Spur or Spirit Convertible Coupe by S... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Spur or Spirit Convertible Coupe by Straman « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 1216
Posted on Tuesday, 13 November, 2018 - 12:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Look what I have found. David, out esteemed Moderator of all things naughty will hopefully post some of the photos of this car up on the web after I email him.

Straman appears to be a coachbuilder in LA. I like this car even though the colour does not float my boat. Notice how nicely low he has the boot over the convertible top when its down and the superb job he has done in making a 4 door into a two door.

Just how did he do it? The rear doors would have been aluminium. How did he weld the aluminium to the ferrous body or did he fold up mild steel sheeting to be mig or tig welded into the place where the rear doors were? Did he infact cut and shut the entire car to make it shorter?

Is it a Spirit or a Spur? The internet says its both which it can't be. Crewe did not make any Spirit of Spur convertibles to my knowledge.

I would rather have this car than a Corniche convertible because I don't like the big bag and I could not car less about buffeting.

It's a must have I think.

There is another one on the net, white with four doors and a thumping big bag when down - err horrid but then somebody will droll over it for sure.

Glen Poolen
Prolific User
Username: wgipps

Post Number: 123
Posted on Tuesday, 13 November, 2018 - 13:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

http://www.bentleyspotting.com/2008/02/richard-straman-convertible.html

Glen Poolen
Prolific User

Post Number: 124
Posted on Tuesday, 13 November, 2018 - 13:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

http://www.bentleyspotting.com/2008/02/coachbuilding-carmarge.html

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3062
Posted on Tuesday, 13 November, 2018 - 13:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Here are Vladimir's photos:

David Gore

Post Number: 3063
Posted on Tuesday, 13 November, 2018 - 14:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Glen & Vladimir,

As a confirmed fan of the Corniche, I have succumbed to temptation from the "Green Machine" for one simple reason:

1. The use of a folding mechanism that is contained within the bodywork when the top is down eliminating the characteristic bulge of R-R convertibles until more recent versions.

2. My only concern is the length of the door providing sufficient access to the rear seat as this cannot be determined from the photos.

No further correspondence will be entered into - I now have a new obsession as I consider the Spirit body shape to be timeless contemporary elegance and the fully retracting top "cements the deal".

P.S. I have always had a soft spot for the traditional British Green especially the tint used for the original Repco-Brabham F1 racing cars in the mid-1960's.

Glen Poolen
Prolific User

Post Number: 125
Posted on Tuesday, 13 November, 2018 - 14:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

thats a nice car. nice colour matching to boot

Grand Master

Post Number: 1217
Posted on Tuesday, 13 November, 2018 - 15:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for posting up those pics David. When it comes to non manufacturer convertibles I prefer perfection and to me a conversion badly done is a destruction of the entire car.

Glen has put up some links to cars I haven't seen before. There was one Camargue that was converted to a convertible using a two piece hard metal top that looked very sweet and unlike the Coupe Camargue the rear side windows were made retractable whereas originally they were fixtures.

Grand Master

Post Number: 1218
Posted on Tuesday, 13 November, 2018 - 22:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I may have worked out how Straman made the top so low when down but I could of course be wrong.

First, that top when raised looks so neat that I think it is either a Corniche top or a copy of it.

Second I think the entire folder is mounted upon a platform which after the top is lowered, is itself lowered.

Whether the top's cover is stored in the boot/trunk or appears from somewhere inside the car or had to be manually put on the car by hand we don't know as there are no photos of the top partially lowered.

David, perhaps your concern or access to the rear seats would be remedied by the seats being modified to tilt like Camargue seats, and by the travel of the seats on its rails moving more forward.

For myself, I want a Spirit or Spur Convertible so bad I am prepared to axe the rear seats completely as basically I only need one seat for myself, the driver's and one for PussNasty. Of course her security abode would have to feature walnut with Lapis Lazuri Inlays!

David Gore

Post Number: 3065
Posted on Wednesday, 14 November, 2018 - 06:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vladimir,

Don't forget a voice pipe as in the early R-R cars between Puss Nasty's throne and the Chauffeur [i.e. you] so you can be admonished or given instructions as appropriate to the occasion.

David Gore

Post Number: 3066
Posted on Wednesday, 14 November, 2018 - 07:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vladimir,

Have just sent you an email - please advise as requested.

Thanks David

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 79
Posted on Wednesday, 14 November, 2018 - 11:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The green drophead was the work of Niko-Michael Coachworks of Port Washington, Long Island, NY. It was commissioned by legendary RR collector Presley Blake who started the Friendly's Ice Cream company. I had many discussions with him since we would often display our cars together at RROC regional meets. Niko-Michael also built a retractable roof Camarque, one of the famous last group of 12 cars built. They were all white. The Camarque was in the collection of Michael Shudruff owner of Carriage House Motors in NYC. I used to go there weekly and chat with him while on my way to the parts department upstairs. They ceased operations in the 1990's and he is now located in Greenwich, Conneticut.

Grand Master

Post Number: 1220
Posted on Wednesday, 14 November, 2018 - 12:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Robert from your post I drew an assumption that perhaps you have seen in person both the Green car above and the white Camargue convertible.

If so can you tell us if the conversions were of a high quality as the photos on the internet show them to be really top quality but I have been fooled by internet photos and videos before.

Indeed David Gore kindly inspected a Black Spur in Sydney on my behalf in the past. The video of that black Spur looked really good with a big wow factor but the photos taken by David and sent to me plus David's own opinion of the car clearly indicated to me that the car was a horror story.

I should also point out that the car dealer selling it had one of those very posh accents and the second I hear those accents I smell a con man and he was.

I have seen information on the internet showing the Camargue Convertible being passed in at auction for an insane low figure of from memory somewhere between 45K and 50K USD which to me would be a real bargain.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2674
Posted on Wednesday, 14 November, 2018 - 14:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Niko-Michael Coachworks did nothing but the very, very, very finest modifications up to Crewe standards whether Crewe authorized or not.

Much like P&A Wood in the UK. See: https://www.autoblog.com/2007/03/28/rolls-royce-phantom-gaines-wood-better-than-the-original/
I have to agree with the author of this article that this one-off is much more attractive than the original. The same was true of the Hyperion by Pininfarina (See: http://www.pininfarina.com/en/hyperion/) for the Phantom DHC.

Brian

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 80
Posted on Wednesday, 14 November, 2018 - 22:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have seen the Green car upfront many times and was in complete awe of the quality. I believe the doors were stretched also and when it comes to that type of work it takes deep pockets which Mr. Blake has. I did not see the Camargue.
Mr. Blake also commissioned paintings of his Silver Ghosts which he donated to the RR Foundation and will be put on display soon once a special room is completed.

Grand Master

Post Number: 1221
Posted on Wednesday, 14 November, 2018 - 22:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes the stretching of the doors would have been a very complex and crazy caper.

Cutting into the doors would have been the only easy part, then there is the question of where you get the lengthened glass and the rear side glass. I am just guessing they were sourced from a Corniche Convertible. The cost to make custom glass would be madness.

After, that what about door seals and window seals?

Imagine the horror of a side collision. Nil stock on the door Sir. The insurance premium would be very different.

Certainly, a beautiful car and more than likely to only one in the world.

No doubt Jay Leno has his eye on that car.

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User
Username: omar

Post Number: 1976
Posted on Saturday, 04 April, 2020 - 14:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Vlad,
one of my friends took me to see a "rather special car" the other day.
It was stunning mate.....
One of only 4 ever made...
Hand built by Hooper.
I will post photos soon.

This friend had originally taken me to see his Camargue but then when he mentioned the Hooper I had to see it.... Simply stunning mate....

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User

Post Number: 1977
Posted on Saturday, 04 April, 2020 - 15:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David Gore

Post Number: 3656
Posted on Saturday, 04 April, 2020 - 16:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Be still my pounding heart - I would sell my soul to own this car .

The queue starts here.....................

Mark Luft
Frequent User
Username: bentleyman1993

Post Number: 301
Posted on Tuesday, 07 April, 2020 - 05:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have to agree with David. That is a wonderful looking ride. Hooper did an amazing job. Sign me up!!

Benoit Leus
Frequent User
Username: benoitleus

Post Number: 410
Posted on Wednesday, 08 April, 2020 - 05:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I might not own the car, but at least I have the brochure. When I was young I wrote to Hooper, asking for a brochure, which, to their eternal credit, they send, together with a lovely note.

I do have some Straman brochures,but unfortunately none of the Spirit convertible.

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 616
Posted on Wednesday, 08 April, 2020 - 06:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That's a lovely brochure Benoit, one that you undoubtedly treasure and hats off to Hooper for responding to your request. I must admit that I had never heard of the "Emperor" or "Empress 11" until now.

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User

Post Number: 1979
Posted on Wednesday, 08 April, 2020 - 14:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Benoit,
That is just amazing!!!
I bet that Bentley Turbo R in red is the actual car that my friend James now owns. They only made 4 of those cars.
Thanks for sharing.
Omar

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: