Door Handles Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Door Handles « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 740
Posted on Saturday, 25 February, 2017 - 05:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My newly bought Spirit has orgasmic door handles. Just the feel of the outside handle is perfect.

The door handles on a Camargue outside are just out of this world. You never get used to them. I think the were designed for drunken peers who just had to crawl to the car on hands and knees.

I also like the inside locking buttons. So very swanky. Or for our communist Chinese friends so berry wanky!

David Towers
Prolific User
Username: xtriple

Post Number: 108
Posted on Saturday, 25 February, 2017 - 09:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

What a strange man! :-) But I totally 'get it' as the door handles on mine take me by surprise every time I go to the car, they just feel so right - like after the nuclear holocaust there will be cockroaches, rodents and Rolls-Royce door handles. Everything else will be consigned to history.

ross kowalski
Grand Master
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 301
Posted on Saturday, 25 February, 2017 - 23:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David,

Don't forget the horn mounting brackets. On SRH8844 they are 3/16 or 1/4 plate. And if there was any chance of them breaking, it was eliminated by a welded on gusset.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1314
Posted on Sunday, 26 February, 2017 - 02:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A well appointed truck.

I like the feel of the switches so positive.

My Jeep when one pulls the headlight switch on the dashboard flexes and creaks absolute rubbish quality.

Jeff Cheng
Frequent User
Username: makeshift

Post Number: 74
Posted on Sunday, 26 February, 2017 - 21:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Funny you mention door handles, as I just rebuilt the door lock mechanisms in my daily driver; a 1999 Ford Fairlane.

They are now so smooth that the handle merely lifts and there is no hint at it being connected to a mechanical linkage. No click, no increase in resistance (then release) as it unlatches, just a smooth action from bottom to top and the door popping open.

Likewise, closing the door merely makes a 'fwoomp' sound of rubber seals compressing, and no clue of the door latching shut aside from being now flush with the bodywork.

Where was I going with this?

Well, I guess I adjusted my Ford's door mechs to be so smooth, that it would seem perfect to a 'non car person', perfectly smooth as if it were all magnets.

Is it better than my Shadow's heavy duty 'click-clack' of the latch opening and closing?
I think not, but there is still something satisfying about a well adjusted mechanism working to perfection.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 1169
Posted on Sunday, 26 February, 2017 - 22:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeff,

The Rolls Royce Shadow doors and handles, door locks and boot do remind me of older holdens from the 60's.
They were certainly different than Fords of the same age.
The Fords always required and effort to open and close them, where the Holdens were as you say, click clack.

The Spirit I looked at last week was indeed different that's for sure.

John Beech
Prolific User
Username: jbeech

Post Number: 212
Posted on Tuesday, 28 February, 2017 - 14:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hmmm, and here I thought the sound and feel of a Merc door closing was the very best of them all. That said, Vladimir is having an orgasm over the feel of the exterior handle, not the closing action. And Robert Noel, that Jeep cost less than 1/10 that of a Roller, so it's hardly fair.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 1174
Posted on Tuesday, 28 February, 2017 - 19:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gents,
There is nothing better than any Goodwood (Phantom, Ghost, Wraith or Dawn) car door auto closing and then the mechanism pulling it tightly shut.
Oooohhhhh yeeeaaaahhhhh!!!

https://youtu.be/PJOL__OmuJc

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: