Bill Coburn's Contributions Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Bill Coburn's Contributions « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Wort
Grand Master
Username: robert_wort

Post Number: 232
Posted on Thursday, 04 August, 2005 - 19:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'm not going to interrupt the smooth progression of Tee One Topics in the technical session by placing a posting there, so I will add my little bit here.
Bill Coburn is to be highly commended for his tireless enthusiasm and generosity.
I think it's bloody marvellous and extremely fortunate for all of us that we have such a person as Bill who is willing to share his experiences without fear or favour. I take a great delight in reading Tee One, not only for the valuable information (which is priceless), but also for his wit and euphemisms.
Thank you Bill.

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 481
Posted on Thursday, 04 August, 2005 - 22:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Robert/ Thank you for those kind words. Actually you can't interrupt the progression as I have been elevated to the rank of Monitor! and I shall as a result expect a little more respect from you in future. Actually I was hoping to have the power of Zap to smite you when you adjust Mk VI tappets by ear but sadly that is not in the contract. The Power has ordained that I have powers plenepotentiary but only in the Topics section and the likes of you can't get in there and write 'BOLLOCKS' to one of my learned dissertations!

Seriously it is in my opinion a great step and hopefully people will get something out of the issues. All I have to do now is knock up an index!!!

Robert Wort
Grand Master

Post Number: 233
Posted on Friday, 05 August, 2005 - 00:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ha ha. I'll never live the tappets bit down will I? It comes from the days when I was a VeeDub Mechanic (actually they were done cold otherwise there would have been an unholy mess), but that's how we did other cars in the '70s. I wonder if this now applies to the modern Bentleys or whether it was just where I worked at the time?
(Joking of course) I have no doubt Bill that everyone who visits Tee One WILL get something out of the issues.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 856
Posted on Friday, 05 August, 2005 - 04:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well, Bill,

At least Robert didn't go driving around town in a tatty black Tasmanian Silver Dawn with a mascot but no front mudguards before fully restoring it...

Seriously, though, the addition of the Tee One board and the RROC(Vic) hosting have been hailed around the world. Everyone bar Australia Post is thrilled.

Great work, and sincere thanks are due to the RROC(A) administrators as well.

The RREC techos are particularly impressed, and the addition of Tee One to this site has aroused much admiration on their site. One notably eminent RREC member posted an article about this development yesterday, and proclaimed:

"Shadow and Spirit owners have never had it so good!! ".

That says it all.

RT.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 444
Posted on Friday, 05 August, 2005 - 04:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Quite so Robert,Great on line mag with great pix.
Half way round the world with pictures clear as day.
Bill you are in the 21st centenary with your techology.
I read that you can have fibreglass spoilers in a sort of advert, they would not last long on our roads over here UK, they would have to be carbon fibre to stand the test of time, well thats progress.
Thanks to BIll a indefatigable gentelman.

Glenn Amer
Experienced User
Username: recordo

Post Number: 16
Posted on Friday, 05 August, 2005 - 19:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I personally can't thank Bill enough for his time, help and advice with my car and for the amazing Tee One Topics which has dispelled many a myth about the Silver Shadow to me.

Thanks again
Glenn.

Robert Wort
Grand Master

Post Number: 234
Posted on Saturday, 06 August, 2005 - 01:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I forgot to mention in my last posting that Bill is absolutely correct in regards to adjusting tappets by feel. We used to do it to vehicles that we had no specs for and used it as a stop gap measure on used cars to quieten them down.
A point of interest though. On vehicles that we did get the specs for and retested the gaps on, we generally found that our adjust by feel on the back of the cam technique was very close to the recommended specs unless the camshaft had excessive wear, but I do digress and say that in the main (and especially on our motorcars), it would be better to refrain from such practices.

Bill Coburn

Post Number: 493
Posted on Sunday, 07 August, 2005 - 10:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Having basked in all this adulation I have to report that the upload is complete. A slight heartstopping moment with issue 44 in that it simply would not 'PDF'. About to either kill myself or perhaps re-do it I remembered that the very first PDFing I did was issue 44 which I still had. Rather large I am sorry but it was my last resort. Anyway they are all there warts and all and thanks to the adminers for the space and their courage in letting me get that much closer to their system! And thanks again for you-all for your encouragement.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 490
Posted on Sunday, 07 August, 2005 - 13:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hey Bill,

Welcome to Moderator land - now I have someone to share the abuse with.

Very pleased to see "Tee One" available for those who were not aware of it and I respectfully request anyone who has anything suitable for Bill to publish in future issues to take the time and send the information to him.

In the tradition of this forum; lets help those who help us. We will all be the beneficiaries.

Bill Coburn

Post Number: 494
Posted on Monday, 08 August, 2005 - 10:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David/

Thank you for those kind words sir. There is an understandable conception that I intend my jottings to be exclusively Bill Coburn. Nothing could be further from the truth. I re-started Praeclarvm in December 1974 in the face of much skepticism from all the Branches. The previous 'format' had foundered because of lack of contributions. Meanwhile I had returned from a North American posting where I had joined the RROC of America and contributed quite a bit of technical stuff with photos, to the Flying Lady. This was all a bit primitive since I had previously had nothing to do with the cars and my first 'guinnea pig' was a much ravaged Mark VI Bentley whose gearbox had been dismantled and strewn over a commercial garage floor which had then been flooded! The engine had seized and the interior ripped out for a full repaint.

My fellow American members were fascinated that a mere mortal and indeed a bloody Aussie should actually be able to do something to these cars. My Oscar winning performance was repacking the starter drive on a magnificent Thrupp and Maberly 20/25 so that it would start without using the crank handle. The owner actually had the car booked in for a second major engine overhaul because he had been told the last one had had the engine set up 'too tight!!!'

My fame was made and sadly I did not keep a photographic record of the variety of cars that adorned my driveway and the street over the remaining weekends of my posting.

When I returned to Australia I joined the NSW Branch of our Club and waited patiently for Praeclarvm but instead received monthly issues of London and Derby patiently run off on a Gestetner. L&D faired no better than Praeclarvm for contributions with the exception that there were vivid accounts of who wore what at a rally and references to the beautiful cars gliding about and of course the odd recipe and occasionally slightly off jokes I had forgotten. I instance 'Why did the Flathead blush' answer because he saw Queen Mary's bottom!!! Pedr David a very well regarded motoring writer joined the Club with a Silver Dawn which came complete with a very detailed folder of accounts. He wrote, I think in the old 'Motor Manual' about the car and pointed out how the 'Best Car in the World' seemed to need more maintenance that any other piece of machinery anywhere and at a very considerable expense. Well the elders of the Club were outraged. This was akin to publishing photos of the Monarch's laundry before washing!! His resignation was sought with not a little vigour but fortunately resisted.

By then Silver Shadows, well out of their gaurantee were starting to fall to pieces and on top of the '71 bankruptcy owners and members actually started to realise that maybe the cars were fallible and perhaps getting one's hands dirty could be rewarding both financially and viscerally!

I started writing 'Canberra Contributions' mainly about de-gutting my lovely old Silver Dawn SDB94. These were slipped into London and Derby and the Club paid my postage costs. Finally an issue of Praeclavm arrived that was not only very expensive but also very poorly printed. The Branches understandably revolted and Malcolm Johns now at the helm asked me if I could produce something. The result is what you see today greatly improved by St John Herbert, Martin Bennett and now David Neely.

Four years ago Tee-One Topics was born out of a perceived need to record owners and fixers of the cars' efforts at keeping these things on the road. It engendered an embarrassing following of people who were genuinely keen to do whatever they could on the cars and ideally in a group for mutual advice and help. I kept Topics going mostly with accounts of my experience but there was always someone who would contribute their account which everyone found helpful and interesting. Topics has always been written in a light hearted style because there is no better soporific than trying to read a workshop manual. And what has been very gratifying has been the number of women who read the words admittedly skipping over the precise clearance needed at the back of the isostatic equilibrator!!!

Dear me I do apologise for the ramble but the past is easily forgotten. My heart goes out to all of you who have persevered in the face of mechanical intransigence and to be frank in quite a few instances simple snobbery, to engender a Club, its information banks, enthusiastic membership and magazines that are rightly world class. We should all be very proud!

Bill Coburn

Post Number: 496
Posted on Tuesday, 09 August, 2005 - 10:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Copy Boy!!! Issue 45 hit the streets last night as Randy Stone (I do the night beat for the Daily) would say. The quote is Australian radio circa early fifties (that's the last century not the one before!)

John Shostrom
Experienced User
Username: silvawraith2

Post Number: 16
Posted on Friday, 26 August, 2005 - 01:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

With Tee One Topics, Bill has provided an invaluable service to all Rolls-Royce & Bentley owners, drivers and enthusiasts. Excellent job! I also think that Richard Treacy is to be commended for his tremendous knowledge and contribution in this arena. Thanks to Richard, the memory seat malady in my Silver Spur is just that ... a memory. Thanks, Richard!