Pre-war Water pump grease Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Pre-war Water pump grease « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jack Higginbotham
Experienced User
Username: jhinmd

Post Number: 18
Posted on Saturday, 30 December, 2017 - 23:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

When I purchased my 25/30 Wraith, the previous owner stressed the need to only use Shell Cyprina grease for waterpump grease. At least in the US, that particular substance seems to only be available in huge quantities, seemingly for the locomotive industry. I’ve come across Lubriplate, and their 115 water pump grease seems to be made for my situation.
Does anyone have opinions on the Lubriplate products ( readily available online here)?
Also, will any lithium soap grease do, or is there indeed mystical properties around Shell Cyprina?
Thank you in advance,
Jack

Jonas TRACHSEL
Prolific User
Username: jonas_trachsel

Post Number: 157
Posted on Sunday, 31 December, 2017 - 00:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Google "Castrol Classic Water pump grease". You can order a 500gm can via Amazon for about £ 11.00.
Castrol classic water pump grease is rather stiff at room temperature. It has the consistency of Nutella out of the fridge. It has the color of bees wax and can be stabbed with a knife to fill into the water pump grease cup. You will need about a teaspoon full per year, so a half-Kilogramme can should last about a century....
JoT

Jack Higginbotham
Experienced User

Post Number: 19
Posted on Sunday, 31 December, 2017 - 08:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you Jonas. I appreciate the lead.

Jonas TRACHSEL
Prolific User
Username: jonas_trachsel

Post Number: 158
Posted on Sunday, 31 December, 2017 - 17:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This water pump grease has to be rather stiff so that it will not be washed away by the circulating cooling fluid to be deposited somewhere in the engine or worse in the radiator where it would clog up the fine water passages with time. Therefore don't overdue the greasing, two or three turns of the grease cup every 2000 Miles is enough.
In addition to lubing the waterpump shaft and bearing this grease has a second function. It helps the gland to seal against leakage.
JoT

Trevor Pickering
Experienced User
Username: commander1

Post Number: 30
Posted on Sunday, 31 December, 2017 - 18:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Try Penrite water pump grease.
Works very well

Trevor Pickering

Maxwell Heazlewood
Prolific User
Username: tasbent

Post Number: 139
Posted on Sunday, 31 December, 2017 - 20:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'll vouch for Penrite....all their products are first class.

Jack Higginbotham
Experienced User

Post Number: 20
Posted on Sunday, 31 December, 2017 - 21:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks so much....there is a Penrite distributor in the US, and I have downloaded their catalogue. (Restoration Supply Company). Compiling an order now. Thank you. Jack

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: