A/C Bentley Turbo RL - NBG15389 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » A/C Bentley Turbo RL - NBG15389 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Alan Ford
Prolific User
Username: herne13

Post Number: 223
Posted on Tuesday, 27 March, 2018 - 14:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Progress report on 'Benny'. The wiring has all been repaired, I believe several breaks were found.
The Compressor unit has to be replaced and I presume this will be $$$$.
The TX valve also has to be replaced as it was badly blocked.
Prices are being acquired now.
The Bentley most likely wont be ready for Easter but shortly after - all being well.

Alan Ford
Prolific User

Post Number: 224
Posted on Thursday, 29 March, 2018 - 14:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I don't know if anyone else can see it but I cannot see David's reply? It just doesn't show.

michael vass
Grand Master
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 445
Posted on Thursday, 29 March, 2018 - 18:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Alan
No I can't see any reply.
My TX was blocked I just cleaned it out, then the compressor was fine, it didn't like running in a vacuum!
Mike

Alan Ford
Prolific User

Post Number: 225
Posted on Friday, 30 March, 2018 - 00:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Michael,Thanks for answering :-) Exactly what function does the TX valve perform? I am wondering if it is part of the A/C or something like a blow off valve for the turbo. As you can see I am not mechanically minded.

michael vass
Grand Master
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 446
Posted on Friday, 30 March, 2018 - 02:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Alan
My understanding of it is where the compressed gas goes through to be evaporated for the cooling effect and the TX valve regulates this ok.
Mine was blocked by gunge from the old receiver dryer and old oil, the filter in the valve is tiny and very very fine, about the size of the tip of a pencil and finer than a silk, stupid you ask me.
I just cleaned mine out with brake cleaner, no need for a new valve and didn't need a new compressor either!
Hope that helps
Mike

Alan Ford
Prolific User

Post Number: 226
Posted on Friday, 30 March, 2018 - 09:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Michael, thanks for explaining what the TX valve does. The mechanic sorting the Bentley's issues out said the valve was beyond repair. A previous Auto Electrician told me the compressor was fine after he hot wired it to see if it worked, what he failed to notice was the gases escaping from the back of the unit. I don't know if you have ever traveled in a RR/B with no A/C but even on a cool day the heat inside the cab is stifling and I would not recommend it lol.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2855
Posted on Friday, 30 March, 2018 - 09:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan,

I deleted it after I read it as it was only relevant to a Shadow and not a Turbo RL.

Alan Ford
Prolific User

Post Number: 227
Posted on Friday, 30 March, 2018 - 09:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ahh thanks David, I wasn't sure if the problem was my end or not. If I have got it right I am told the A/C on a Shadow II is the same as whats on my Turbo R.

David Gore

Post Number: 2856
Posted on Friday, 30 March, 2018 - 19:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan,

Check if the aircon compressor has either a GM or Frigidaire name plate - if so, any car air conditioning service centre can overhaul the unit as parts are still available for most of these compressors due to the sheer numbers made over the years. Second-hand units are cheap and should be widely available wherever in the world large GM cars were sold.

I wasn't certain if the GM-derived system used in the Shadow was installed in the Spirit and later derivatives however your comment suggests this is, in fact, the case.

Alan Ford
Prolific User

Post Number: 228
Posted on Monday, 02 April, 2018 - 08:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi David. Unfortunately my Bentley is in a workshop in Canberra and I live in rural NSW. By now the parts would have been sourced and ordered. I had no idea the some GM parts would fit nicely. I hope my mechanic is aware of this info :-)

David Gore

Post Number: 2860
Posted on Monday, 02 April, 2018 - 10:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan,

A phone call tomorrow morning to check might reassure you - I would be very surprised if the repairer wasn't aware of this aspect of R-R/B air conditioning systems.

In any event, the GM/Frigidaire nameplate on the compressor should alert the repairer to check the after-market GM parts suppliers for availability. From memory, the R-R compressor may have been most likely fitted to the V8 Holden Statesman as the cars were of similar size.

Alan Ford
Prolific User

Post Number: 229
Posted on Sunday, 08 April, 2018 - 18:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Update, my Bentley will be ready to come home later this week. I get the bill for the work on Tuesday...

Maxwell Heazlewood
Prolific User
Username: tasbent

Post Number: 167
Posted on Sunday, 08 April, 2018 - 21:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan...have you double mortgaged the house, sold your children into slavery? ;o))

Alan Ford
Prolific User

Post Number: 230
Posted on Sunday, 08 April, 2018 - 23:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

LOL not yet Maxwell but the repairer doesn't know this yet, if his bill is too high he owns the car ;) lol I have to admit the car has cost me a lot more over the last 12 months than I would have liked.

Maxwell Heazlewood
Prolific User

Post Number: 168
Posted on Monday, 09 April, 2018 - 00:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ah the joys of elitist motoring

Alan Ford
Prolific User

Post Number: 231
Posted on Wednesday, 09 May, 2018 - 18:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I picked up Benny today from the workshop, gee it's good to have the Bentley home, I enjoyed the drive.
It seems a job coming up will be the hydraulics as they are starting to leak a bit, that news took the smile off my face...
I ask, 'When will the pain stop?'

Maxwell Heazlewood
Prolific User

Post Number: 184
Posted on Sunday, 13 May, 2018 - 11:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Alan,
How is the newly refurbed air-con holding up?
Sloppy maintenance levels by a previous owner will
always cause pain down the track.

Alan Ford
Prolific User

Post Number: 232
Posted on Monday, 14 May, 2018 - 19:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Maxwell, to be honest I haven't set it up and or tried it out yet. I didnt want to be distracted fiddling with the settings on my way home from the workshop as it would have meant taking my eyes off the road for too long. I will be taking the car over to see Phil (RR technician) in the next few days and I will make sure I have it set properly then. I am looking forward to taking the car out again and I can see a few coffee runs coming to surround towns/villages. You are spot on about the car being neglected. I made the mistake of thinking since the car had sat in a private showroom for a good while it would be in good nick, what I neglected to think about was things drying up, eg brakes, hydraulics, possibly wheel bearings and the like. I have a heavy road in front of working out how I can pay for some of the items I mentioned which all turn out to be big ticket items. I was told to look at it like I am rebuilding the cars history which will increase its value.....Not sure about that yet lol I am in too deep to get out that's for sure. Damn certain if I were to sell it I would be the big loser.

Maxwell Heazlewood
Prolific User

Post Number: 185
Posted on Tuesday, 15 May, 2018 - 13:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes Alan...they're not the best cars for flo-thru ventilation
You will certainly notice the difference once you set it up correctly.
These systems need to be operating all the time
to gain best comfort levels and keeps the system working properly.
Nothing kills an A/C system quicker than lack of use.
make sure you operate the heat settings at maximum at least once a month to keep the full flow through the heater matrix....saves a lot of grief in these cars that usually suffer from lack of use.

Alan Ford
Prolific User

Post Number: 233
Posted on Tuesday, 05 June, 2018 - 21:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Maxwell, guys. I took the car into Phils today for it's annual small service. I finally got to test the repaired A/C and an happy to report all works well with it. Maxwell I will certainly take your advice and flash up the A/C on a regular basis.
I am starting to build up a service log what with the Major service, the A/C repairs and now a Minor service. Engine oil was changed Penrite 20W60, Coolant added a quite thorough check over and a couple of weeping hoses tightened that had come a tad loose. All in all it's looking good and the services always add value especially as it arrived without any service history.

Here are a couple of photo's, yes I know the car needs a clean and that will happen very soon. Funny story, as I drove out of my street today it started to rain, I had to stop the car and work out where the wiper controls were lol Oh the shame.

Cheers
Al.

Maxwell Heazlewood
Prolific User

Post Number: 202
Posted on Wednesday, 06 June, 2018 - 00:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good to hear you have it sorted Alan...just remeber
the old saying "Use it or loose it"

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: