Scale Models of Turbo R Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Scale Models of Turbo R « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gordon Norris
Frequent User
Username: crewes_missile

Post Number: 75
Posted on Tuesday, 15 March, 2005 - 16:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

As one of Crewe's most successful models, I find it amazing that there do not seem to be any scale models available of the Turbo R or RL. Plenty of Clouds, Spirits, Shadows, even a Bentley T by Corgi I believe, and of course a multitude of Arnages (R,T,&RL) and the new VW Continental, but I've never seen a Turbo R model....anyone have any info to the contrary?

GN.

Robert Wort
Grand Master
Username: robert_wort

Post Number: 141
Posted on Tuesday, 15 March, 2005 - 17:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Frustrating isn't it?
I'm looking for a scale model of a Silver Spur.
Wonder what the problem is?
Could they be the forgotten models?
Seems Franklin Mint did a Seraph so why not the last of the real ones?

Gordon Norris
Frequent User

Post Number: 76
Posted on Tuesday, 15 March, 2005 - 21:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sure is Robert. You're a man after my own heart. You like your cars, love RR/B's, hate BMW's, agree on all the "politically incorrect" bits about the travesty that these companies should fall into the hands of their WWII enemies, and you like models of your cars. I'll probably stir up trouble with those comments, but that's the way I feel and I know alot of people share my sentiments. But I digress...

My Turbo is an RL, so basically the Turbo R version of the Spur even down to the everflex roof and picnic tables...I even thought if I could find a Spur model, I could modify the headlights and front and rear valances, but as you say they don't seem to be about. Maybe the factory wouldn't allow licensing at the time they were popular for some reason, and now the model makers have moved on to the more recent models. Not fair!!

GN.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 637
Posted on Tuesday, 15 March, 2005 - 21:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well, Guys,

Mr D is at it all again, winding you both up under the name Zoobest T. Erchleimeicher of the USA on this topic. See Swammelstein for a laugh at him. He also posts as Chris, Charles etc.

We're well rid of him here.

RT.

http://www.swammelstein.nl/forum_frm.htm

See the posting:

Re: RR363 being discontinued soon?!?! Chris 15 Mar 2005

He never gives up. Pretty rude using Swammelstein as a proxy for RROC(A) replies, eh ?

Robert Wort
Grand Master

Post Number: 143
Posted on Tuesday, 15 March, 2005 - 22:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Richard, I saw it too and burst out laughing.
You may wish to revisit it to see my answer.

Hi Gordon, I suppose I am politically incorrect,but I suppose I get it from my old man who thankfully is a very healthy octenogenarian (Wow! What a word eh?)and fought them on D Day as a Royal Marine Commando. Don't misinterpret this though. I have worked with many Germans and have made some long-lasting friendships with them but my opinion still stands about the takeover. Vickers Management and the parent company should be hanged for high treason for what they did. Some thanks for saving England in the Battle of Britain eh?

Anyway, time to get off my high horse and back to the main subject.

Yes! I love collecting models of RR too, and I get a sense of devilish delight when a stranger comes to our home and sees them all. I then say to them, 'Come and see my favourite model" and then take them to the garage.

My wife Helen is crazy too! She collects pigs (Models of course and thankfully as we live in suburbia not a real one). It is then that I tell newcomers that her love for pigs is why she married me.

Gordon Norris
Frequent User

Post Number: 77
Posted on Wednesday, 16 March, 2005 - 07:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Robert,
Similar situation here. My Dad, now deceased, lost 3 brothers in the Battle of Britain and untold extended family. It's not a personal issue, I too have many German friends...but I know exactly what you mean.

As for collections, my wife and I have all sorts of stuff...I'm particularly proud/embarrassed of my Thunderbirds models and I have about 6 different models of Lady Penelopes RR, "FAB1".

They do say the difference between men and boys is simply the price of their toys!

GN.

Robert Wort
Grand Master

Post Number: 146
Posted on Wednesday, 16 March, 2005 - 09:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

FAB Indeed! That's one I don't have strangely.
As a kid I loved that series. Apparently, in the film remake, FAB 1 wasn't a Rolls-Royce. Maybe they couldn't get the rights off the new custodians. There actually was a real one built a few years ago and it is a pity I never kept the article with pix. It ran on Shadow mechanicals. Wonder if it still exists?

Gordon Norris
Frequent User

Post Number: 80
Posted on Thursday, 17 March, 2005 - 11:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

In the film remake, which was pleasingly a flop in that it leaves the "originals" as the definitive version, Lady P drives a futuristic...wait for it...FORD! Not even an Aston, or Jag (yeah, I know Ford owns them anyway).

In the original series they had various models in different scales, including two 1/3 scale FAB1's measuring 7 feet long! One recently sold at auction for an indecent sum..it was of the order of 180,000 but can't remember if that was GBP or US$...either way a tidy sum. Oh, and another bit of trivia, these large scale FAB1's were made out of marine plywood, lacquered with nitrocellulose!

I remember seeing the Shadow based replica somewhere, and do you recall ever seeing the home-made rolls based around an RR Merlin engine-the bonnet was about 10 feet long!

Imagine trying to get that registered today...

GN.

Robert Wort
Grand Master

Post Number: 155
Posted on Thursday, 17 March, 2005 - 11:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes, I do remember John Dodd's Merlin Powered car called the Beast. He was an auto transmission engineer and frequently travelled between Paris and Madrid (about 1,000 miles I believe) in a paltry 10 hours. Rolls-Royce finally jacked up and ordered him to remove the radiator grille.
It subsequently was destroyed by fire.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 645
Posted on Thursday, 17 March, 2005 - 22:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The Beast is well documented.

Remember, the German police approached Crewe, and demanded that they stop road testing their new model on the Autobahn. That was the first Crewe knew of The Beast. Germans in top-spec Porsches were angry at being left for dead by a Rolls-Royce.

Long before Bentley Turbos mind you.

Robert Wort
Grand Master

Post Number: 160
Posted on Thursday, 17 March, 2005 - 22:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Here's some more info I gleaned from Google.
application/mswordThe Beast
John Dodd.doc (63.5 k)

Gordon Norris
Frequent User

Post Number: 87
Posted on Saturday, 19 March, 2005 - 17:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Robert.
That's the beast all right..so it looks like he made 2 versions..we need more characters like Mr. Dodd in the world, if only to make us smile, if not inspire...

...bet she rocked on her springs at idle at the lights...

...and with 27 litres, who needs a turbo...

GN.

Robert Wort
Grand Master

Post Number: 162
Posted on Saturday, 19 March, 2005 - 22:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Gordon, you nearly scared me for a minute when I saw your name in the For Sale Column.
I've found a model of the Silver Spirit and the Mulsanne finally. If you visit the Carrington's website at this link www.darkforce.com/royce/ click on the Models section and search through, Viola! There they are. Doesn't give you the prices though.

I bet the Beast DID rock! In more ways than one.

Gordon Norris
Frequent User

Post Number: 91
Posted on Sunday, 20 March, 2005 - 10:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Robert,
I did see these before, but still no Spur or Turbo R dagnabbit! If you do send for anything from Carringtons, don't expect a reply real quick...they never, ever reply to any emails, (I've enquired about prices on various things in the past) and faxes take a couple of weeks at least to turn around. They may have improved since I last enquired about a year ago, but it was enough to put me off. I can't abide bad service and slow replies from businesses in this day and age of "instant" communications.

No Robert, neither me nor my car is for sale, although the former could change depending on the combined cost of upkeep on my cars, my wife, and my kids...in that order of priority of course!

Reminds me of another joke: "My wife made me a millionaire!
....before I met her I was a billionaire...."

GN.

Robert Wort
Grand Master

Post Number: 166
Posted on Sunday, 20 March, 2005 - 21:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes Gordon, Shame about the Spur and Turbo R not having models of them.

Terrible service by what you tell me. That puts me off for a start.

As for the other comments.

Tell me about it!