This is a non technical post which is... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » This is a non technical post which is very technical in reality « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 1207
Posted on Friday, 09 November, 2018 - 08:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

For many years of my trade as Motor Mechanic, Diesel Fitter, Diesel Mechanic, Technician, and what ever other title this very crazy world can give to motor mechanics I would rely on my memory and my commonsense when doing a major overhaul of say an engine or transmission.

That is to say I would put all the nuts and bolts and other bits into unmarked tins as did everybody else and I did this for at least 30 years.

I have a different method now and its surprising simple and while many contributors possibly use it there may be some who don't.

I have a strict rule now and its this: If three items small ie nuts or bolts or clips come off the vehicle, I reach for the plastic sandwich bags. Specifically, I used the 17cm X 17cm lockable bags with zip lock and a white area on the front where reassembly notes can be written. ie when removing inside door panels from Spirit "mirco which with white wire to front of car" etc.

These bags come in many different sizes.

I don't use these bags at work except for large jobs like engine removal and or disassembly but I always use these bags on any of my good cars especially RR/B. I have a reasonable memory which can recall back to 1958.

However, these bags totally remove the need to remember where which bolt went where. You can always tell when a festering lunatic has worked on a vehicle because bolts nuts clips etc will be missing and or in the wrong place.

If you have not tried the bag method give it a go because you will not believe the relief and relaxation you get when reassembling even a small job.

Another thing I do is straight after a purchase of a good classic, I go to the newsagent and buy a large thick hard covered book and put the name of the car on the outside and record all repairs, parts to be ordered and prices etc which gives me a record and creates a record for when my daughter sells all my stuff when I croak which will be useful to the next custodian.

These books have a great advantage over using pieces of paper as they keep everything together.

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 76
Posted on Friday, 09 November, 2018 - 09:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Also a quick pic with the smartphone, small magnetic dog dishes, magnetic long reach wands, pincher grabbers for parts/tools that fall into the abyss and LED lights especially a LED headlite

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 2052
Posted on Friday, 09 November, 2018 - 10:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Agreed Vladimir. I've been using them for years now and keep two different sizes in my garage, along with a felt tip pen for labeling.

Robert - my favorite tool is the LED headlite. I struggled for ages with those halogen light stands before I discovered just how much better the headlite was. I now have two rechargeable ones.

Since it looks like we will be living in Tulsa for a while we are about to buy a house here. At last I can make changes without upsetting some landlord. First project will be a 5kW wall mounted electric heater for the garage. These run off 240v so I will be fitting a double pole breaker supply for it. Should be fun. If you don't hear from me after December you will know I've electrocuted myself.

Grand Master

Post Number: 1208
Posted on Friday, 09 November, 2018 - 10:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Excellent chaps you have convinced me that a good led headlamp is worth the purchase. I have the rest of the gear you refer to.

For decades I found myself tortured by super nasty 240 Volt lights with a wire cage around the globe and a tin shield that would leave part of the globe between the handle and the shield shining in your eyes. Yes I have gained an inherent desire to run these things over with large trucks on purpose as payback now that rechargeable led lights are here.

It stands to reason that many mechanics in days before earth leakage switches arrived got croaked buy these evil 240 volt nasties.

ross kowalski
Grand Master
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 873
Posted on Friday, 09 November, 2018 - 20:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vladimir, must admit I don't often bag anything. I have had good luck keeping like items together in plastic coffee cans.

I drill holes in the bottom which allows them to be half submerged in your favorite degreaser and later washed off while together. I love reassembly using clean parts.

Also,my light of choice is Astro Pneumatic 410 Lumen Rechargeable COB LED Slim Light. It's only 200lm but it's long and thin which gets it into a lot of places a thicker light will never get to. They are $12 USD on ebay.

Bags sound like a better plan than a sheet of cardboard which is where I lay and label parts for transmission take downs and the like.

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 874
Posted on Saturday, 10 November, 2018 - 22:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Heres a pic of some coffee cans full of Triumph Motorcycle ( and chevy truck) parts.

They are submerged in PineSOL which degreases and desolves rust.

It's slower than molasses but is oder free and it dissolves oils as well as rust.

Grand Master

Post Number: 1209
Posted on Monday, 12 November, 2018 - 06:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross, that idea of plastic containers with holes in the bottom to allow entry of cleaning fluid is a very good idea and one which I will adopt in addition to the sandwich bag idea.

About 40 years ago we had in Australia a carburettor cleaning solution whereby you immersed the disassembled parts of a carburettor in this solution overnight (minus the plastic bits). When you pulled the various parts of the solution out the next morning the parts looked like new - no a molecule of grunge or dirt or petrol(gas stains) anywhere.

That product came in a ten litre can disappeared off the market. It was not something you needed on your skin that's for certain but it did a marvellous job that no other cleaners could get near. Just wondering if you have that type of product stateside.

Another thing I utilise are zip/cable ties. These can be of great use holding things together where the mechanic would be better if he was an octopus and also for vacuum hose reassembly. A lot of cars have an insane amount of vacuum lines for all types of reasons and a couple of packets of coloured cable ties removes the need to try to work out where they all went on reassembly.

One of the things a US Anglo-car lover like yourself needs is a Jaguar XJS V12 in your collection. These are hideously cheap in the USA and there is a very fine and extremely detailed technical manual by Kirby on the internet for free. The Jaguar XJS V12 with an automatic is a slug that will clock 150 mph. Remove the automatic transmission and install a 6 Speed Tremec and with a few modifications especially NOS and you have yourself a true supercar.

On the downside is a hideously cheap and thoroughly nasty timing chain tensioner setup (I still can't believe Jaguar engineers came up with it it's so lousy) and a problem with the crankshaft pulley coming loose and ruining the entire crank.

Furthermore, a true path to insanity is the utter lunacy of working in the engine bay. Don't drop a small bolt or spanner anywhere near the engine bay because it will disappear into the 9th Dimension never to be seen again.

These Jags grip the road beautifully - in fact its truly scary how good the road handling is and a 7 Series BMW comes nowhere near them. The HE engines are good for economy which is of zero interest to me, but he pre HE engines can be modified to be truly nasty.

When working on English cars, I recommend the use of whipping boy. Take a 44 gallon oil drum and half fill with water. Decorate with the image of your most despised vote seeker, crank AC DC up on your stereo and proceed to beat the boy with baseball bat. Absolutely marvellous for relieving anxiety and frustration.

Check out the 6 litre burning rubber XJS on the Driven Man U-Tube video.

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 877
Posted on Thursday, 15 November, 2018 - 13:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vlad,

The 12s are cheap, but you are right on all counts regarding that lump. All things being equal ... For a 12 ... I'd go ... Espada.

Cheers.

Grand Master

Post Number: 1223
Posted on Thursday, 15 November, 2018 - 13:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes Ross Espada, from Lamborghini, is essential so go! But you will need probably 10 times the money that you would for the XJS

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: