What are these parts worth? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » What are these parts worth? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Donald L. Rosenberg
Yet to post message
Username: drosen

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, 11 July, 2005 - 16:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

After 30 years, I am selling off my total RR collection of parts, literature, and memorabilia. Can anyone please tell me what a fair selling price would be for the following:
1. A Rolls Royce spring coil compressor tool RH195(large and very heavy),
2. A Silver Cloud "continental touring kit" (a long wooden box with spare parts previously available only on loan from a dealer),
3. A pair of Silver Cloud III wheels,
4. A Silver Cloud transmission adjustment tool (it's about 3" long, sort of cylindrical),
5. A gentlemen's silver shaving kit in a silver box, that was stored in the rear center armrest compartment of a Silver Cloud, and
6. A complete tool kit tray from a Silver Cloud.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thank you.
Don

Bill Coburn
Grand Master
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 461
Posted on Tuesday, 12 July, 2005 - 01:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Don the most valuable bit is the complete tool kit for the Cloud III. These are fetching USD 3-400 on eBay. The shaving kit in the armrest is new to me. Such gimmicks were popped into Phantoms but I assume it came out of a long wheel base car. These get USD50 plus. My Spur has an opening rear armsrest and I thought in the absence of a cocktail accessory a couple of flasks of a good single malt might be of utility and to the more practical of value. I really can't see anybody shaving in the back seat!

The transmission tool was a strange add in to the boot of the whole Cloud/S series in only apparent export cars. They clipped in the boot on the left side adjacent to the spare wheel. To adjust the transmission which has two bands it required that tool for the front band and a simple but precise gauge for the rear one. The latter was never supplied which is why I recently included the general shape and critical dimensions of the gauges on page 632 in the March 2005 edition of Tee One Topics.

Coincidentally I was given a touring kit today for a Cloud III. I got all hot and sweaty until I carefully went through it. You see there is one for sale on eBay for $2000. Suprisingly there is not a single bid! The box is superb with very nice handles and hasps and staples. Inside there are every reasonable bit one may need on the continent. Of interest when these kits were supplied (one paid and was reimbursed on return less a handling fee) one could not get a workshop manual. So there one was with one's Cloud in a remote village in the Andes, micturating petrol from the carburetters and you have a spare diaphragm in your 'continental touring kit' and in those days you would not be allowed to have a schmick of an idea what a diaphragm was nor where it went but you had the kit. It must have been very helpful!!! More to the point all the rubber hoses including the brake and petrol items are now 40 years old. Gaskets and distributor caps and points and such hardware are still of use but probably I'll keep mine for display in the boot of the car at suitable gatherings so that the still besotted can actually realise that the car does consist of bits that can really fail. To my mind almost like finding a laudry tag stapled to the Shroud of Turin!

The wheels are interesting. Did you know that to improve road holding the very last Clouds were fitted with wider rear wheels? I wonder which ones you have?

Lastly pardon my ignorance of part numbers but which compressor do you have? For front springs or rear?

You could if I may make the suggestion, make a gesture of unthinkable generosity and give the tool kit to some young enthusiast who has had to sell his body to get his Silver Cloud III to near concours standard and needs a kit and perhaps the transmission tool may fill that peculiar clip in the boot that he has never been able to identify.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 839
Posted on Tuesday, 12 July, 2005 - 01:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

On tools in general, I would like to see the RROC(A) hold a cache of the more unusual ones, such as spring compressors for all IRS cars, and liner removers for the V8s. OK, SY/SZ coil spring compressors have a limited life (about 200 applications), but how often do you remove Shadow or Spirit front coil springs ? A special tools rental service at a nominal price would be an enormous boon, especially to self-help groups. Leave the Bollinger in the Boot of the Bentley and hire me tools instead please.

Incidentally, whilst I have a set of transmission tools and band adjusters and use them, I always do the final adjustment by the old external method. I was once told by a certain Crewe person in the know that the tools were not introduced for accuracy at all. They were introduced to force dealers to drain the transmission oil periodically when removing the sump.

As for the car's tool kit, I am surprised at the low valuation. MkVI/R-Type/Silver Dawn kits are much more extensive than in a Cloud, and fetch prices which would astonish you. Even for a Cloud, $400 would be a bargain for a complete, pristine tool kit.

Opinions of course.

Donald L. Rosenberg
New User

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, 13 July, 2005 - 16:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for the thoughts. Hope to hear more!
I recently found a new-looking Cloud flashlight ("Torch"?) and a charger with a plug that fits the 2-hole receptacle on the Cloud dash.

The spring compressor is for the front, and bears part number RH175. The toolkit is, I think, from a Cloud 1 rather than a III. I'll have to search for pictures somewhere since a III kit is evidently worth more than a I kit.

I am surprised at the low suggested value for the shaving kit - it is inscribed "Rolls Razor" and I rather expected it would be a stellar item.

Now I need more help on the Touring Kit. After retrieving it, which I hadn't looked at for years, I see it is not what I thought it was. The owner of one of the Clouds I bought apparently wanted a kit and of course could not easily find one. He therefore set about making one. He did a nice job, very professional. He made a wooden case patterned after a picture of the kit, and then assembled the contents. Some of the parts are still very rare, but here's what's inside, all look new except for the rotor:
1 - Head Gasket
6 - N8 Sparking Plugs
6 - Ignition Wires with Boots
2 - Metal Windshield Wiper Arms
1 - Rubber Wiper Insert
1 - Distributor cap
1 - Coil
1 - Rotor
2 - sets points
1 - Diaphragm on a shaft
1 - Bulb "Phillips DUPLO TYP-1274"
1 - Bulb "Made in England 12v 40/50 w Lamp No. 415"
1 - White cloth roll, sealed in plastic bag, looks like maybe a flat rollable oil filter element inside the cloth.
Any thoughts on the value of this makeshift kit, or of the parts contained?

In another week or so I'm off to the National RROC (USA) meet with a carload of stuff.

Continued best to all,
Don

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 484
Posted on Wednesday, 13 July, 2005 - 16:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Don,

The price of these items is whatever they are worth to the prospective buyer - you may wish to consider offering the items by bid; interested buyers could make an offer during the meet and in the interest of fairness, you could allow the three highest bidders at the close to bid against each other for the item.

Other contributors may have a better idea or know of alternative ways of disposing of these items.

Donald L. Rosenberg
New User

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, 13 July, 2005 - 17:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi David:
A very good idea, indeed.
Didn't want to scalp anyone, nor cut myself too short either. Have never been too enthusiastic with auction results on Ebay; maybe live action at the meet will be better. Thanks for the idea!
Best,
Don

David Hughes
New User
Username: wedcar

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, 18 July, 2005 - 19:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Don
Interested to read your posts - I have been looking for a complete toolkit for a Cloud 1 - I have managed to obtain a few items - with very kind assistance from members of this forum with excellent information - if the toolkit is still available please let me know.
Best Regards
David

Donald L. Rosenberg
New User

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, 19 July, 2005 - 04:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi David:
I have recently come to find that some of the tools in the tray are not authentic. If you can tell me what you are missing, I can see if I have the proper item.
Best,
Don

Donald L. Rosenberg
New User

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, 21 July, 2005 - 05:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi again everyone.
Attached is a picture containing 3 items: two flashlights ("torches") and an aluminum part that was in my box of miscellaneous RR parts.

Does anyone know what cars these parts go to, and what these parts might be worth?

Thank you.
D.

RR Parts