Video featuring Rolls-Royce and Bentl... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Video featuring Rolls-Royce and Bentley Vehicles « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Glen Poolen
Prolific User
Username: wgipps

Post Number: 142
Posted on Tuesday, 12 March, 2019 - 11:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Found this on my facebook feed. Its little bit interesting even with some disgusting timberwork in the article.

I think you will need facebook to view it.

https://www.facebook.com/BusinessInsiderToday/videos/258683185042243/

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3170
Posted on Tuesday, 12 March, 2019 - 20:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Glen,

I was able to view the video without having to login to Facebook.

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 1312
Posted on Tuesday, 12 March, 2019 - 22:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

"the bodies are shipped in from GERMANY"!

I didn't really hear that, did I?

Steve Emmott
Frequent User
Username: steve_e

Post Number: 97
Posted on Wednesday, 13 March, 2019 - 01:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The German automotive industry panel/body-in-white/tooling for stamping dies and assembly design is the best in the world IMHO. Something that Land Rover benefitted from vastly having once been owned by BMW and then no doubt this also assisted Jaguar when Ford bought LR and put the two together prior to JLR being sold to TATA.

I would expect a lot of the B-I-W assembly is supported with robotics and BMW using much of its machinery already in place at Dingolfing Germany albeit not any evidence of any of that at the final trim/assembly plant watching the doors removed and carried around by hand.

Probably the most influential part of the strategy of building in Germany the body was also the paint plant requirement.

Environmental issues make it very hard to just build a huge paint plant anywhere despite the modern paints a lot of chemicals are still involved.

Jaguar used to do BIW and Paint at Castle Bromwich, Solihull and ship the body to the Coventry Browns Lane site for trim and final assembly. It was just not possible, despite attempts, to get permission for a paint shop at the Coventry site.

I am sure the MGB followed a similar pattern too many years ago as I recall I would see the metal MGB bodies on transporters being shipped to Abingdon.

BTW Dingolfing Germany was famous for the construction of the Goggomobil microcar back around the mid 50's t0 60's

Grand Master

Post Number: 1313
Posted on Wednesday, 13 March, 2019 - 05:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Conclusion: Rolls Royce is no longer an English built car. It is a bitser!

Steve Emmott
Frequent User

Post Number: 98
Posted on Wednesday, 13 March, 2019 - 15:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I would expect more than just the painted body for the RR and indeed Bentley is shipped in from Germany and a lot more other parts for the cars too. All that is really done in UK is leather and wood trimming and then final assembly.

I suppose a much more honest phrase would be made in the EU........haha but for how long will that now be true.

Grand Master

Post Number: 1315
Posted on Wednesday, 13 March, 2019 - 16:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Or perhaps Steve, "Rolls Royce Best Car in the World Made Mostly From German Parts With German Made Body and Paint, with Imported Leather and Imported Wood and Assembled in England"

My daughter has a black BMW 645ci Coupe. This was a $200,000 when new 170mph plus car.

Yes I love the hard plastic door covers.

Its build quality is nothing near the build quality of a Camargue or a Spirit.

Naturally its i-drive in dash do everything control every unit has croaked at 100,000 kilometers. No problem says the BMW dealer, that will be just $7,000 AUD. Oh and the tacky roof lining is falling down around the driver's side door - nice.

Its Black, its fast, its ghastly!

Steve Emmott
Frequent User

Post Number: 99
Posted on Wednesday, 13 March, 2019 - 16:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vladimir, I totally agree with you.

I make no excuses from my humble upbringings lusting in my youth to own a Rolls Royce, a Ferrari and even a Rolex.

Having satisfied all these wishes I can honestly say I have no desire to own any of these modern cars or lust anymore even at their cosmetic styles and looks.

I mentioned on another post an undamaged Arnage for sale for breaking/spares as the electrical problems had exhausted the owners wallet and still had continual electrical problems that were going to be too costly to bother to resolve.

As part of my retirement package I do get a new Jaguar or Land Rover every year as my daily driver with all the 'bells and whistles' that just hurt my brain every time I pick a new one up.

The 'in control security' software lets 'THEM' know exactly where I am and when I travel to France on the Chunnel Train I get a telephone call from those who monitor the security as they recognise the car is moving but not being driven so assume it may have been stolen.

Much of the modern chrome finishing is actually 'chrome on plastic' these parts will never be able to be restored in later years and as the electrics fail I doubt anyone will be able to fix these faults either.

Graham Phillips
Experienced User
Username: playtime

Post Number: 30
Posted on Friday, 22 March, 2019 - 00:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

I suspect most here may have seen these but I kind of like them,...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45AfHbv1hRA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33-iKyRLTFA

Story starts with this one,...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVhadkd2Zs8

And then these,...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIdNcbsgOiM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8kLE9vVlJ0

Graham.

Steve Emmott
Prolific User

Post Number: 160
Posted on Friday, 22 March, 2019 - 02:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graham I love these old movies with old cars.

I often jot down the old registration numbers when I am thoroughly bored and then look on our GOV.UK site to see if the car is still around...

Interesting the Blue RR registration 7 HPH the number now is on a Citreon Picasso so no history on the car to be found.

The red RR reg no. UNH 196R not any longer appears to have been used for many years and no details so either scrapped or sitting in a barn somewhere.

Modern films change to spurious numbers but these old films no one bothered to disguise the number plate so when you see an old classic often you can find if it still exists. Always difficult though if someone has done personal plate update.

Robert J. Sprauer
Prolific User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 200
Posted on Friday, 22 March, 2019 - 03:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

There is a silver Silver Shadow in the movie Bohemian Rhapsody. There is a RR movie database out there on the web...pretty cool.
MY 1980 SWII was ordered by Katherine Hepburn

Steve Emmott
Prolific User

Post Number: 161
Posted on Friday, 22 March, 2019 - 03:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Robert we have a Galaxy chocolate advert showing a lookalike Audrey Hepburn from the movie Moon River...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYWv1oD3dv8

Question is just how did she get in the back of that German RR lookalike I can't tell if it is a 4 door or not and to keep her hair straight and high heels on.

Some one obviously got to her and gave her a leg over

Best movie I have seen with RRoyces is Michael Crawford in Hello Goodbye where he drives one into the swimming pool.

Genevieve Gilles his co star now she was to die for back in my youth of course.

Film is available on you tube I think to stream

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3193
Posted on Friday, 22 March, 2019 - 07:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have mentioned the film "The Yellow Rolls-Royce" previously on this forum as it has a segment showing the benefits of the passenger compartment blinds .

It is an interesting film of a time long gone.

My favourite is the original series of "The Avengers" featuring Patrick MacNee, Diana Rigg and the magnificent Bentleys:

http://www.johnsteedsflat.com/The_Bentleys.html

As for Diana Rigg [Emma Peel], unrequited admiration and intention never diminishes with age........

Graham Phillips
Experienced User

Post Number: 31
Posted on Friday, 22 March, 2019 - 20:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Hey Robert, how do you know yours was ordered by Katherine Hepburn? Is there a data base out there for the history of all Rolls Royce's?

If so where is it,..

I'd love to see the history of the one I am looking at getting.

Graham.

Steve Emmott
Prolific User

Post Number: 162
Posted on Friday, 22 March, 2019 - 21:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graham,

In the UK here once you own the car you can apply to the DVLA (our government controlled auto database) and get the complete owner history one by one with even what were their addresses should they still be residing there or not.

Also it is quite common for the original purchase information to be included within the hand book cover in many older cars especially RR/B but not the owners thereafter necessarily.

I would expect Robert probably even has the original purchase invoice by KH so it will be interesting to see from him how it works in US.

One of my friend's RR car was once owned by Bono the singer and we have many for sale today advertising owners like Ken Dodd, Slade and even some Royal connections.

Sadly I can't say it improves the condition of how they were kept and looked after or even really may add to the value that much.

However I did many many years ago go to the auction to buy the Lotus Cortina used in the Great Train robbery.....that was an absolute rot box but I was prepared to go up to around 10K GBP. It sold for 28K GBP IIRC then got a total restoration and valued well into the 6 figures now.

Interesting question though maybe to put up as a thread....'Has your RR/B been owned by anyone famous'. Besides oneself of course

Robert J. Sprauer
Prolific User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 202
Posted on Friday, 22 March, 2019 - 22:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Factory build sheets can be ordered from Hunt House. All USA delivered cars went thru RR NA. Any warranty work was documented so the dealers could be reimbursed. RROC has all the warrantee receipts and shop orders with work performed. My car went to Beverly Hills Motorcars as an order for Executive Leasing. Her name is on the leasing paperwok.

Glen Poolen
Prolific User
Username: wgipps

Post Number: 149
Posted on Thursday, 04 April, 2019 - 07:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Now....
If you can see past the absolute moron hosting the video, and the pointless animations, this has some interesting historical points.
https://www.facebook.com/donutmedia/videos/2142880639133614/

Graham Phillips
Experienced User

Post Number: 42
Posted on Thursday, 04 April, 2019 - 20:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

The history and facts aside, as for the presentation,... um,... NO!

Just,.. NO!

What a way to ruin a good subject.

sigh,....

Graham.

Grand Master

Post Number: 1333
Posted on Thursday, 04 April, 2019 - 22:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

What a prawn (shrimp) and total twit presenter!

Some good burnouts from late model German pseudo RRs.

I got to the bit where it blabbed about SUVs, vomited then hit the off button.

I don't like the German management of Rolls Royce or Bentley one bit and I say they lost the plot totally. The late model cars are as English as Lenin.

Rolls Royce and Bentley are no longer English cars, that's for sure.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1803
Posted on Saturday, 06 April, 2019 - 06:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes Vlad agreed.
In fact that means that our cars will start to go up in value as very soon people will realise the difference between the true RR/Bs and the German ones.
Having said that I am still looking for a Phantom..... but the only way to make that happen is if I part exchange with one of my existing cars.

Grand Master

Post Number: 1349
Posted on Sunday, 14 April, 2019 - 10:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar I am totally disturbed (that's always been obvious) by footage taken by Indians in Dubai of Classic Rolls Royces and the contents of wrecking yards ie late model Corvette on top of a pile.

Please have them tracked down and flogged/imprisoned etc.

Omar I am trying very hard to curtail my car collecting habit: ie 1974 Cadillac 75 Series Limo Right Hand Drive in OZ for beer money etc.

Question: are fireworks legal in Dubai for the kiddies? Also, will male middle eastern clobber with head gear totally cover up Soviet Tattoos?

I had appropriate apparell from Qatar and with dark LA sunglasses and twin samauri swords on back with handles visible from front I did look the part but lost it all in a blizzard of craziness.

Mike Thompson
Prolific User
Username: vroomrr

Post Number: 102
Posted on Sunday, 14 April, 2019 - 12:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Now don't you really think that the Chinese actually build your cars better ? :-)

https://jalopnik.com/the-ten-greatest-chinese-knockoff-cars-ever-made-1694449178

Mike Thompson
Prolific User

Post Number: 103
Posted on Sunday, 14 April, 2019 - 12:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I thought Bentley is a VW, guess that explains this. :-)

VW Bentley

ross kowalski
Grand Master
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 930
Posted on Tuesday, 16 April, 2019 - 00:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A silver shadow in London in a look at life video...

https://youtu.be/nlMcvEVc5Sg?t=436

Mark Herbstreit
Prolific User
Username: mark_herbstreit

Post Number: 196
Posted on Tuesday, 16 April, 2019 - 08:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

20/25 drophead @ 7.39?

Mike Thompson
Grand Master

Post Number: 352
Posted on Monday, 29 April, 2019 - 09:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My Rolls first run and drive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Z5o1ljesno

Grand Master

Post Number: 1384
Posted on Tuesday, 30 April, 2019 - 09:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Far that three strikes from the book of life.

Mike Thompson
Frequent User

Post Number: 549
Posted on Saturday, 01 June, 2019 - 07:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

As one famous Russian said (that drove a little toy car at 50 kph without brakes) brakes are for pussies (cats). :-)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: