Shadow as a daily driver - tell me I'... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Shadow as a daily driver - tell me I'm wrong. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ben Curtis
Experienced User
Username: burgundyben

Post Number: 36
Posted on Saturday, 25 March, 2017 - 08:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'm watching the Silver Shadow adverts, I fancy a nice early car, or maybe a Corniche (as well as my 74 car). In the UK, I can enter the car's reg number and check the history of its annual inspection, our MOT.

The majority of the ones coming up for sale, have over the last ten years done less than 1000 miles per year.

Why?

Why not use it?

Can they not be used as a daily driver? Is it the fuel burn?

You'd need to do a lot of miles to burn the same money as depreciation on some German metal. Its not even as if modern cars don't throw up big bills, DMF, DPF, injection pumps...

I don't get it

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1350
Posted on Saturday, 25 March, 2017 - 09:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Its the perception that more miles means less value. Plus fuel costs are a regular expense where as depreciation is only realised when the vehicle is sold.

Modern cars can be horrendous money to repair. Esp diesels.

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 552
Posted on Saturday, 25 March, 2017 - 10:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Minor anecdotes of reliability aside, they are notoriously finnicky and the only hope for "daily driver" status is in the case where the owner has the dedicated knowledge and especially time to keep it serviced and repaired, before it needs to be used agian tomorrow to get to work...one definition of "daily driver".

There are likely still thousands on the registration rolls, but as you can see from this or any other owner forum, there are but a handful of dedicated owner/repairers. Not only is there the extreme cost of professional repair for every glitch, of which there is a seemingly endless stream, but the time loss and effort deciding and supervising and dropping of and retrieving the vehicle.

For the first few years, they were reliable and covered by warranty and owned by the very wealthy for which they were not the sole transportation and who probably did not care to muss themselves with tools, et cetera, anyway and who merely paid the bill without a thought and had their "people" take care of it.

Even here in the US it is the general rule to find low mileage (under 75,000 miles) vehicles where the seller touts that all the tens of thousands of dollars keeping the vehicle in tip top shape is a good thing...even to the extent of replaced transmission, engines, and all sorts of other things you would NOT have expected to fail within that mileage and where with a Toyota, you would expect to do that mileage and barely even have to open the bonnet!!

Once the vehicle hits the secondary market and the owners realize the costs of ownership and frequency of service rendering constant use impractical, they rapidly relegate the car to occasional use only status on the theory that if they do not use it, it will not break, but as we know, Rolls-Royce need to be serviced EVEN WHEN THEY ARE NOT BEING USED!!...completely counter-intuitive to what one would normally expect...i.e. that mechanical things break more often while used, rather than simply sitting there. That is it in a nutshell.

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 60
Posted on Saturday, 25 March, 2017 - 11:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

In my case I do approx. 4000 miles per year in my Silver Shadow. There are three reasons for my limited use 1) I don't like getting it wet and it rains a lot in my area, 2) The cost of fuel and 3) I have classic car insurance and the policy limits my driving to 4000 miles per annum. I would like to drive it more, have had no engine trouble whatsoever in 8 years of ownership but if anything I over-service it, did suffer some hydraulic issues which arose as a result of lack of use but I learned how to fix it with great assistance from this site. Overall I think it's a very reliable car but I do worry that something major and costly could go wrong. I'll have to spend a couple of grand this year on body repairs as rust is starting to attack the wheel arches but it's 40 years old so that's to be expected especially in the climate here. The more it's driven, however, the better it seem to go but there's only 65,000 miles on the clock now.

Brian Crump
Prolific User
Username: brian_crump

Post Number: 159
Posted on Saturday, 25 March, 2017 - 17:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I would suggest you can use a Shadow as a daily driver so long as any bugs have been sorted. I have a friend who uses one daily and it's done just on 350,000 kms with very few issues at all. I guess it all depends on what you start with in the first place and your patience/available expenditure to get problems sorted so the car is in top mechanical condition suitable to use regularly.
They are inherently simple and once brought to a certain standard, they are better used regularly than rarely.
Regards,
Brian

David Towers
Prolific User
Username: xtriple

Post Number: 122
Posted on Saturday, 25 March, 2017 - 20:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I started out using my B R as a daily, but soon gave up. Not because of fuel costs oddly but because of paranoia! I just got scared of people damaging it while parked up, plus I discovered just how expensive it is to really look after one of these cars, deferred servicing has cost me a fortune to correct.

Now that it spends most of its life in the garage, I am used to NOT using it. This is a state of affairs that must change!

Jeff Young
Grand Master
Username: jeyjey

Post Number: 327
Posted on Saturday, 25 March, 2017 - 21:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I tried using mine as a daily driver, but finally gave up. It only left me stranded twice (burst power steering hose and burst pipe on the rack), but I experienced way to many non-critical faults (rear window defrost, water temp fan cutout, A/C servo rod failure, A/C servo control board, fuel filler button, rear door lock, rear window switch, driver's window lift chain, fuel leaks, wipers, water pump leak, indicators, coolant warning amplifier, power steering cooler hose weeping, holed exhaust, speaker cone disintegration, door seal failure, ammeter shunt).

While spread over 5 years, it still got to the point where it felt like something was going wrong every trip.

Cheers,
Jeff.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 1285
Posted on Sunday, 26 March, 2017 - 06:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That's a bit of a list from hell Jeff.

Not much more left after repairing those items mate.

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 553
Posted on Sunday, 26 March, 2017 - 07:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeff Y...
...and how many miles/kilometers on the chassis? My bet is less than 75,000?

Brian C...
..."simple" ?!!? yes, compared to the space shuttle...as in, yes, "simply" a mile, more or less, of wires connecting uncountable gizmos, sensors, relays, and gee-gaws...yes, simple.

Mark Aldridge
Grand Master
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 415
Posted on Sunday, 26 March, 2017 - 08:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I used my Shadow as my daily driver for 11 years and regrettably pensioned it off to a weekend car after a body restoration following a 60 mph argument with a falling tree branch on the way home from work !
I have subsequently had a 1981 Spirit as my daily driver and currently have a 1983 Mulsanne.Looked after they are reliable and the overall cost including depreciation is no more than a new BMW or Merc. I would rather have the Crewe product ! My wife has a 1988 Bentley 8 as her car for the last 11 years after a series of old Mercedes.
Mark

Jeff Young
Grand Master

Post Number: 328
Posted on Sunday, 26 March, 2017 - 22:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Christian, it wasn't a particularly low mileage car, but wasn't really high either (106,000 miles).

I'm having much better luck with an 07 Arnage (which oddly enough at 26,000 miles has almost the exact same miles/year).

Cheers,
Jeff.

ross kowalski
Grand Master
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 332
Posted on Sunday, 26 March, 2017 - 23:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ben,

I think Christian is dead on with his definition which is "would you use it to drive to work".

For me the answer is no, mainly because where I live there is a lot of snow an a lot of salt. As soon as the first snow falls until three or so rains after the last snow falls, the RR along with all the cars I like do not see the road.

What am I driving as a daily driver for my 50 miles to work and back... 91 Jaguar Sovereign. There are 100 things on that particular hooptie that could leave me stranded. At least with the RR I could nurse it home no matter what with carbs and points ignition.

One year I daily drove an 83 Olds omega with a failed head gasket. So the answer is yes you certainly can drive anything daily. If your pleasure of driving the RR outweighs all the things mentioned above, drive it. If concern over the things listed above would make you so nervous as to miss out on the pleasure of driving the RR, purchase a second hand Olds Omega.

Patrick Francis
Frequent User
Username: jackpot

Post Number: 58
Posted on Monday, 27 March, 2017 - 02:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I think we have to recognise the difference between a "daily driver" and "only transport".

A daily driver that can be put to one side, until repaired, if she breaks down would sound logical, enjoyable and good for the car.

An "only transport" that you would have to depend on has the potential of stressing you beyond the limit.

"Use it, or lose it - but do not abuse it"

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1353
Posted on Monday, 27 March, 2017 - 05:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I use a Jeep as a DD which is now getting tatty I have put a bit of spit and elbow grease to it and Its good for another 2 years or so, main thing is the tyres are good.

Nowadays I only have one passenger and something like a Nissan Micra would do.

My Shadow is now 43 years old and 117k mechanically the car is good but I have tatty paint and a rusty rear centre bumper, expecting no problems is now asking too much. So I will always need a second car.

Jeff Cheng
Frequent User
Username: makeshift

Post Number: 75
Posted on Tuesday, 28 March, 2017 - 22:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

To me, 'daily driver' implies that it is your main car. The car that you drive to work, but also run errands after work and park on the street in the city if needed without a second thought. It's also the car you jump in when a family member 300 miles away needs urgent assistance.

I care too much about my RR to be a 'daily driver' in that sense. Sure, I'll take it to work a few times a week when the weather's right, but I work at the airport with secure parking, and by hours are flexible in that if I arrive late, I just stay late. And while I trust the RR to make a 300 mile trip with minimal fuss, I also wouldn't want to rely on it (if it can be avoided) for any emergency where any delay can be afforded.

You CAN daily drive a Shadow, but it's up to you (and your lifestyle) as to whether you WANT to, and the reasons are all valid.

Ben Curtis
Experienced User

Post Number: 38
Posted on Tuesday, 28 March, 2017 - 22:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Interesting set of opinions, I'm teetering on the edge of a Shadow 1 and a T1, fix one while driving the other.

The stupid gene is strong.

Jeff Young
Grand Master

Post Number: 332
Posted on Tuesday, 28 March, 2017 - 23:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Stupid or not, it sounds like fun. :-)

Cheers,
Jeff

keith pearson
New User
Username: dud_fivers

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, 29 November, 2017 - 04:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

We were once told , on the RR website in the UK, that we should never take our cars to MacDonalds or Colonel Sanders . Well, I do. I have taken a Spirit, a Brooklands and now in a Continental GT. Is such "vulgarity allowed in Australia?

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1367
Posted on Wednesday, 29 November, 2017 - 05:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I use my cars like normal cars and take them everywhere. even on bumpy roads and dirt tracks. I take them to the supermarkets, scrap yards, work, the beach...... everywhere. People love seeing them. And I love driving them.

Omar

keith pearson
New User
Username: dud_fivers

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, 29 November, 2017 - 06:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

good for you Omar. I also have 1 1953 lanchester I uses as much as I can. People love seeing them. The contrast between the Continental and the old lanchester is an amazing experience for me and any passengers.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1747
Posted on Wednesday, 29 November, 2017 - 06:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'm proud to say, I have taken the Shadow through every drive through there is.

McDonalds tastes better in the front seat of the Shadow.

However the daughter is now banned from having ice cream in the back seat.

Twice she has had it, and twice spilled/dropped.
Oh by the way, she was 20 at the times of these events!!!

Like Omar says, I too take the shadow shopping, the tip, the hardware and the beach.

Here is a pic just from last weekend at the beach.

Ben Curtis
Frequent User

Post Number: 83
Posted on Thursday, 30 November, 2017 - 19:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'd love one of the very early Shadows, 4 speed, chippy dash, picnic tables...but my toddler in his car seat would kick and smash the picnic table to pieces in a matter of seconds, a bit of ice cream mess wouldn't bother me.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1752
Posted on Friday, 01 December, 2017 - 08:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Ben,

My 2 x Grand Daughter's would do the same, their legs NEVER stop in the back of the car.

Nope,
The ice cream was all good.
More funny than anything.
The daughter actually banned herself from eating ice cream in the back of the Shadow, not me.

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 653
Posted on Monday, 04 December, 2017 - 01:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ben,
I'm with Omar. Driving the RR is a pleasure for you and those that get to see it out and about.

I think people are afraid of costs and damage, and reliability etc, but they are missing out on all the stories that you get from using the car.

Patrick R,

Does your car look that good in person? It looks immaculate in the pictures.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1755
Posted on Monday, 04 December, 2017 - 06:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross,
Thanks for that.

Its pretty good, it certainly isn't immaculate, but its a good 5ft car that's for sure.

Some other cars are 10-20 & 30ft cars.
You do need to be up close to see her faults.

She has won 2 most original car awards, and the "touring class" in our club.

But as the inside is completely original and untouched since 1972, she wont win any full on concours, but as a mechanic I am more than happy with the originality awards.

Yes,
I did spend 8 hours just detailing around the windows & their rubbers, same for inside each door pillar, inside the boot, under the car etc, but it is just a very original looking car, so plenty of blemishes when you get up close mate.

And as you know, the shine is courtesy of Mr Sheen LOL

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1756
Posted on Monday, 04 December, 2017 - 06:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross,
Check out my Christmas images in "Idler Chatter"

I'll post some more there from the day as well.

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 655
Posted on Monday, 04 December, 2017 - 09:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick R,

The Mr. Sheen worked. Seriously, it shows.

I'll check out the new images.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: