Techno Classica Essen 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Techno Classica Essen 2005 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Harry Kuurio
Experienced User
Username: harry_kuurio

Post Number: 19
Posted on Sunday, 20 March, 2005 - 08:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Gents and Ladys,

anyone attending this show? I am, and it would be nice to meet the fellow enthusiasts in person. I believe our make(s) are represented well once again, too.

RT, are you coming?

Anyone else?

DH

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 655
Posted on Sunday, 20 March, 2005 - 09:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

DH: Essen, maybe.

Essen is a bit of a drive from here though.

Who ever thought that Nokia is Japanese by the way ?

Perhaps it's just that I have spent over a year altogether in Helsinki and Hyvinkää of Kone fame.

RT.

Harry Kuurio
Experienced User

Post Number: 20
Posted on Thursday, 24 March, 2005 - 08:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

RT,

I've been told that most US citizens (at least used to) think that Nokia has to come from Japan since it's high-tech.

Small is the world. I live just 10kms north of Hyvinkää!

Will be attending Essen on the 7th April. We'll be doing a coverage of the show for the Finnish national TV network. Small camera crew.

DH

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 666
Posted on Thursday, 24 March, 2005 - 08:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hyvinkää! My Waterloo. Remember the VR Sr2 ? I lost my shirt on those locomotives. I visited and stayed over a 6-year period. We built the first ones completely there, and only finished the modifications to the rest, all at Hyvinkää just a few years ago.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 667
Posted on Thursday, 24 March, 2005 - 08:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

DH:

You may remember the press we had on blue wheels (Overheated, blue-discoloured and worn out new locomotive wheels in Winter due to the traction control working overtime for just a few thousands of kilometers on micro snow) ?. Every week I had to fly home on Finnair and be presented with a brochure extolling Blue Wings (for those unknowing, Blue Wings was the then in-flight Finnair magazine) !!

My wife wondered why I was stressed out by spending so much time in laid-back Finland.

RT.

Harry Kuurio
Experienced User

Post Number: 21
Posted on Sunday, 27 March, 2005 - 06:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

RT,

Well, that's Finland for you, surely. The conditions vary here in a big way. Winter is cold as Siberia and darker than Richie Blackmore's favourite colour; summers can be truly hot with constant (yes!) daylight (sun never goes down...).

My wife commutes with VR every day, and assures you and all that there's nothing laid-back travelling the Finnish trains - I mean, they are so laid-back that the travellers are set-up all the time. Time-tables are just for laugh!

Blue wheels? Come on, trains are for suckers! (No, truly I'm just jealous... eh...).

On a more serious note, when was it last you visited Hyvinkää? There seems to be an increasing chance we've met co-incidentally a few years ago!

Have you decided about Essen? Where is it you actually live, may I ask?

Best regards,

DH