Why do this to a Shadow? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Why do this to a Shadow? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Glenn Amer
Experienced User
Username: recordo

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, 03 June, 2005 - 19:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello folks,

just looking through postings on ebay, I came across this:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1256&item=7978589456&rd=1

why would anyone destroy a car like this? What did they do to the rest of the car? Put a Ford Grille on it?

Goodness...

regards

Glenn.

Robert Wort
Grand Master
Username: robert_wort

Post Number: 212
Posted on Saturday, 04 June, 2005 - 00:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Maybe the rest was totalled Glenn. What a waste though. It's very sad. Today, I was at a wedding and one of the guests, who was in his late twenties, asked me what sort of car was I driving.He had no idea. The truth is, many unfortunate individuals who were brought up in the eighties have no idea and that is why Rolls-Royce has suffered the fate that it has. It seems nowadays that all these young ones want to aspire to is either a 'Beemer' or a Monaro. They really don't know that there is something out there that reaches much, much higher. It's a bit like 'Doof doof' music (if that's what you can call it). Just a mind numbing thud without a melody. Many (though certainly not all) young ones have been deprived of a sense of beauty.

Peter Colwell
New User
Username: peter_colwell

Post Number: 9
Posted on Saturday, 04 June, 2005 - 07:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I think that what is missing is a certain mechanical empathy. The electronic age has meant that there are now thousands of people driving around who have not the foggiest notion of what is going on under the bonnet. This is the lowest-common-denominator effect which dissuades anyone but those most determined, - from gaining even basic mechanical knowledge.

Apart from the huge $$ cost of 'not knowing', eg. - while many of us here will recognise the slightest sign of overheating and stop immediately, - most of the newcomers will just keep going until it drops. With inevitable result.

So we 'pre-eighties' have a dual advantage. We can get simple great enjoyment from the subtle sounds of an engine working smoothly and quietly, and our pocket books are safe from very expensive unnecessary repairs.

Peter

Peter Colwell
New User
Username: peter_colwell

Post Number: 10
Posted on Saturday, 04 June, 2005 - 07:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just to add an example of the above scenario. I took my almost new Land Rover Discovery in for its warranty service. The otherwise-perfect report included a reference that the front timing seal should be replaced. I was aghast, after all the vehicle was new and the Oldsmobile engine design had been around for 50 years, time enough to fix any design faults.

I had a look myself. The return hose connection to the power steering reservoir was seeping and the oil was creeping down the hose and finally dripping on to the front of the engine near the timing case. A few seconds with a screwdriver fixed it.

But the above-mentioned people with zero mechanical knowledge might have said 'yes, replace it', and paid the horrendous price.

The V8 engine continues to run like a very quiet turbine with not a single leak, now many thousand of miles later.

John Shostrom
New User
Username: silvawraith2

Post Number: 10
Posted on Sunday, 05 June, 2005 - 23:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gentlemen: I couldn't agree more wholeheartedly with you! I first got interested in RR at the age of 5, and began collecting brochures and information. It wasn't until I was 30, in 1984, that I was able to get my first Crewe product, a 1953 Bentley R Type (B282TN). I lived in the US then, and drove from the East Coast to my new home in California. In Kansas, after refuelling, the car sputtered to a stop. Seemed like a fuel pump to me, so out I got and with the aid of a nail file, courtesy of my passenger, I gingerly rubbed at the contacts, got in the car, and continued on my way. It seems today so many people want all the "labels" without a care for whether it is genuine or not. Or without the responsibility that ownership entails. Who amongst us hasn't come away unscathed from an afternoon under the bonnet? Scratched and dirty, but very satisfied. Cheers to all.