RROC member age and imported car Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » RROC member age and imported car « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Will
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 144.131.204.38
Posted on Sunday, 28 August, 2005 - 15:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Sir/Madam,
I am 34 years old and look forward to Joining my local RROC branch (QLD). However my wife is not so enthusiastic (she likes new cars such as her new BMW V8),I am sure she thinks the club is too old for us.

I have done alot of research and bought a 1990 Bentley Turbo RL as a second car recently. I looked extensivly at Bentleys in Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne, as well as read a great deal on the subject of their associated problems.

Eventually I settled on the above car which had been imported from HK. There are many horror stories of imports, so I made sure the car was inspected first by Chapmans RR of Melbourne, they found the seals in the turbo and the oil sender needed replacing, which was done.

The car was owned and driven by John Bull (ex pat), he always kept it in a humidifed garage and had it serviced regularly at the RR/ Bentley dealer in HK. There is no corrosion, the leather and wood are in better condition than I could find in any similar car in Australia and there are no oil leaks (touch wood!).All electrics work with the exception of the glove box light, which will be fixed next service. The break pressure light does not flash for long when started.

However the tyres when I brought it were old and the treads came off the tyres (they were not re-treads). I don't like having to buy Avons, but I really have to, so I am now looking for a 17" set of Bentley rims and conversion kit. What else can I add....well it is second hand and 15 years old, so I don't know what is down the track. I have been and will continue to have it serviced regularly with Bentley/RR legend Peter Dancer.

Hope to meet some of you soon.

Cheers,

Will

(Message approved by david_gore)

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 515
Posted on Wednesday, 31 August, 2005 - 23:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Will,

I really wonder why you would join the Club. This is not meant to be an abrasive question simply an enquiry. We really are keen to know what attracts people to join. You mention your wife's interests and I wonder how that fits in with your decision.

I am a member of some 30 years vintage and as you will have read, the Club seems to be peopled by oldies such as myself. Worse, they seem to have little interest in the cars other than driving them. At least two Branches of the Club have, as far as I am aware, no events other than social ones in their entire calendar. And so I wonder what is it that people see in the organisation that would attract them to join.

Are they convincing themselves that other Rolls-Royce owners must be a desirable group of people to associate with? Is there any consideration as to whether there might be some communal effort if only cerebral to preserve the few examples left on this planet? What would you expect to get out of the Club?

I hope you reply.

Robert Wort
Grand Master
Username: robert_wort

Post Number: 241
Posted on Wednesday, 31 August, 2005 - 23:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I don't know what Will's thoughts or expectations are about joining the Club but I know what mine were when I first joined at the age of 25 years which was 27 years ago. My love of the marque started when I was 5 years old and it was always my desire to see as many Rolls-Royce motorcars a possible. That love and desire has stayed with me to this day. It was never the people-It was always the cars. Fortunately, I have made some very good friends in the club over the years but this was always secondary to my aim. I think the reason for joining a club-any club- is to enjoy your interest with like-minded people. Like you Bill, I want to get into the technical aspects but I also enjoy the social outings too as it gives me a chance to get the car out for a run. It's not so much the destination but the mode of getting there and I think this may be Will's perspective of things. Am I right Will?

Bill Coburn

Post Number: 516
Posted on Thursday, 01 September, 2005 - 09:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes Robert I think that is a balanced approach. If I was dictator everybody would do 2 hours of compulsory maintenance on an RR or B before they had their morning shower! Social events would consist of regular barbecues or lunches around some cars and spot inspections would be made of cars to ensure they were being looked after. Transgressors would be impaled on a Flying Lady.

Now you see why they don't let me out of Canberra!!! Seriously one of the worst attitudes that came out of the Club was generated during the post Shadow production era. This involved telling any prospective member or new owner that the Shadow was akin to a watch or a computer and was so finely made that mere mortals with less than a five year apprenticeship at the right hand of H Royce himself could not hope to maintain these cars. This attitude may have benefitted the repair people but it did little for the cars. Owners lived in mortal dread of anything failing and if it did, not infrequently would push the carcase into a corner of the garage and leave it there in the hopes that a miracle would recover it or Mr Lotto would come to their rescue.

Concommitant with this is the ebb and flow of membership of the Club. From time to time exit interviews have been done with departing members and a common reason for leaving has been that 'I got no help with my car'. This is not to say they expected the monthly meeting to decamp to the car park and overhaul any new member's vehicle but simply a need to have members who will encourage newbees to look under the bonnet and be directed to sources of information. Instead they are met by platoons of strangers with whom their only common interest is ownership and unless they are of a gregarious nature, finish up sitting in the corner with a cup of tea unable to talk to anyone. It is hardly a situation that engenders comradeship and encouragement with maintenance nor continuance of membership.

A new embuggerance has emerged in the last five years whereby the managing cliques of the various Clubs and I am talking global here, are intent on building little empires out of structures that were created simply to keep track of membership and create procedures for getting the larger rallies together. Committees now abound, regulations promulgated, judging is now akin to almost a Court enquiry and new members are frequently almost vetted before being admitted to the sanctums. The final straw in my experience has been the very positive efforts made by a most influential contributor to these columns who had the temerity to suggest that the World clubs actually share technical information. He was soundly rebuffed. The information apparently was the 'bait' to get in new members for the betterment of the Club and if the owner did not succumb to that concept then he could take himself and his car to the nearest tip! Effectively that headed the car for destruction.

Interpolator's Privilege: Don't think I have given up on the International Technical Archive - we may have to do it differently and getting Tee-One Topics on this Forum is the first step along this road.

The Sun is coming out however. With efforts such as yours Robert, potential members with cars may be tempted to join in and share their experiences and most importantly the cars will get a better deal, which I would have thought was the original raison d'etre for the whole exercise.

(Message edited by david_gore on September 01, 2005)

Martin Cutler
Prolific User
Username: martin

Post Number: 72
Posted on Thursday, 01 September, 2005 - 10:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Embuggerance? Canberra really is the cultural seat of the Nation! :-))

Will
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 61.9.214.102
Posted on Thursday, 01 September, 2005 - 09:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Bill and Robert,
Yes you are spot on, like Robert I have always loved the RR/B marque. I enjoy talking to like minded people, none of my friends yet have a RR/B, (I am sure one or two will in the future and probably new, or aleast much newer than mine). Alot of my friends are in the bush, where it is not practical to own a RR/B for maintainence, hitting roos, pigs etc. My Dad (my Mum to a lesser degree), have also always loved the cars, we have always been very close, so I may join Dad up as an associate member so I have someone to take along.

Whilst my wife enjoys our Bentley, she much prefers the mod cons of the BMW, with automatic everything, and it is easier to park. Also the Bentley is low, being an RL, I have to be careful what approach I take when driving over some speed bumps etc.

My beutiful wife is also quite shy and doesn't like the attention the Bentley attracts from the public, she thinks by owning the Bentley I am "a bit eccentric in a lovely way". Especially dislikes the yobbos, if we get a royal wave or someone yells out something unbecoming she nearly crawls under the seat!

So really, I have no one to talk to about B/RR s. Just for your interest, I use the Bentley as a daily driver, I cover 260km/day for 5 days/week and it is brilliant to drive. Preaching to the choir though I know. I plan on intercepting some of you at the Gourmet at Goondiwindi (we now live in the hinterland of the Sunshine Coast, but Goondi' is our home town)

Thank you for your prompt repies. Have a great day.

Cheers, Will

Robert Wort
Grand Master
Username: robert_wort

Post Number: 242
Posted on Friday, 02 September, 2005 - 00:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

When I first joined the Club Bill, it was very much a social club run by the high and mighty and as I was a lowly carpark attendant at the time ( gave away being a mechanic in the early '70s),I was frequently looked down upon by some. Most of those people have now joined Fred Royce though and if there is an afterlife, I'm sure old Sir Henry will put them straight.

The Victorian Branch now is very 'user friendly' and I have received nothing but full support with my little self help venture from the Committee and Members. I am gaining greater attendances each time I organise a technical day and as You provided the spark for me to do this Bill, we are all in your debt for it. Needless to say, I concur with all of your input above.

Will,
Good luck to you my friend and I'm glad to see that you are using your fine car. To get a balanced view of the club, may I suggest you make contact with them so you can attend a meeting as a guest and prospective member? Also go to one of their monthly outings. After you have done these, you can then decide for yourself whether or not the club is for you.
In any event, I strongly encourage you to register yourself on this forum and keep in touch with us. There is an awful lot of valuable info within these threads.

Cheers,
Rob

Bill Coburn

Post Number: 517
Posted on Friday, 02 September, 2005 - 04:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

For Martin, I am so glad you have noted the etymological factory located in the A.C.T! I had enough problem with Praeclarvm Editor Neeley over 'grotterie' in a previous edition. I should tell you that I have direct access to the word-smiths at Oxford and if I need a new word they are more than happy to slip one in! I have a well-thumbed 'Shorter' version of a mere two volumes and one of the constraints against buying the complete edition is where the Hell do you put 24 volumes??? I will not resile from embuggerance, I like it and if you read the connectives in the S.O.E.D I am sure I could convince the judges of that erudite program 'Who wants to be a Millionaire'. And to further digress, it is very refreshing to find someone who actually listens/reads these days.

For Robert. Thank you for your kind words sir. Personally I have been most impressed with the support you have received from your own Branch. When I first got started in the self help mode I was publically accused of occasioning 'grave damage to the Club'. Well we all seem to have survived. I used to have a friend who rescued English sheep dogs - those huge hairy slobbering lovable canines. They would be bought as pups and when little Oscar got sick of his new plaything it was abandonned to a life of matted hair and general neglect. I think we all need to be a bit vigilant for Shadow sheep dogs behind sheds or in rundown car yards. Hopefully we can save a few chassis by finding a good home for them!
And Robert I am glad that you have been elevated from car park attendant but hope the new status doen't turn your head. I too am occasionally aware of that look from Club members I don't know which reads 'are you a mechanic?'with a slightly drawn back mien that suggests I get no closer. I love it and ask them when did they last clean out their sump?

And finally for the interpolator, I will be in contact, there is a new salient to be tested!!!
Cheers for a patient captive audience!!!}

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 877
Posted on Friday, 02 September, 2005 - 06:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

There is possibly a simple answer to all this. At least it worked in my case. When I was 13, my father joined me up and paid the subscriptions to the RROC(A) and RROC Inc. I was still a Boy Scout, and wrote my very first article for an Australian club publication at the age of 16: headlamps for an R-Type that actually light the way. I was an instant enthusiast: despite my natural awe of the Marques, membership made it all the more tangible.

If other teenagers realise that membership is exclusive only in the the enthusiasm of its members, the word will quickly spread amongst the young, and their friends will soon join. It is folly to await older new owners in their 20s or 30s and hope that they join and contribute in my opinion.

Maybe the RROC(A) could grant a much-reduced membership fee to the younger members, but at least guys and gals: sign your kids in !

RT.

Will
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 61.9.214.102
Posted on Friday, 02 September, 2005 - 09:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you for the good advice Robert, I will do just that, must warn you though I am hooked on the Marque, so can't envisage not joining.

There certainly is a wealth of brilliant information here. Until I found the site, the only person I could talk to about the B/RR and technical information was my machanic. Luckily he is also an enthusiast and a great bloke.

Richard your comments are very relevant as always, you would be a fasinating bloke to meet and have a chat to over a few cold beers I think. Next time we are in Europa maybe?

Bill your speals are of the utmost quality as always, like the old Jim Peacock,(Lib Pollie), you keep me reaching for the thesaurus as always. Yes I was very young when Jim was in, but I can still remember some of his speaches and comments.

You Gentlemen may know alot more about this than me, but my mechanic has informed me of new xenon (spelling?) technology bulbs that work very well in the Spirits & Bentleys. They are not actually xenon lights as the lights don't have the backing in the light frame, but the bulbs are a very clear white/blue light that give much greater depth of vision.

Shall let you know more in the next couple of weeks after they are installed, if any one is interested. Must appologise if you all have been running them for years and are thinking....man this guy is new.

Have a great day all.

Cheers,

Will.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 448
Posted on Friday, 02 September, 2005 - 18:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Will, well what alot of topics put into your postings that have been covered by the folk.
From your posting ref, my contraption check,is showing something very strange.
Please register so i can put my mind at ease and clear my com of all the alerts!Ref jgd.

Bill Coburn

Post Number: 520
Posted on Friday, 02 September, 2005 - 19:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Pat as always your paranoia makes me nervous but it is probably well founded. Registering is so little effort and even if you do have to send in a full length naked shot in colour with a report from an independent proctologist it surely is not too much to ask. So Will get your ass into gear as they say in the States and register, then I'll send you a copy of my pic!!!!!