"My grandfather owned a straight eigh... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » "My grandfather owned a straight eight-cylinder Rolls-Royce." « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

RROCA Web Site Administrator (144.137.127.76)
Posted on Wednesday, 11 September, 2002 - 16:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Rolls-Royce did not make an eight-cylinder engine for passenger vehicles before WWII. The first model with eight-cylinders was the Phantom IV, of which twelve were made and sold exclusively to royalty and heads of state.

So until the late 1950s your grandfather couldn't have owned an eight-cylinder Rolls-Royce unless he was royalty or similar. By the early sixties all Rolls-Royce cars had V8 engines and the straight eight was only used in military vehicles.

Martin Cutler (203.18.6.104)
Posted on Thursday, 12 September, 2002 - 09:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

How many cylinders in the "legalimit"?

RROCA Web Site Administrator (144.137.127.76)
Posted on Thursday, 12 September, 2002 - 10:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The "Legalimit" was a V8. A pity none survive (at least not yet).

I put in "straight" eight there to avoid complicating things, as so very few know of the Legalimit.

Robin Hickman (203.173.164.72)
Posted on Friday, 13 September, 2002 - 08:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I believe there were some factory conversions of PIII cars with V12 engines to B8 straight 8 engines, when they were having problems with the V12 engines, especially due to the problems associated with hydraulic tappets.
Can anyone verify this?

Roy Tilley (202.27.176.157)
Posted on Friday, 13 September, 2002 - 21:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I know some conversions to B80's have been carried out outside the factory. Also Lord Hives, as he became, had a Phantom IV for his own use. Are we talking to Hs' grandson perhaps!!!!!?