excellent rust inhibiting paint but the area to be painted must be completely clean and then treated with a special preparation (etching) coat before the POR 15 is applied. You can buy a small test kit for approx. €25 that contains all the necessary ingredients but it would only cover a small area like the inside of 1 front wing, the kit is available on eBay, I think the product is made in France. It's very toxic and breathing apparatus, good ventilation and rubber gloves are a must. Once the can is opened all the contents should be used as the lid will stick to the can on replacement. Owatrol Oil is another great product but if you need to paint over it a barrier coat is needed. Both POR 15 and Owatrol are used extensively for steel boat protection and in the gas rig industry but it is most important to follow the manufacturers instructions to the letter. Steel boat owners often mix Owatrol Oil with oil based boat paint to increase spreading capacity, create a smooth finish and help to inhibit rust. Waxoyl is good also and is easily sprayed on with a pressure spray kit that the company supplies at a cost but it needs to be reapplied every couple of years. I suspect that the hot summer conditions in Mount Coolon could cause Waxoyl to drip but perhaps not.

Robert J. Sprauer
Prolific User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 164
Posted on Friday, 15 March, 2019 - 08:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If you want to coat over metal, it's a different product from the one you would spray inside fenderwells and the bodypan. I use rattle can products and another called BodySchutz from 3M for pan and fenderwell protection. It is thin and textured. All of my suspension parts, brackets, etc were cleaned, beadblasted, primed, painted, polished or powdercoated.
Powdercoating is easy to do at home.

ross kowalski
Grand Master
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 927
Posted on Saturday, 16 March, 2019 - 09:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vlad,

Por-15 really is pretty serious. If you apply it to metal it works a treat, but like any paint, it's only as good as what it is sticking to.

I do my own waxoil with odor-free mineral spirits and toilet bowl wax seals. I spray down everything on the underside of the cars once a summer. It isn't to aesthetic, but it does work very well, and the price is right.

Larry Kavanagh
Grand Master

Post Number: 355
Posted on Sunday, 17 March, 2019 - 07:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

POR 15 is a good product to seal rusted or porous petrol tanks. Remove the tank and empty it, pour in some POR 15 and slosh it around and then leave to dry, it's resistant to most chemicals.

Robert J. Sprauer
Prolific User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 172
Posted on Sunday, 17 March, 2019 - 08:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Larry. I believe they have a dedicated product for that.

Larry Kavanagh
Grand Master

Post Number: 357
Posted on Sunday, 17 March, 2019 - 08:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

You're correct Robert, I had thought it was the same product but now I see that there's a dedicated tank sealer. I had a look at POR 15 products and see that they now make an aerosol underbody rubberised sealer that can be painted over with POR 15 paint.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 2094
Posted on Sunday, 17 March, 2019 - 09:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I make my own mixture and have used it on customers and my cars for years, spray it every two years.

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 928
Posted on Sunday, 17 March, 2019 - 10:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick, what's in your mixture?

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 2102
Posted on Monday, 18 March, 2019 - 18:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sorry Ross just seen your posting, how rude of me not to reply.
I use a mixture of old sump oil and paraffin, keeps moist over the years.
keep away from brake hoses and the like.
An old car came in for work from a owner who moved to Somerset from up north nr the coast.
This shows the effect of how bad the salt can have
on some suspension and other unpainted parts.
Most important to spray the body panels etc if the car is used in all weathers.

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 929
Posted on Friday, 22 March, 2019 - 09:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick

That's some scary corrosion!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: