Purple Silver Spirit Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Purple Silver Spirit « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 779
Posted on Monday, 20 November, 2017 - 15:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Chaps. A few months back I decided to end the lease on my luxury apartment in Bowen and drive the Purple Monster up to my country lair which meant driving it across about 47 kilometres of corrugated potholed gravel road.

The braking system is shot. Green mineral oil is pouring out of all six calipers like the nile and the engine is dropping oil.

That said the car drove beautifully. In fact it is the most precise vehicle I have ever driven. It handled the road including the gravel like it was on the Autobahn.

This is a car that has not had the best of care but for ten grand I could not pass it up. At night the car appears black but in the sunshine it is a deep metallic purple.

Nervous as I was I went to operate the turn indicator but grabbed the wrong stalk and put the bugger into reverse at about 40 kph which locked up the rear with a huge yelp of the tyres.

Sadly, the car has been converted to LPG only and the fuel tank has been removed. LPG is great stuff but where I live its 220 kilometres to the nearest LPG outlet so LPG is useless for me.

There is something strange about the boot lock as it will not latch so I taped the lid down with gaffer tape. A ghastly but necessary move.

It was a crazy drive home but a carton of beer soon soothed the nerves.

I hit a very big pothole which caused the Spirit of Ecstasy to vanish into the grille. How bloody rude of her I thought.

But now the car is safely home sitting under cover next to the Cadillac so all is good.

ross kowalski
Grand Master
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 632
Posted on Tuesday, 21 November, 2017 - 12:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vlad,

Glad the beer worked and what kind of caddy?

Grand Master

Post Number: 781
Posted on Tuesday, 21 November, 2017 - 17:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross, a 1976 Cadillac Fleetwood in Phoenician Ivory with Olive cloth, 500ci injected bought in Los Lunos New Mexico with 73,000 miles in near mint condition.
Last of the large Fleetwood's before hideous downsizing.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1360
Posted on Wednesday, 22 November, 2017 - 03:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Vladimir,
Come and visit me in Dubai and you can take home with you a petrol tank from a 91 Turbo R with my compliments.
Glad you are using the right fluids to rectify tensions mate.......

Omar

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 868
Posted on Wednesday, 22 November, 2017 - 05:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar how do you think Vladimir is going to get a turbo r petrol tank into Australia (Customs officer, anything to declare, Vladimir no, just this small momento from Dubai, What about those two electric fans to fit your Range Rover you bought at the Auto jumble how did that work in your luggage. I have to admit to having a chuckle at the antics of you and Alan Dibley and I at Beaulieu.

Richard.

Grand Master

Post Number: 782
Posted on Wednesday, 22 November, 2017 - 12:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ah yes Omar, I tend to think the concept of having an empty used petrol tank hidden in a large suitcase and brought on to a plane flying from the middle east to Australia may get certain authorities and scrutinizers a tad excited.

I think questions may be asked.

Thanks so much for the offer. However, when I fly I never travel with any luggage. This is because Australia is one of those dopey countries where police forces gobble through billions of dollars annually and sqwark loudly in the press that they are doing a great job of keeping the naughty drugs out of the country when nothing could be further from the truth.

Prohibition never works and indeed the same naughty drugs can be scored in any nightclub in Oz.

Its important Omar to avoid such stupidity and their help.

That said I am looking forward to visiting you and seeing your fine collection some time in the future in Dubai.

Question: Are firecrackers legal in Dubai?

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1584
Posted on Wednesday, 22 November, 2017 - 22:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have imported lots of greasey crudey car bits through UK customs, they just waive me through.

I was reading about Al Capone the other day, all prohibition does is give criminal opportunity.

I say legalise and tax.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2513
Posted on Thursday, 23 November, 2017 - 01:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vladimir,

Yep, that Fleetwood was the last of the giants!

I will say, though, that the "downsizing" between 1977 and 1979 was appreciated by me, not so much then, but definitely now. It was minimal overall and the cars went back to looking more proportional. I wasn't wild about the changes between 1974 and 1976.

My favorite era was 1967 and 1968 with the stacked, raked headlamps and the incredibly huge, yet remarkably graceful, bodies. I still hope to have a Coupe de Ville convertible from that era before I die. If I can't have that then a Chrysler Imperial convertible of the same vintage will do quite nicely, too.

Brian

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1361
Posted on Thursday, 23 November, 2017 - 06:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Richard,
The fans came through no trouble mate.
I have taken all sorts of things that have tickled the customs men and women. An AC compressor made them bring their supervisor once. But the one thing i will never bring in my luggage ever again are accumulators for the hydraulics. Dear oh dear oh dear!!! To Customs people they look like your typical comic book bomb but without the fuse!!

A petrol tank would be a piece of cake to take through. simply because it looks like a bloody petrol tank!!

Vlad - come and get it mate.....

ross kowalski
Grand Master
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 633
Posted on Thursday, 23 November, 2017 - 10:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vlad,

The 500 is a great thing. Good find.
I will post some pics of the 63 soon. It might end up a ute or a convertible. X frame on that car so both are doable.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: