H4 LED Bulb Conversion. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » H4 LED Bulb Conversion. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1510
Posted on Thursday, 14 September, 2017 - 05:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

H4 led bulbs conversion fit as is, no need for igniters etc.
Cheap as chips.
Will try them out when I have some time.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272479237984

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2663
Posted on Thursday, 14 September, 2017 - 09:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Pat,

Awaiting your installation and test report with great interest especially the spread and range compared to halogen bulbs.

I need to replace the 90/130W halogen bulbs on my 4WD as they are over 10 years old and deteriorating.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 827
Posted on Sunday, 17 September, 2017 - 07:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Pat will they fit in my turbo R.

Richard.

Mark Taxis
Prolific User
Username: mark_taxis

Post Number: 148
Posted on Sunday, 17 September, 2017 - 16:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Also interested to hear your report, I am thinking of putting them in my mk6 special

michael vass
Grand Master
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 364
Posted on Sunday, 17 September, 2017 - 17:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Pat
If there is no igniter is that what the lighter is for lol
Mike

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1515
Posted on Sunday, 17 September, 2017 - 18:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mike the lighter is if the conversion fails, I will resort to the old Carbide lamps or acetylene gas lamps in witch case the lighter will be needed to light the flame!

Will have a go to fit them later to-day.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1516
Posted on Monday, 18 September, 2017 - 00:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

After Sunday lunch fitted one bulb to the Porsche quite straightforward, good points so far, bulb fitted with the lens internal shroud, the bulb has instant illumination with its built in igniter.
White light given off so not to much to see with the LED between the old bulb, pix showing.

The internal lens shroud is showing

Richard will compare the lights on roadway to-night.
The bulbs will fit the turbo R but not sure if the lower power draw will put a warning light on or bulbs maybe not work.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1517
Posted on Monday, 18 September, 2017 - 05:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Need to do some checks on the beam setter.
First pix is LEDs on dip, next pix is on main beam with both spot lights on.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2671
Posted on Monday, 18 September, 2017 - 14:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Interesting,

I was expecting a significant high beam difference between the LED and halogen bulbs but this is not evident in Patrick's photos.

Perhaps this will change with the advent of 5 and 7 LED H4/H7 bulb inserts.

Mark Luft
Prolific User
Username: bentleyman1993

Post Number: 109
Posted on Wednesday, 04 October, 2017 - 03:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick, how are the LED bulbs working out? Did you have any issues fitting them to the lenses? Happy with the beam pattern? I'm thinking of using these on my Bentley.

Thank You
Mark

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1544
Posted on Wednesday, 04 October, 2017 - 16:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Fitting no prob, light beam on dip v-good, high beam fair for high speed.
V-good points low current draw, cooler running, instant illumination.
In all a better spread of light where you need it.

Mark Taxis
Prolific User

Post Number: 149
Posted on Thursday, 05 October, 2017 - 09:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick
Thank you for the information, I will try and source some bulbs at a reasonable price , the only ones I have seen in Aus were crazy money.
Can anyone advise whether or not they will work ok in the Mk6 fitted with a generator, I am not sure if the voltage is stable or not, i do notice that when the fan is switched on it does initially draw a large current and I was wondering if this would have any effect on LED bulbs

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1545
Posted on Thursday, 05 October, 2017 - 16:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark, this is what you need from spec:
"5) Input current only 2.2A ± 0.1A. constant current control, anti-interference circuit design.
6) Wide-range voltage: DC9V-36V, More stably startup."

Will be OK.

Alan Dibley
Frequent User
Username: alsdibley

Post Number: 91
Posted on Saturday, 07 October, 2017 - 02:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I was intrigued enough to buy two pairs, Although they look HUGE they fit into 5 3/4 inch units, as on SS/Ts, so I have put them in my Bentley and will try them out this evening. The spread seems wider, the colour is whiter. and THERE IS A FAN ON THE FRONT inside the silver cowl.

As Pat says, they are internally regulated, so are not sensitive to voltage variation - 9 volts is enough and 15 is not nearly too much. How long will the fan bearings last????

Alan D.

Alan Dibley
Frequent User

Post Number: 92
Posted on Saturday, 07 October, 2017 - 02:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

PS.

Because the main beam H1s look very yellow I've ordered a couple of pairs of LED H1s too.

Alan D.

Maxwell Heazlewood
Experienced User
Username: tasbent

Post Number: 30
Posted on Saturday, 07 October, 2017 - 11:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gents....I'm intrigued as to how these LED's pass regulations. Do they offer any dazzling to oncoming motorists and do they have the correct beam
cut off on Lo-beam?
How would they compare to Phillips X-treme Vision 55W lamps....other than the wattage issue?

Alan Dibley
Frequent User

Post Number: 93
Posted on Saturday, 07 October, 2017 - 20:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Maxwell,
I assume the cut-off/dazzle questions can be answered by twiddling the alignment screws as I have done???

Alan D.

Mark Taxis
Prolific User

Post Number: 150
Posted on Sunday, 08 October, 2017 - 09:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have to check the measurements, some of the the bulbs and fitting I have looked at on line appear very bulky and I am not sure if it will fit in the housing,(I have a Mk6 Special so the housing is not original) also note that some of the bulbs are fitted with fans for cooling I am not sure how the fan will work, there is no ventilation in the headlight housing so hot air is just going to build up in there.

Alan Dibley
Frequent User

Post Number: 95
Posted on Sunday, 08 October, 2017 - 18:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark, it's very deceptive - they fit into 5 3/4 inch units as on Shadows with a bit to spare. If they don't the fan cowl could be removed to give a bit more room (might look a bit odd) but I've fitted them OK.

A standard bulb generates 55 or 60 watts, these generate less than 30 so they should be OK - time will tell. The reflectors shouldn't suffer but the LEDs are temperature sensitive to some degree.

The H1s may be a different problem - the shape is weird but if they can not be used in the Bentley I can use them on the big Citroen. They should arrive soon???

Alan D.

Alan Dibley
Frequent User

Post Number: 100
Posted on Sunday, 15 October, 2017 - 19:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My conclusions:

The H4 replacements as in Patrick L's first picture are worth the investment. They do not have the flat-top cut-off like 21st century lights but careful twiddling of the adjusters produces OK patterns.

H1 or H3 replacements for the inner light units are a big problem - the "normal" size ones are useless (I've tried three different kinds) with no significant light output, and the effective ones have huge heat-sink and cooling appendages that make them useless for our purposes. But...

I have ordered a pair of H4 type 5 3/4 inch lamp units to replace the existing H1 or H3 inner lamps. They will be fitted with a pair of the H4 "bulbs" as aforementioned using one LED as main beam supplements. This will give the expected increase in light on main beam. (I hope.)

Alan D.

Maxwell Heazlewood
Frequent User
Username: tasbent

Post Number: 72
Posted on Sunday, 15 October, 2017 - 22:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Frankly...I consider good quality H7,H4,H1 quartz halogen globes such as those produced by Philips to still remain superior....the Philips X-Treme Vision range are far superior in their light output and beam pattern and are legal in most countries.
The LED lights and HID light units are still not legal in many places.

Alan Dibley
Prolific User

Post Number: 101
Posted on Monday, 16 October, 2017 - 17:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have not recommended them to the forum - just reported what I am experimenting with. The biggest improvement has been to the lights on the 2CV, which seem to be poor even when treated to posh bulbs and relays with heavy wiring. I must look into the legality in UK. Anyone know? The next MoT might be a downer.

Alan D.

Alan Dibley
Prolific User

Post Number: 106
Posted on Monday, 13 November, 2017 - 23:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

After a bit of experience in darkness on three widely different cars my decision is to keep the LED lamps as in Patrick L's pictures in the first post of this thread.
All three cars - 1988 Citroen CX25GTi, 1988 Citroen 2CV and 1971 Bentley T - WERE fitted with high output QI bulbs and some with heavy wiring to relays. Incidentally because these units work on any voltage from 9 to 36 volts (they have built-in current control) beefed-up wiring is not needed, AND they take less than half the power of normal lamps. The two Citroens had heavy wiring plus relays.

2CV: Total transformation - I can now see where I'm going. About 2 or 3 times (??) the light output of pure white light. The beam pattern is a bit fuzzy round the edges - there is no sharp cut-off at the top. I suspect that is "A Good Thing" and stops oncoming drivers getting the sudden flash on-and-off effect seen on undulating roads.

CX GTi: They were pretty good before but better now. The whiteness is what makes the difference I think. The supplementary high beam units don't have the space to fit the H1 LED lmps so have reverted to Philips posh blue-tinted QI.

Bentley T: As for the CX, but to overcome the supplementary high beam space problem I have substituted standard 5 3/4 inch H4 units on the inner positions, using only the high-beam bit. Works fine.

These bulbs have an odd habit of not switching from high to low or vv. Lots of fiddling led me to the conclusion that the little electronical bits at the back of the lamps will not change unless the one that is being turned off is COMPLETELY turned off - that is there is no residual voltage left on the terminal. If switching from high to low the indicator lamp on the dashboard is sufficient to drain any capacitive charge from the wiring of the high beam circuit and the dip beam comes on fine. When going the other way there is no corresponding drain and it can be slow to switch or not switch at all (especially when the lamps are hot). Fixed by adding a 200 ohm resistor across the dip circuit.

I checked the effect on approaching drivers by parking (on a deserted road in a factory estate, at night) and kneeling in the road as if I were an oncoming driver in a sports car. Adjusting the aim gave a satisfactory effect. The MoT will confirm/deny it soon. The Bentley is first up.

Alan D. who is not recommending these to the forum, just saying what he has done to bring the lighting nearer to 21st century requirements

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1619
Posted on Tuesday, 14 November, 2017 - 03:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan pleased you have them up and running.
May be I will do the 2CV in the spring and get to use it as its not used ATM.
Last time used the fuel pump was sluggish on first start up.
Must get a non return valve and try that.

A few pix of the dusty car.

Alan Dibley
Prolific User

Post Number: 107
Posted on Tuesday, 14 November, 2017 - 09:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

21st century lamps are not the only tweak on the 2CV. It has 3-speed intermittent wipers, high-level LED stop-light, headlight flasher button and single-wipe button on the steering wheel boss (both radio operated), big reversing lamp (after an experience in a pitch-black parking field), two USB-ports for charging 'phones and sat-navs, warning buzzer for lights-on-with-ignition-off, re-jetted carb to suit modern fuels (which means it will sometimes overtake lorries on M-ways) and probably more which escape me. These make it a reasonably practical car for 2017 as long as one drives defensively - the crash protection is zero-star quality. It's mostly used for short rural trips.

A bit off-topic. Alan D.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: