Today in Sydney NSW Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Today in Sydney NSW « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 1057
Posted on Saturday, 11 February, 2017 - 20:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Still over 45 now

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2424
Posted on Sunday, 12 February, 2017 - 08:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

Penrith certainly copped the heat yesterday - Taree only got to 42deg C and Old Bar was about 5deg cooler thanks to a sea breeze. Last night some local idiots decided to have a fireworks fiesta despite the absolute fire ban currently in place; I am certain the phones to the Police and RFS [Rural Fire Service] were running hot with complaints. Absolute stupidity and ignorance....

Today looks being worse and I live in hope of the sea breeze coming in to provide some relief however the extreme fire situation is of greater concern as we only have one road from Taree through the bush into the village and thanks to the NPWS [National Parks and Wildlife Service], our 4WD beach escape access to Diamond Beach south of Old Bar has been blocked with a locked gate despite past undertakings this access would remain open after the Saltwater Reserve responsibility was transferred from the local Council to the NPWS. A masterpiece of logical thinking by bureaucrats with a history of past wrong decisions.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1596
Posted on Sunday, 12 February, 2017 - 10:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Do Australian houses have built in air-con as standard, like in the US?

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 710
Posted on Sunday, 12 February, 2017 - 10:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Last night a friend called from Toowoomba saying it was 38c at 9pm ! Bloody Toowoomba up upon a mountain. Quite normal in Bowen today 18C in the Pano whilst I perform my Spur Hunt. No idea why NSW is coping it but yes fireworks at catastrophic heat wave time definitely warrants a good punch in the head David. I would not even raise my voice to the fools, it would just be CRACK! No need to bother the authorities.

Mark Taxis
Prolific User
Username: mark_taxis

Post Number: 126
Posted on Sunday, 12 February, 2017 - 11:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Geoff
Most new houses seem to be fitted with a/c mainly due to the fact that the designs are so awful that you cannot exist without it, seems the early settlers got it right with wide verandas and houses positioned correctly.
Having said that our house is not air-conditioned, we have ceiling fans and good insulation which means the house stays cool up until about 4 pm when it reaches outside temperature, when this happens we open all doors and windows

ross kowalski
Prolific User
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 276
Posted on Sunday, 12 February, 2017 - 11:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

In New England USA it is a little cooler.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1063
Posted on Sunday, 12 February, 2017 - 11:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes guys a shocker of a week.

Love the Shadow hiding in the snow Ross.

David Gore

Post Number: 2426
Posted on Sunday, 12 February, 2017 - 13:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Stop Press

Temperature in Taree NSW at 1.43pm was 45.6deg C [114deg Fahrenheit], relative humidity 10% and wind 30Km/hr gusting to 50Km/hr from the west.

Very, very dangerous bush fire conditions right now with some small fires in the area. Major problem will be if the forecast southerly wind change hits late this afternoon/early evening and the current fires breach containment lines.

The RFS are doing a good job and are prepared for any eventuality.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1066
Posted on Sunday, 12 February, 2017 - 15:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Be careful David.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1597
Posted on Sunday, 12 February, 2017 - 15:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Mark

Thanks for your reply. I had always wondered. It sounds the same as in the US, new houses having a/c as standard and older ones without, or retro-fitted.

Ross - I don't think a lot of our UK and Australian readers quite understand New England temperatures. I certainly didn't until I lived in Ohio, which is a little farther south than New England. The winter there was brutally cold and long. Some weeks the temperature barely crept above freezing. A lot of the time it was 0F. You have to live it to fully understand just what a cold winter really is. It is tough. I guess I'm talking personally here. I know many people enjoy winter. I'm too soft to be one of them. On another thread, my jaw dropped when I read Christian was moving to Montana. I guess it's a gift if you like the cold as the North of the US has such spectacular scenery.

David - worrying times - here's hoping it all turns out ok.

Geoff

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1069
Posted on Sunday, 12 February, 2017 - 16:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gents,

I would trade this heat anytime for a nice cold winter.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1070
Posted on Sunday, 12 February, 2017 - 16:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Our local news is showing a total of 82 fires are happening across NSW.

Mark Taxis
Prolific User
Username: mark_taxis

Post Number: 128
Posted on Sunday, 12 February, 2017 - 16:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Agree with you Patrick, it reached 40 C and 60% humidity here today - disgusting ,looking forward to a cool change.
Hope the fires stay contained so far OK here in Qld

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1072
Posted on Sunday, 12 February, 2017 - 17:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes Mark,

I saw the QLD temps in the news.

Not good mate.

Kevin Deasy
New User
Username: kevin1946

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, 12 February, 2017 - 17:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vladimir,
I saw an add In Ireland a few weeks ago for a 1996 Spur,it had the wood finished door cards,the guy first advertised it for 18,000 € a year ago & his last add was for 13,000€,there are some tax allowance's for exporting some cars of 25% of its value (3000/5000€) if exported by a tax compliant person who has it registered in their name.@ 8,000 /9000 + shipping it The tax is paid to the owner of the car 28 days from exporting it,this would be a cheap car if it is not sold.it is dark blue & beige leather & 2 sets of wheels ( 1 set with winter tyres)

Nick Adlam
Frequent User
Username: crewes_control

Post Number: 90
Posted on Sunday, 12 February, 2017 - 20:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'm staying at Mum's in Nambucca Heads and can tell you the Southerly change that David mentioned has well and truly kicked in. What struck me was it's sudden ferocity- within 2-3 minutes it just happened and is now really howling outside. We dodged a 45 bullet- Nambucca only copped low-mid 30s today, amazing, especially when Port Macquarie scorched in 46deg!.
The firey's are doing a great job- a real credit to those blokes.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1075
Posted on Monday, 13 February, 2017 - 06:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Your spot on Nick,

The RFS is an amazing group of people, and don't get all the credit they should, that is for sure.

John Beech
Prolific User
Username: jbeech

Post Number: 192
Posted on Monday, 13 February, 2017 - 10:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

In FL we suffer a lot of humidity, which makes it a very sticky place to live. Basically, from late April to late October is a sticky mess. During this time temps rarely exceed 95°F and are worst during the July-August time frame. Before and after that we're in the upper 80s and low 90s, with nights going into the low 80s, upper 70s. During winter, now for us in the northern hemisphere, we've had a week of 50s but have mostly seen mid-60s and right now we're seeing upper 70s (with the odd excursion to 81°F the other day). Frankly, it's been a warm winter with several warmest day of the year records toppling. The flip side of snow is the grass needs mowing. Once the night times break out of the 60°F consistently the grass grows with a vengeance. Around here it usually starts in late March, or maybe early April and grows like crazy until late October. I hate mowing, but the thought of shoveling snow is even less attractive. I've worn short pants all 'winter' this year excepting a few day in December when it was in the mid to upper 40s. Pity Brian in VA where the arctic blast has meant ice this year (and Richmond is hilly terrain, which make sit dangerous. And friend Ross is in OK where it's flat, offers little in the way of trees to slow down the winds, and where it gets bitterly cold some days. As for those hardy souls in New England, they should have their heads examined.

ross kowalski
Prolific User
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 279
Posted on Monday, 13 February, 2017 - 11:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff,

Ohio is worse than Massachusetts by a large degree. We get snow, sometimes lots in a short period of time, but never a week of 0F.

John,

Pants, you know it's cold out. I was driving the Jaguar with boots on and it became clear they never intended for that with the size and spacing of the pedals. In case summer tires, no traction, no ABS, and RWD weren't fun enough every time you brake it is a heel toe throttle event. Nice.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1600
Posted on Monday, 13 February, 2017 - 12:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi John

Ross is in New England. I'm in OK. I've been pleasantly surprised with the winter here in Tulsa. I was expecting worse, but in fact it is similar to an English winter only much shorter. Yesterday was an unusual high of 81F. It drops to 45 midweek but by next weekend back to the low 70's. I'm hoping these higher temperatures are the harbingers of Spring.

As for the winds, they are really interesting. You often hear a whistling noise around the houses, like mini whirlwinds. When we first moved here we experienced a tornado. The sky turned black, torrential rain with lightning, then the whirlwind, followed by hail. It took down the garden fence at the rear of the house and a section of the side fence. All this with the tornado sirens wailing. Tornadoes are graded like hurricanes. This one was a weak F1 storm. I wouldn't want to see an F5.

That completes it. I've experienced hurricanes in Tampa, an earthquake (5.2) in San Jose, wildfires in NV, a polar vortex in OH and a tornado in OK. The only box left to tick is a volcano. The US is certainly a really interesting country.

Geoff

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1601
Posted on Monday, 13 February, 2017 - 12:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Ross

What I meant was 0f was often the overnight temperature and that there were weeks when the temperature barely got above freezing (32F). I was in Cleveland through the winter of 2013. There was a polar vortex that year that made it a particularly bad winter. Cleveland is on the shores of Lake Erie and subject to lake effect snow. We were often deluged by it. I can accept that Massachusetts is much more hospitable.

Geoff

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 513
Posted on Monday, 13 February, 2017 - 13:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Montana for six months:

View from front porch of hunting lodge - early Fall

Montana the rest of the time:

Montana in the Winter

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1602
Posted on Monday, 13 February, 2017 - 13:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Christian

Lol

What is your reason for moving?

Geoff

Chris Gillings
Prolific User
Username: chrisg

Post Number: 104
Posted on Monday, 13 February, 2017 - 13:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Most humans don't live in the very few countries of the world that persist with Fahrenheit to measure temperature. Thus it would help to provide Celsius values so we can appreciate the temperature extremes you appear to be describing.

David Gore

Post Number: 2427
Posted on Monday, 13 February, 2017 - 14:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Update from the NSW mid-north coast - we managed to get through yesterday without any serious problems although a fire bug was arrested at Nabiac south of where I live after starting two fires. He was reported to the police after starting the first fire and he was caught in the act lighting the second fire.

The worst part of this incident was he had two young children with him at the time and was a past volunteer fire fighter with our Rural Fire Service .

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/man-lit-bushfires-with-young-children-in-the-car-police-allege-20170213-gubfzu.html

To convert temperatures between Celsius and Fahrenheit, the following link is useful:

http://www.mathsisfun.com/temperature-conversion.html

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1078
Posted on Monday, 13 February, 2017 - 18:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Here you go Chris.

I needed to keep converting as well

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 515
Posted on Monday, 13 February, 2017 - 19:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

There is hot and then there is HOT. I respectfully note that Omar is being quite the Gentleman by not chiming in with "oneupmanship" along the lines of what hot REALLY is. The fact that he has noted in other threads that he does not drive his utterly fabulous fleet in the Dubai summer says it all in terms of "what hot is"!

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1077
Posted on Tuesday, 14 February, 2017 - 02:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hahahahahaha thumbs up to you Christian.

We just deal with it here mate - there is nothing else we can do. We are so well geared up for coping with high ambients that life just goes on. Everything is air conditioned and most places have double if not triple redundancies for cooling. Only cars that are less than 10 years old make up 95% of the population that get used in the summer.
Heat exhaustion and death is not unusual every year. The occasional sad story about children being left in cars to carry on sleeping and pets being locked in cars to keep them safe reult in catastrophes beyond comprehension. Yet we see it year after year. We rarely do work outside wearing skimpy clothes (shorts and vests) we always wear full length clothes - ironically to stay cool. clothes that cover your body cool you by virtue of sweat acting as a coolant. we also wear things on our heads that we soak with water to keep our heads cool. We live with heat rather than fight it.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1294
Posted on Tuesday, 14 February, 2017 - 04:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bournemouth is 12c which is tee shirt and jumper weather. Night time 6c.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1079
Posted on Tuesday, 14 February, 2017 - 06:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Great insight there Omar.

What is the highest temp you and your family have endured?

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1080
Posted on Tuesday, 14 February, 2017 - 14:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Patrick,
this is a tricky question because nowadays people measure temperature using the displayed digits on their car dashboard. In reality those temperatures are not accurate as the car itself acts as a heat sink. I have seen temperature figures up to 55 Degrees Celsius - but as you know temperature alone is not a suitable indicator of discomfort - you also need to know the humidity levels. We often run at 80% and higher levels of humidity in the summer. This makes it horrible and uncomfortable. Many people dont realise how dangerous the heat can be until it is too late for them. We are aware of the dangers of heat stress and heatsroke and therefore do all we can to avoid being exposed to these hazards.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1085
Posted on Tuesday, 14 February, 2017 - 15:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Omar,

You are spot on.

The 51 degC on my car was higher than the reported temp which in fact was 45.

But still a bloody hot day none the less.
I'm not sure what the humidity was on the day, but was up there a bit.

Stay cool mate.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: