New rolls-royce photos Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » New rolls-royce photos « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeanne Eve (203.166.96.236)
Posted on Thursday, 02 January, 2003 - 11:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Rolls-Royce Motorcars Limited commenced on 1-1-03.This entity was known as the BMW Group,project Rolls-Royce since the split of Rolls-Royce & Bentley Motor Cars Limited in 1998. Photographs of the new model will be posted on www.press.rolls-roycemotorcars.com at 3.30pm GMT on January 3rd. (1.30 a.m. 4/1/03 Sydney time)The new car will be shown on January 6th at the Detroit motor show.

David Gore (63.60.5.50)
Posted on Saturday, 04 January, 2003 - 05:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Details and photographs from the pre-release press briefing are available on the site below:

www.autoindex.org/news.plt?no=237

David Gore (63.60.5.50)
Posted on Saturday, 04 January, 2003 - 09:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Have just checked the autoindex file - the engineering details are interesting and I look forward to reading more detailed objective reports than "spin-doctored" PR descriptions. The styling, in my opinion, is not attractive due to the slab front and bulky side panels which will date very quickly and do not have the distinctive "timeless elegance" of previous R-R models. The headlight configuration does not integrate with the body at all and brings to mind some of the weird show car designs from Japan in past years. It just does not "look right" however I am prepared to concede the photographs may not present the car well and it may look better when seen "in the metal".

I suspect this R-R design will have a relatively short life as this could be R-R's "AU Falcon" due to buyers prepared to pay the premium price involved expecting their purchase to command attention, admiration and respect rather than generating adverse/negative reactions.

Bill Coburn (203.51.26.246)
Posted on Sunday, 05 January, 2003 - 08:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well David I remember when the Cloud came out many people said that it was the ugliest Rolls Royce ever made! I would hate to be a designer assuming I had the taste and skill. Given the cost of setting up a new model and the need to get a design that is not going to date in the first year, I would take my sword with me to jump on if necessary when I presented my proposals to the Board! As you say it may look better in the metal but like your new haircut, one usually has to get used to it. I think it is a brave venture and thank God these people are prepared to invest in it. But how do we get around the spin doctors and find out how the thing works?

Roy Tilley (203.98.48.151)
Posted on Sunday, 05 January, 2003 - 17:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Try also www.chichesterweb.co.uk and follow the trail to RR.

Rick Ford (213.78.66.207)
Posted on Saturday, 18 January, 2003 - 03:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I would like to add compliments to Roy Tilley's msg. the Chichester web site is to be applauded.

Jeanne Eve (203.166.96.236)
Posted on Tuesday, 21 January, 2003 - 16:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Another webpage to view is
http://autoshow.msn.com/autoshow2003/article.aspx?xml=Rolls-Royce
The photos are similar to the Chichester site but are more close-up. There's also a short video streaming of the unveiling of the Phantom; "a precision hand built car"
Jeanne Eve

chrisg
Posted on Monday, 10 February, 2003 - 22:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I've seen many photos of the new Phantom and it's beautiful. Every inch a Rolls-Royce. Elegant, powerful and impervious.

There's not much more I can say...

Richard Treacy
Posted on Friday, 14 February, 2003 - 18:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Phantastic in Zürich

We witnessed the release ot the new Phantom in Zürich last night. What a car ! The general reaction of almost everyone, including Bentley nuts like myself, was that this is one hellava fine car. The photos seen beforehand do not do it justice at all, and it looks fabulous in every respect when you see it as a car. There are very many Crewe touches from the fuel filler flap to the organ knobs for the vents, and it has an extraordinary feel of ultimate quality. For all we doubters, this was a very pleasant experience. We were able to sit in it, photograph it and see its fabulous motor. Happily, the motor has done away with all that plastic dressing and has proper Roll-Royce rocker covers last seen in the early 90s. And those reverse-opening rear doors are stunning.

All in all, this is a truly remarkable achievement taking Rolls-Royce unbeatably straight into the 21st century in my opinion.

I have a champagne bet with a few others on how many were sold last night !

RT.

Bill Coburn
Posted on Saturday, 15 February, 2003 - 07:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Some people have all the luck Richard when are we going to see some pics? I do think the spin pics could have been a bit more imaginative and I, like David wonder how the frontal treatment doesn't assault the eyes.

Richard Treacy
Posted on Saturday, 15 February, 2003 - 11:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Bill,

I can send you digital photos of the event if you wish. It was at the Kongresshaus Zürich, quite a posh venue really.

The quality of my photos is not terrific, but that may be more to do with the champagne than the Hong Kong digital camera I use.

But, believe me, this is one sensational car.

My e-mail for those interested is

Richard.Treacy@bluewin.ch

Please advise of your file size limitations !

Regards,

Richard.

Chris Gillings
Posted on Thursday, 10 April, 2003 - 01:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The new Phantom is an amazing vehicle. I rode in it today and 50mph feels like 50km/h. A truly remarkable car that I will (alas) never own or drive. I cannot see how anyone can deny that it is well and truly a Rolls-Royce in every sense of the word.

Here's a photo of it (taken today at a location I will not disclose).

RR 2003 Phantom

Someone (who shall remain nameless because he will eventually regret such a rash statement) called it a "Fake Rolls-Royce" in my presence today. He's never going to make that mistake again, because I let him know exactly how stupid and petty I thought such an attitude to be.

On another note, D Gore drove a Phantom I for the first time today. He's now in the market for one, having been completely captivated by the experience!

(For my part, today I drove a Silver Ghost, a 4.25l Derby Bentley and a Silver Cloud III. What a day! What a club! What a marque! )

Jeanne Eve
Posted on Thursday, 10 April, 2003 - 13:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

What a buzz Chris! Thanks for putting up the photo. What a sight it must be to see so many models ranging from the Phantom 1 to the latest model all touring together.Great idea to share the cars so widening the driving experience. And another conversion to a pre-war model with David G!Now how can we expand on this?
Please pass on my regards to everyone with you.
Cheers, Jeanne.

David Gore
Posted on Friday, 11 April, 2003 - 16:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Everyone,

Yes, Sheryl and I are converted however the Corniche will still be the first priority in our stable!! We just have to find the right Phantom in the next year or two and are prepared to wait for the right car. Special thanks to Brian for the privilege and trust given to me with this very special vehicle.

Yes Jeanne - what a great Club and Members who share their cars so freely and willingly with others. How about the absolute generosity of the custodian of the "New Phantom" who offered the unique experience of a ride in the new car to anyone who was interested and then was literally "killed in the rush" as members queued for this unexpected privilege? Unfortunately, the opportunity to drive the PI meant I could not ride in the New Phantom but hopefully this opportunity will come in the future.

A special thanks to Mick, Glennice and the WA members who gave us a fantastic Rally and post-Rally tour which will live long in our memories. Congratulations WA and well done.

David Gore
Posted on Friday, 11 April, 2003 - 19:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Chris,

What is the true performance of a Derby Bentley 4.25 Litre roadster - is it 80 Km/Hr or 80 Mph?

I understand there is some discussion to be had on this topic!!!!!!

Martin Cutler
Posted on Friday, 11 April, 2003 - 21:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

One of my greatest Rolls Royce thrills was maybe 20 years ago, sitting in the passenger seat of David Neely's Phantom I boat tailed roadster, driving along the M4 at 80 mph, overtaking all the Fords and Holdens. What a buzz, and being sort of on the tall side, my head was totally above the V windscreen. Last week I got the see a magnificent pre way Bentley roadster in Moss Vale. The owner's name was Geoff, but I didn't catch his last name. He lives in Moss Vale, and belongs to the Bentley Drivers Club. A most magnificent red roadster, although I didn't get a ride. 1936 model I think. Definitely LOOKED capable of 80+ mph.

Chris Gillings
Posted on Sunday, 13 April, 2003 - 08:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I can personally testify that a 4.25l Derby Bentley - the one I drove last week from Augusta, WA to the Evans & Tate winery - is hardly breaking into a sweat at 80mph. The tacho was showing 3000rpm and there was plenty more if I decided to put my foot down further. With a 4500rpm tacho range (not necessarily the redline, of course) you can do the top speed math yourself.

(And on a pedantic note, the "New Phantom" was released in 1927. The new "Phantom" was released this year.)

David Gore
Posted From: 63.60.233.116
Posted on Tuesday, 22 April, 2003 - 23:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I humbly stand corrected regarding the new "Phantom" - I was still in a state of ecstasy after driving the "New Phantom" when I did the post. Just to allow comparisons between the cars, the following photos of New Phantom 71UF and new "Phantom" 00001 are relevant:
phantom 1,phantom 2

Pat Lockyer.
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 81.131.127.108
Posted on Sunday, 30 May, 2004 - 23:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hope i am incorrect in that the new Phantom 12cyl 6.75 engine has the dreaded "nikasil" bores.
The fully synthetic oil washes off on cold starts with short runs!!
The sulphur in the fuel plays havoc in time!
Shall not order one until i am assured.

John Dare
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 144.138.194.58
Posted on Wednesday, 02 June, 2004 - 18:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have "Mahle" pistons and barrels in my "Porsche" 911, the cylinders bores being OEM coated with Nikasil. At 90,000 miles, engine performance,engine temp./oil consumption (BP "Corse +" oil) is as it was when new. These "Bosch" plunger pump F/Inj.engines (1972) ran rich, but I see no evidence of wear due to "fuel wash" etc., even after all those miles. Whether or not the "Phantom" 12cyl.6.75 - Er..BMW V12, will be a "good" engine (i.e as good as a REAL British built Rolls-Royce engine such as the immortal "B60" straight 6!) remains to be seen in the fullness of time. Either way,what a great pity that said engine has been installed in a "Desert Storm/Panzerwagen" like body, complete with a Union Pacific freight locomotive style front. And as for "those" seam welds (I SAW them!) under the bonnet and atop/proximal to the inner fender wells/bulkhead, well, what can I say?. No wonder a BMW supremo recently suggested that they (BMW) need to watch out for the acclaimed "Lexus" (LS430) whose masterful V8 is internationally respected by informed observers within the global auto industry!

Ashley James
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 62.255.0.5
Posted on Sunday, 06 June, 2004 - 02:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I thought one of the benefits of synthetic oil was that petrol did not wash it off.

For this reason Andy Wood (P&A Wood) uses it in his WW1 rotary engined plane! Fuel enters via the crankcase. Originally it would have used Castor oil.

ted gaulke
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 213.122.56.67
Posted on Sunday, 06 June, 2004 - 06:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ashley
i think that petrol does indeed wash the oil off the bores in engines that use synthetic oil for there lubrication,jaguar has suffered with this problem to the extent that in extreme cases when the engine doesn't start and it is tried again and again it will ruin the bores.the nikasil issue is a bit different in that it seems to affect mainly UK and USA vehicles due to the higher sulpur content of the petrol.I think now they have gone over to bores coated with alusil on some engines.
ted gaulke

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 208
Posted on Sunday, 06 June, 2004 - 07:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Question: why would synthetic oil possibly wash off with petrol sooner than mineral oil does ? Gunk ? Is gunk good afterall ?

I was lead to believe that synthetic oils behave far better in the presence of petrol, diesel, water and antifreeze. Being a relatively new synthetic convert after bad experiences 25 year ago with early synthetic oils, I am most curious of the facts.

RT.

ted gaulke
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 213.122.56.67
Posted on Sunday, 06 June, 2004 - 09:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

i don't know if it washes off any quicker but it does wash off.it affects these and similar engines that employ a large injection of fuel when starting as on a lot of modern high pressure injection systems,this in turn can cause extreme flooding,this is what does the damage.i personally like and use synthetic oils in all applications,i did not state it was washed off ahy quicker only that it does.
ted gaulke

Ashley James
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 62.252.40.71
Posted on Sunday, 06 June, 2004 - 19:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I do not think that BMW have problems with Nikasil as I've seen Bike engines that have done 350,000 miles (desptach riders) and still the bores are fine.

I've also seen an engine on which the oil had not been changed in 60,000 miles of short trips. The bores were perfect but the bearing shells and rings were completely worn out!

I have never tried to wash synthetic oil off with petrol but I have Castrol R. And it won't!