Should we have a Pedants' Corner Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Should we have a Pedants' Corner « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3164
Posted on Saturday, 02 March, 2019 - 10:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

When responding to a number of posts in a thread in the "Early Post War" topic, Larry Cavanagh has "tongue in cheek" suggested the addition of a "Pedant's Corner" where opposite points of view on general topics can be debated within normal standards of propriety.

See posts below...........

Larry Kavanagh
Grand Master
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 347
Posted on Saturday, 02 March, 2019 - 06:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

"British racing green" actually originates from "shamrock green" which was used on a 1903 Napier which represented the UK entry in the 1903 Gordon Bennett cup. At the time it was illegal to drive at above speeds of 12MPH in the UK and the race was banned by the UK parliament but the Irish parliament allowed the race to take place on Irish soil. As a mark of respect to the Irish the UK entry (1903 Napier) was painted in shamrock green and it continued to be the colour of choice of the UK racing team for some decades afterwards and hence became generally known as British racing green. Racing colours changed when sponsorship became involved in the 1960s when it became customary to paint cars with the sponsors colours and logos. On a point of order Mr.Moderator - I believe that "Irish racing green" should be the more appropriate nomenclature of the colour given the Irish context of it's origin.

David Gore

Post Number: 3161
Posted on Saturday, 02 March, 2019 - 07:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Larry,

"Pedant's Corner" rules apply - the Brits gained naming rights by using ther name "British Racing Green" first. The Irish retain the rights to "Shamrock Green" for the same reason. As far as I am aware, the creator of the colour is unknown.

As Australia was "British to the boot" as claimed by Prime Minister Menzies [better known as "Ming the Merciless" after the Flash Gordon comic character] in the 1950/1960 period, Jack Brabham used British Racing Green for his world drivers championship winning cars in 1966/1967.

Brabham

Larry Kavanagh
Grand Master

Post Number: 348
Posted on Saturday, 02 March, 2019 - 09:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

There's an idea. "Pedant's Corner" could be opened under a new topic to distinguish it from General Discussion or Idle Chatter. Maybe I'll put that in the Suggestion Box but on second thought, maybe not.

David Gore

Post Number: 3163
Posted on Saturday, 02 March, 2019 - 10:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Larry,

I like your idea especially as it will create some lively discussion on interpretation of language especially the differences between nations that speak the same language but use different words and expressions that would truly reflect the personal opinions of the contributors. I would expect and encourage lively and often combative debate within appropriate limits.

Idler Chatter would remain exactly that, an informative rather than combative forum where dissension, personality and expression are issues that are expressly forbidden. This would suit me as it would greatly facilitate moderation where opinions and facts are often intertwined and there is conflict between our ethos of full and free expression, community standards and defamation - I am often "walking on the edge of a razor blade" when these situations arise.

Other opinions please............ As always, our Administrator will have an opinion and the final say regarding implementation.

Jeff Young
Grand Master
Username: jeyjey

Post Number: 393
Posted on Saturday, 02 March, 2019 - 11:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sounds like fun. My daughters are always calling me pedantic, so I should fit right in....

RR Forums Administrator
Board Administrator
Username: admin

Post Number: 107
Posted on Saturday, 02 March, 2019 - 11:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gentlemen,

If you clearly define the terms and rules of engagement (whilst keeping to Forum Rules) I have no objection to creating a new Topic. Even the name of the Topic is open to consideration: "Pedants' Corner", "The Bear Pit" (or perhaps even Vlad's dearest wish for "The Snake Pit") are just a few potential names I can imagine being suitable.

There is even the option to have the Topic only readable by registered forum members. That would alleviate some of my concerns about public propriety that recently caused so much trouble in Idler Chatter, though it would by no means permit a free-for-all.

I'll defer to the adjudication of our esteemed moderator and will create the Topic when he informs me of his decision.

Mark Aldridge
Grand Master
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 599
Posted on Saturday, 02 March, 2019 - 20:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Like the idea of it being open to forum members only. I am nervous of posting on open forums.
Mark

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 1055
Posted on Saturday, 02 March, 2019 - 22:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I think like Mark, That it should be for forum members only,

Larry Kavanagh
Grand Master

Post Number: 349
Posted on Sunday, 03 March, 2019 - 03:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I was pulling Davis's leg when I suggested this new topic. I doubt that a topic called "Pedant's Corner" would be likely to gain traction since pedants generally don't like to admit to being pedants or don't realise that they are pedantic by nature, that's why they tend to unwittingly "bore holes in kettles" ad nauseam, I hasten to add that I'm forming that opinion based on life experience and certainly not on any interactions on this interesting forum. As a mark of recognition of the many entertaining contributions of our esteemed member and Grand Master, Vladimir, I second the suggestion of calling it the "Snake Pit". The idea that the proposed new topic heading should be reserved for members only is a prudent one in my opinion. Who knows, it could be an interesting addition to the forum, nothing ventured nothing gained but should the experience prove too controversial the Administrators would have the ability to pull the plug at their discretion.

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 1305
Posted on Thursday, 07 March, 2019 - 16:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The administrator's censorship of idle chatter may have pleased the outside lurking wowser but it certainly croaked the quantity of posts made by about 97%.

We live in a camera infested big brother society internationally. Do we really require that 1984 caper in "The Snake Pit"?

I never take offence at anybody's opposing view but perhaps my posts caused somebody not even contributing to Idle Chatter to have a cry in their corner and winge and bleat to the Administrator forcing his hand into a paranoid censorship overdrive gear.

Perhaps a list of forbidden topics can be compiled before a new topic is opened to FREE SPEECH.

Mark Luft
Prolific User
Username: bentleyman1993

Post Number: 247
Posted on Friday, 08 March, 2019 - 05:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Welcome back Vlad!! We missed you.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1793
Posted on Friday, 08 March, 2019 - 05:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hey Vlad..............
nice to have you back.
Now that we have you again - I may start a new thread about the Jacket.
I have modified it to suit your exquisite taste.....
I will need to take a few photos wearing the masterpiece jacket as soon as my Azure is back from having the steering rack seals replaced.

I bet we cant wait....

David Gore

Post Number: 3167
Posted on Friday, 08 March, 2019 - 08:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vladimir,

The concept is for a forum facility restricted to and only accessible by registered members who can express personal opinions and make comments within the limits of the law with regard to libel, slander and community standards. I personally believe the only restriction on topics should apply to those that promote and/or encourage illegal, unsafe and/or discriminative activities which expose both the Administrator and myself to punitive action for permitting unacceptable/illegal content to appear on the forum. I have described my opinion of how this would function in my suggestion posted previously in this thread:

"I would expect and encourage lively and often combative debate within appropriate limits.

Idler Chatter would remain exactly that, an informative rather than combative forum where dissension, personality and expression are issues that are expressly forbidden. This would suit me as it would greatly facilitate moderation where opinions and facts are often intertwined and there is conflict between our ethos of full and free expression, community standards and defamation - I am often "walking on the edge of a razor blade" when these situations arise."

The traditional role of the publicly-accessible section of the forum would remain as a service to the world-wide RR/B community providing information and advice on technical matters, events and other related topics.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 1057
Posted on Friday, 08 March, 2019 - 08:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Vladimir nice to have you back.

Grand Master

Post Number: 1306
Posted on Friday, 08 March, 2019 - 09:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Oh esteemed Moderator please proceed with zee Snake Pit and let the fun begin.

Gentlemen, the Soviet never left but simply lurked covertly.

Peter Maclaren
Experienced User
Username: ludo

Post Number: 43
Posted on Friday, 08 March, 2019 - 11:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank goodness the forum has come back to life

Larry Kavanagh
Grand Master

Post Number: 350
Posted on Saturday, 09 March, 2019 - 00:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I would like to add something controversial but I can't think off anything offhand. Welcome back from your lurking den Vladimir.

David Gore

Post Number: 3169
Posted on Saturday, 09 March, 2019 - 08:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Larry,

All in good time - Our Administrator will have to set up the necessary Members-Only section.

The Administrator and I will also have to define a basic set of moderating standards for me to use.

Subject to any last-minute suggestions, our Administrator's approval of "The Snake Pit" is my personal preference for this topic.

soapbox

Grand Master

Post Number: 1307
Posted on Saturday, 09 March, 2019 - 09:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

"Moderating Standards" indeed. Perhaps I need to create a postable blog named Snake Pit Two which croaks instanteously any effort to limit free speech except for Michael Jackson caperings.

Bear in mind that any censorship of The Snake Pit like what happened in Idle Chatter will produce precisely the same result.

Graham Hutton
Experienced User
Username: gph

Post Number: 29
Posted on Monday, 11 March, 2019 - 13:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This could be really interesting

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: