Silver Cloud 1 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Silver Cloud 1 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Peter Colwell
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 144.135.175.52
Posted on Tuesday, 22 March, 2005 - 15:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Is it correct that all the Silver Cloud 1 cars had the Bijur system up until the end of the model run?

Thanks
Peter

(Message approved by david_gore)

Robert Wort
Grand Master
Username: robert_wort

Post Number: 167
Posted on Tuesday, 22 March, 2005 - 21:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes Peter,
Indeed they did! When I had my Cloud 1 (SFE 459), I was always getting complaints from my father about oil drips on the garage floor (even with the drip pan). It gave me reassurance though; for if there were no oil drips, I knew something was wrong. If memory serves me correctly, there were 21 drip plugs around the front end. I used 90 grade gear oil in the reservior and pumped it 4 times every 200 miles and replaced the felt filter every 1,000 miles.

It was the last bastion of the old world and I enjoyed doing it.

There were also the tecalimut flat faced grease nipples in other areas where on earlier models (Silver Dawn, Mk V1, Silver Wraith), they too were lubricated by the one shot system.

When the Silver Cloud 11/S Series arrived this system disappeared forever.

Peter Colwell
Yet to post message
Username: peter_colwell

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, 31 March, 2005 - 05:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

<<flat>>

Early Caterpillar tractors also used the flat faced grease nipples. One of the quotes from the handbook, - which I still have, - has always stuck in my mind. It said simply; "an anti-friction bearing, properly lubricated with clean oil, - will last indefinitely"...

Thank you for the information
Peter