Leather care Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Leather care « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 784
Posted on Friday, 01 December, 2017 - 12:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Has anybody tried Mequires Leather Care? Insanely cheap at under $30 ÀUD. I need to know whether its a good product or total crap.

Maxwell Heazlewood
Prolific User
Username: tasbent

Post Number: 115
Posted on Friday, 01 December, 2017 - 14:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Greetings Vladimir....I use Meguiars for most thinngs and have found there leather conditioner to
work quite well....make sure you go over your leather with a damp cloth first to remove surface
dust and grime and then follow directions.
My personal favourite for leather care is Glyptons
You can get drunk on the leather smell

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1592
Posted on Friday, 01 December, 2017 - 23:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I found Mequires quite good.

I found that using bare hands to rub the stuff in and on the seat works best.

Your hands will feel nice and soft after.

If the polishing dusters are left under the front seats the smell of leathers works better

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1657
Posted on Friday, 01 December, 2017 - 23:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Be careful that the dusters do not get caught up in the seat worm drives.

keith pearson
New User
Username: dud_fivers

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, 02 December, 2017 - 04:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Now there's a surprise, I'd have guessed you boys in Aus would have all sworn by Mr Sheen! I know a few here who like it for leather, though. For old dried leather, try this stuff called "Elephant Cream" or similar , works wonders on old dried seats. I will have a look at the tin tomorrow, too cold here to go out to the shed and ferret it out tonight.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 1594
Posted on Saturday, 02 December, 2017 - 09:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

For cleaning hand soap and 35c water and nail brush.

Leather is skin and responds the same way as your own skin

keith pearson
New User

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, 03 December, 2017 - 04:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

the cream is "Elephant leather Cream" and is used by museums presumably to restore old elephants etc. Made in Germany , I got it on EBay. Does a good job on very old dry leather like my 1953 Lanchester 14.

ross kowalski
Grand Master
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 652
Posted on Monday, 04 December, 2017 - 00:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vlad,

Leather is skin and any product that is good for your skin is good for leather. THE best cheap effective skin care product is Eucerin (or any like lanolin rich clone) and it works for leather too.

The other source of cheap leather care products is at the horse store. The products can be very cheap, but you need to check that they have a RR compatible smell. I use Lexol which is 9 USD for a 16 oz spray bottle. I have a dark green interior and it worked great. Old leather drinks it right up, soft leather you need to give it a little time to soak in before buffing off.

The leather seats in the 63 caddy are about to get treated, maybe I'll get some Lexol before and after shots.

Maxwell Heazlewood
Prolific User

Post Number: 118
Posted on Monday, 04 December, 2017 - 14:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The trouble I find with a great majority of these products is they are either greasy, stink or leave an awful gloss on the leather.
I prefer a good product to leave the leather with it's natural sheen so it looks like leather and not plastic!

ross kowalski
Grand Master
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 656
Posted on Tuesday, 05 December, 2017 - 13:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Max,

I always trust Feibings and Lexol when it comes to leather. Lexol products are inexpensive, but I think it's because all they do is leather products.

The product of theirs I use is the one for horse saddles and is great for protecting leather.

Lexol makes a huge range of leather products I would guess the the ones for car leather are as good as the ones for saddles.

Can't say I am a fan of the waxy look either.

Maxwell Heazlewood
Prolific User

Post Number: 119
Posted on Tuesday, 05 December, 2017 - 13:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Like I said Ross...there a number of good products out there and we all have our favorites must I must say that horse saddle products do not really suit modern types of automotive leathers....that is an entirely different ball game.
Saddlery products are more suitable to much older style of leathers as they were treated differently.
I have tried Leatherique and a couple of other well known brands but they don't cut it in my book.
I stick to Glyptone

Paul Marshall
New User
Username: welshbentleyboy

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, 12 December, 2017 - 01:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I use Gliptone cleaner first followed by Renapur

https://www.renapur.com/shop/renapur-leather-balsam-200ml

This is also recommended for saddles but works brilliantly on my Arnage T

StevenBrown
Frequent User
Username: stevenbrown

Post Number: 87
Posted on Tuesday, 12 December, 2017 - 06:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My area has a lot of horse properties. I know a few use a "saddle" soap to clean the saddles, etc.... I tried some on my car and then Mequires was added. Excellent results. The Glycerine or saddle soap is made by Kiwi so maybe can be found throughout our "common"wealth's!

Maxwell Heazlewood
Prolific User

Post Number: 129
Posted on Thursday, 14 December, 2017 - 18:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Paul....as you used Glyptones cleaner, how come you did not follow up with their leather rejuvenator?
This product is superb and imparts the most delicious leather aroma.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 1617
Posted on Thursday, 14 December, 2017 - 22:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have used Chelsea Dubbin - its for football boots- but owing to modern football boots, now difficult to get.
Kiwi clear boot polish.

Paul Marshall
New User

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, 15 December, 2017 - 00:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have tried the Gliptone leather rejuvenator and it is good but not in my opinion as good as Renapur

Maxwell Heazlewood
Prolific User

Post Number: 132
Posted on Friday, 15 December, 2017 - 09:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Paul, where can I lay my hands on this magic brew?
Would it be available in Oz?

Jeff McCarthy
Grand Master
Username: jefmac2003

Post Number: 489
Posted on Friday, 15 December, 2017 - 10:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Here Maxwell

https://www.renapur.com/renapur-australia/

Paul Marshall
New User

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, 17 December, 2017 - 01:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Some interesting ideas!

Imagine putting vodka in your washer fluid!

http://activly.com/10-cleaning-hacks-that-will-clean-your-car-better-and-faster-than-you-ever-have/

Paul

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2773
Posted on Sunday, 17 December, 2017 - 07:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Paul,

This is not as silly as it sounds especially in cold countries where bootleg alcohol is cheap and readily available.

There is a chart in the link below which shows the freezing points for water/alcohol mixtures:

http://www.themadscienceblog.com/2014/01/chemistry-of-beer-part-ii-freezing.html

keith pearson
Experienced User

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, 20 December, 2017 - 03:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

another one is "Doc Martens Boot Balm" , the same as the famous boots , it just soaks in and softens and re - juvenates leather, very good.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: