Protection for light lenses Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Protection for light lenses « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bill Coburn
Grand Master
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 456
Posted on Thursday, 30 June, 2005 - 11:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have managed to get a good pair of original Lucas driving/fog lights for a late Bentley. Hanging as they do under the front bumber they make for excellent targets for the road gremlins. The original covers are I believe no longer available (they were the one with the little window in them).

There is a thick plastic sheeting that can be glued to the lenses of any car for stone projection. Does anybody know where I can get it?

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 481
Posted on Thursday, 30 June, 2005 - 16:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Bill,

I suspect you are after polycarbonate sheeting/film [Lexan is a well-known brand name] and I used to source this from a firm in Sydney called Cadillac Plastics about 10 years ago - hopefully they are still in business - just checked and they are still in business;

http://www.openart.com.au/cp/sitemap.html

They were always very helpful with technical advice and sales assistance.

Ralph C Brooks
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 71.105.49.254
Posted on Friday, 01 July, 2005 - 15:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Does anyone know of a source for the neat, chrome or stainless mesh for lense protection? I need a 5" size.
CHEERS, RALPH LRL40634

(Message approved by david_gore)

Bill Coburn
Grand Master
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 458
Posted on Thursday, 07 July, 2005 - 23:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David

Thanks for that advice but it turns out your friends were taken over some 10 years ago. I called Qantas and they had never heard of it. I'll try Lloyd Missen he may know. Anyway thanks.

BBC

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 835
Posted on Friday, 08 July, 2005 - 00:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I don't know if they are still available, but I bought standard perspex headlamp covers for our T-Series 20 years ago. They were available from any auto accessory shop in 5" or 7", and are contoured to the shape of the lens. They stand just proud of the lens, and fit in the original clamp and cover perfectly. Stoneproof. You cannot see them except up close, and have stayed üerfectly clear.

I must say I don't like the mesh ones: too much Mack Truck. Just an opinion of course.

RT.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 836
Posted on Friday, 08 July, 2005 - 02:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

OK, the resolution is poor, but these covers are virtually invisible even up close. You can only really tell by pushing the plastic and noticing it bends a little.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 837
Posted on Friday, 08 July, 2005 - 03:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP