"Wheels" Canberra Sunday 16 February ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » "Wheels" Canberra Sunday 16 February 2003 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bill Coburn
Posted on Friday, 14 February, 2003 - 10:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Northbourne Oval in Braddon will see some thousand cars grouped up on the oval for display. I estimate some 30 odd RR's and B's will be showing the flag. All are welcome but if you are displaying a car be sure to bring a driptray! Be in before 10.00AM

Bill Coburn
Posted on Tuesday, 18 February, 2003 - 21:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

For the record, a most successful day, more than the 30 predicted cars turned up, the weather was overcast which was great, there was a good cross section of other vehicles including over 50 Mercedes - some people do go overboard. Knowing the President of that Club afforded me an opportunity to abuse him for ostentatious displays. Mentioning the drip tray requirement (it is a football oval)he recalled a conversation with an official at the gate who said to the driver of a brand new (8 kilometers on the clock)Kompressa (sp) which was put on display by the local agents, "Have you got a drip tray?" "Drip tray, drip tray" he queried "this things so new it hasn't got anything to drip!!!" At our site we had a competition as to who had the dirtiest tray. I do not wish to report the winner!

The Kompresser story reminded me that in 'the good old days' these functions always had a demo car from York Motors which all participants got to drive'. A sad memory.

Jeanne Eve
Posted on Thursday, 20 February, 2003 - 11:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Great to hear about yet another successful day Bill. For future public events, perhaps you would consider emailing details to the Club News and Events? That way more interstate visitors may appear.It is really exciting to see how this website is being used - now need to get ALL branches to participate!
Regarding Kompressors, I had the pleasure of travelling along side a 1927 MB 630K Sports on our three month drive around} Australia in 2000. Wonderful car!