The Simple(st) thing Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » The Simple(st) thing « Previous Next »

Author Message
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mark Luft
Prolific User
Username: bentleyman1993

Post Number: 161
Registered: 10-2016
Posted on Tuesday, 16 January, 2018 - 06:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Some may remember that I had my first FTP a few months ago with my Turbo R. It was the fuel pump and it has been performing well since that episode. Although, every once in a while, while driving the whole car would shut down for half a second or so. I thought that the fuel pump relay, or some other relay, was causing the issue. Last Sunday, I was getting ready to drive the car to work, 3 1/2 hours away. I had not driven the car for over a month, but I had used the battery disconnect switch. I climbed in, turned the key, the engine turned over (a bit slowly) and fired right up. I pulled it out of the garage and let her run for a while, (charging the battery). I shut it off, went inside to eat lunch, came back out, loaded the car for the trip, hit the key and everything went out. No lights, no cranking, nothing. Crap. I fiddled with the battery disconnect switch, opened the bonnet and tapped the relays, looked at some fuses and nothing. I was running late so I transfered everything to the Mini and as I was closing the door on the Bentley, the interior lights came on. I headed out in the Mini, disappointed. When I got to work on Monday I related my dilemma to my co-worker who said Starter motor cable or battery terminal. So Sunday I went out to the Big Blue Bus and opened the boot and Lo and behold, the negative battery cable was just barely on the battery, loose as can be. Less than a minute with a wrench and the oid girl fired right up and away we went. No hiccups on the way to work this week. The battery cable SHOULD have been the first thing I checked, BUT, being a Bentley, I fiddled with relays, fuses, switch, everything but the simplest thing.
Sorry for the long post.
Mark
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Benoit Leus
Grand Master
Username: benoitleus

Post Number: 322
Registered: 6-2009
Posted on Tuesday, 16 January, 2018 - 06:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark,

the same thing happened to me many years ago.
My Triump Dolomite Sprint was dead as a dodo after I filled it up. After checking fuses, relays, etc, ... I finally caved in and phoned the automobile club’s breakdown service.
The patrolman showed up and reconnected the battery’s earth lead. I felt pretty stupid.

Add Your Message Here
Post:
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: