New Spirit found on eBay today Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » New Spirit found on eBay today « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 1050
Posted on Friday, 10 February, 2017 - 11:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ROLLS-ROYCE-SLIVER-SPIRIT-1988-/272550779016?hash=item3f754ad888:g:MmcAAOSwA3dYm7p9

They also have this, which looks not bad.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Bentley-T1-1974-/272545066228?hash=item3f74f3acf4:g:WcwAAOSwo4pYdrCF

These are not far from me, so happy to check them out if anyone is interested in them.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2421
Posted on Friday, 10 February, 2017 - 13:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

Just a "heads up" - the seller is the same in both cases [cc00666]:

a) the Silver Spirit listing has a dealer number shown [061168]. I could not find this dealer number on the NSW Public Register for Motor dealers.

b) the Bentley T1 listing does not have the dealer number and claims to be a private sale - note it is on Club Plates.

As I am away from my files, I cannot check whether the issuing Club is RROC[Aust] or another Club.

Caveat Emptor might be appropriate......

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1051
Posted on Friday, 10 February, 2017 - 13:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David,

Yes I found the pair when you hit "sellers other items" .

Just letting people know that they are close to me if anyone wants an eye ran over them.

I've been working in Trucks & sales for many years now, I can handle a used car salesman

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1052
Posted on Friday, 10 February, 2017 - 13:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This is new as well.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1976-Rolls-Royce-Silver-Shadow-/182450304179?hash=item2a7ae2b4b3:g:6lAAAOSw4CFYnSui

Jeff Young
Grand Master
Username: jeyjey

Post Number: 303
Posted on Friday, 10 February, 2017 - 21:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Patrick,

That T1 is lovely.

I also really like the subtlety of the Spirit's interior, but the same colours on the exterior come across a bit weak. A Peacock / Shell Grey exterior with that interior would have been stunning.

Hmm.... eBay helpfully informs me that the seller "May not post to Ireland." Indeed.

Cheers,
Jeff.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1055
Posted on Saturday, 11 February, 2017 - 16:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Jeff.
Yes I don't mind the car at all.
You are 100% correct the peacock would have really set it off.

I'm a bit of a sucker for nice blues mate.
However reds and burgundys are nice to.
This was the first Shadow I looked at many years ago.
I wish I had bought it, as it ran, drove and stopped well.
I just didn't know enough about these cars at the time
It was 30 mins from where I live and went for $4,600 on eBay

I'd like to see the postman deliver that one Jeff, bubble wrapped and all. Lol. Thanks eBay.

Jeff Young
Grand Master
Username: jeyjey

Post Number: 305
Posted on Saturday, 11 February, 2017 - 20:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Now that's a proper two-tone paint job! Lovely.

Cheers,
Jeff.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1059
Posted on Saturday, 11 February, 2017 - 21:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Knowing what I do now Jeff.

I wish I had bought it.

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 706
Posted on Saturday, 11 February, 2017 - 21:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick would be great if you would look at that Spirit for me.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1060
Posted on Saturday, 11 February, 2017 - 22:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Vlad,

I will call him tomorrow and find out when it can be viewed.

Grand Master

Post Number: 707
Posted on Saturday, 11 February, 2017 - 22:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Patrick, I doubt he has the entire documented service history of the vehicle so go forth with flashlight and dental mirror for the weep holes in the block to start with and if you can't get him to put the car up on a hoist to look at it, then don't proceed. Thanks muchly.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1290
Posted on Sunday, 12 February, 2017 - 02:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

go for a 100 mile drive for fun and see how it stacks up.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1062
Posted on Sunday, 12 February, 2017 - 05:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I might not come back if it is really nice

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1077
Posted on Monday, 13 February, 2017 - 13:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vlad,

I have made some arrangements to catch up with this seller on Thursday or Friday.
Unfortunately I have to travel to Brisbane before then, so I will try for Thursday.

Grand Master

Post Number: 715
Posted on Monday, 13 February, 2017 - 19:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That's okay Patrick I appreciate any effort you can make. Poor dealer has not got one bid on 22k in five days so perhaps it will still be there when you get back to Sydney town. Vlad

Grand Master

Post Number: 731
Posted on Thursday, 23 February, 2017 - 06:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

And so Patrick nothing happened the car sold and you did not get to look at the car ?

David Gore

Post Number: 2445
Posted on Thursday, 23 February, 2017 - 07:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vladimir has just had a problem posting on the forum and has asked me to post the following submission on his behalf:

"So I took two days off work and travelled approximately 2400 kilometres by car bus and train to see this car touted extensively by the vendor as a good reliable rust free car.

I should point out that this guy does not like forums because he thinks you are all a bunch of knockers. That should have been an alarm bell right there which should have caused me to cross him off my list.

So I arrive in a small southern Queensland town with bank approval to purchase. The white Spur looks bloody nice from about 20 feet away but as I get closer and put all emotions aside this car goes from being a beautiful car to being a pog. (Cross between a pig and a dog)

Closer inspection reveals a most ghastly paint job. Orange peel every where and a very tacky, cover the rust in the sills job. Black and thick over whatever was lurking inside in sills.

The inside of the car was nice until I started to look at it. The woodwork especially on the door caps was badly cracked under the clear coating, and the leather was cracked deeply too.

The bottom glove box lid appeared to be held shut by paperclips available at any newsagent.

The exhaust was bloody loud and bumping on the underneath of the car.

The good chap selling it had his own hoist and lifted the car up for me. I came out with a small torch and under one minute told him that there was no way I would be buying his car.

The engine block weep holes were leaking. Very hard to tell whether it was oil or coolant or a mixture of both but all of them were leaking. Now that to me given what has appeared on the forum is a bloody good sign that the liner seals are shot and the engine needs a full pull down ie liners out and also its an indication the block is corroded and the liners are about to start seizing the pistons.

Marvellously, this guy gets on the phone to his RR guy who says basically, nothing to worry about.

That aside the transmission is leaking from just about everywhere.

The ball joints are marvellous. The rubber seals are broken and they look as dry as a desert.

There is mineral oil coming from the drivers side rear shocky/leveller and the rubbers at the bottom of the unit are perished and split.

A nice added touch are the large dents in the underbody showing clear evidence the the car has been lifted in the wrong place. Yes nice big dents !

The car reeked money pit !!!!!!!!!!!
The vendor appeared a bit slimey at first but by the time I got away from him he appeared to be able to slither professionally.

The guy was full of "I think you are missing out on a very reliable good car here.........blah blah"

Moral of the story: Forget the photos on the net or sent by email. They are useless. A car can appear to be bloody nice in the photos and a horror story in reality.

Never trust a single syllable uttered by a vendor - luxury salesman or not. In the RR/B used car world BS rules rampantly.

I did not even bother to ask this guy if he still had the original speedo from the car which he said had to be replaced at 100000 miles or to see the bungle of repair receipts which ranged from $50,000 to $37,000 etc depending of which day he was remembering what documents he had.

Lastly never buy a car site unseen. He wanted $25,000 for the car. It was according to him a Japanese import hence the early fuel injection. Just how this car got registered in Queensland without a modification plate to state it complied with Australian Design Rules is and remains a total mystery to me. But that does effect the price here. Australian delivered cars command the top prices.

Is there such a thing as a Spur in good condition in Australia for sale right now ? I doubt it. I would say that after 30 plus years they are all likely to be all mutton dressed up viciously as lamb."

Enough said - buying a car without checkable provenance is always a disaster looking for somewhere to happen IMHO. A similar experience to mine when I checked a car in Sydney on Vladimir's behalf some time back.

gary webb
Experienced User
Username: webbgw

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, 23 February, 2017 - 08:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

hi david
stay away ex rally car endeavour google roll royce rally cars it was yellow
he has another blue one speedo not correct
gary

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1144
Posted on Thursday, 23 February, 2017 - 09:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Im going to look at it today Vlad.

Ive been back and forth to Brisbane with work mate.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1146
Posted on Thursday, 23 February, 2017 - 13:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vlad,
Went & met Charles today who is selling this car on consignment.
Charles is a real nice guy and a gentleman.
Just gave me the keys, and said let me know when I can help you.

I spent about 40 minutes checking the car, then went for about a 15 minute drive.

Vlad,
This is a lovely car, with bugger all k's on it. Its almost like no one has sat in the back.

A couple of issues:
1 broken vent drivers side scuttle
Passenger side front bumper dropped (see image)
Passenger side rear door lock not working electrically.

Cooper tyres fitted to steer with 80% life left
Good Year Eagles fitted to rear with 80% life left.
May require a wheel alignment (slight pull to left)

The car is registered until August 2017

Drives very well,
A/C is very cold and works the way it should
Suspension sounds and feels great
Steering feels nice, steers great and no noises from under the car or hydraulics
Brakes are very powerful and pulls up straight
All seat and dash controls all work as they should.

All timberwork is almost perfect & no money to be spent here.

All carpets and underlay are as new
Boot & carpet & boot lining is 9.5/10 if I had to rate it.

Car starts easily
Oil looks great
No blow by
No smoky exhaust

No oil leaks that I could see and floors and sills all look great.

Best I can do without a hoist.

Id buy it if I was looking for a Spirit.

A lot of car for the $

Here is an invoice for nearly $5k spent on the car in October 2016

Gauges after the drive and car hot.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1629
Posted on Thursday, 23 February, 2017 - 15:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Patrick

What a fabulous review. I once paid $160 for a car evaluation and I found it just did not convey anything about the car. It had all the boxes - poor, good, very good, etc but I had problems relating to what (say) good meant. How good is good. If the report had come back with all the "excellent" boxes ticked it would have been ok, but since a lot of boxes were just ticked "good" I could not make an informed decision. I would much rather have had a more subjective report, like the one you have written above.

One thing you did forget to put in is a disclaimer. If Vladimir does have problems with the car you don't want him and the Russian Mafia paying you a visit. (I'm only joking).

One thing that was slightly nostalgic for me was seeing the Evans Halshaw badge. I used to live just 15 miles from them when I lived in the UK.

Geoff

Grand Master

Post Number: 734
Posted on Thursday, 23 February, 2017 - 17:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff there is nothing wrong about Russian mafia. There is no such thing as Russian mafia. It does not exist at all. However, in ghost of Soviet Union there are 2000 families open for business. So like Patrick, I will pay $20,000 for car after you look underneath. If you need loot to use hoist ask. And send me salesmen number. Spaceeba Bolshoi Vladimir.PS vendor needs NSW roadworthy for bank johnny,ta

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1147
Posted on Thursday, 23 February, 2017 - 18:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vlad,

He told me the vendor will not accept anything under $30k.

He has it advertised elsewhere for $38k

Charles number is:
0422 255 222

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1148
Posted on Thursday, 23 February, 2017 - 18:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Geoff,

I've litterelly done thousands of appraisals on trucks & cars.

You get good and quick at it after 38 years mate

Grand Master

Post Number: 735
Posted on Thursday, 23 February, 2017 - 18:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well Patrick I can pay 30k. But, has it been lifted is it Oz delivered and oh did any body notice the colour scheme which is bloodyawful. By the way not a bite on eBay for an entire week at 22k. Actually Patrick if it was a gem, Charles should have had it up on the nearest hoist for you to look at quick bloody smart. Anyway Pat, ta muchly send me your bill by pm. Vlad

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1150
Posted on Thursday, 23 February, 2017 - 20:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vlad,
No bill mate.

Ring and talk to Charles and ask your questions.
It's an English delivery car.

If you want to go further I will be happy to meet him somewhere with a hoist.
Not a problem.

Grand Master

Post Number: 736
Posted on Friday, 24 February, 2017 - 11:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks heaps Patrick. But I will leave this car for somebody else.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1155
Posted on Friday, 24 February, 2017 - 11:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Not a worry mate.

I enjoyed looking at it.

A nice car.

Grand Master

Post Number: 737
Posted on Saturday, 25 February, 2017 - 03:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar will be pleased. Just bought a purple Spirit for $20,000 less Patrick. Appears to have been ordered by a well known Royal family in UK.

Zero almost rust.

The paint well you don't really look at it - as you fall into it.

Okay, you really fall into it.

No doubt Mr Yorke is already licking his lips over the fact I have $20,000 grand to spend in parts.

Converted to LPG solely but the carbs are in place and my guess the gaskets are stuffed.

Brakes are shot, mineral oil dripping out of calipers.

But get this, all block weep holes are DRY.

If its not worth the $10,000 I spent buying it then I am a Chinaman.

The seller just threw it at me to get away from the loon dreamers that requested crazy info etc.

Yes I said that's why I only buy I never sell.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1111
Posted on Saturday, 25 February, 2017 - 05:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Congrats Vlad.
Yes Purple is a very pleasing colour for us garish folk. Why do you do this to us Vlad? tempt us with morsels of information but keep us hungry by showing us no photos? The whole platoon of RRAU forum members have been poised waiting for the Kirillov wagon to be declared.....
Photos Vlad!!! Preferably of the Patrick Ryan standard....

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1630
Posted on Saturday, 25 February, 2017 - 05:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I second Omar's request. It's always interesting to see pics of our cars. We are not expecting concours here, for 10k, but from what Vladimir has said this sounds like a really viable Spirit. Purple? - that's an interesting colour. We should upgrade our request (for pics) to a demand.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1159
Posted on Saturday, 25 February, 2017 - 06:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yep,
Email me the pics Vlad or a link to where it was advertised and I will post the pics for you.

Grand Master

Post Number: 741
Posted on Saturday, 25 February, 2017 - 08:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick please goto Gumtree scroll down to Sprit in Townsville and nick the pics as I am yet to learn links or photo posting. The photos make it look Bbbblack! And the photos do not capture the magnificence of this rolling piece of Crewe art at all. Now I am thinking of CCCP for the plates so to look not noticed. Ho bloody ho. Now Patrick send me the name of your favourite poison.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1631
Posted on Saturday, 25 February, 2017 - 08:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Vladimir

Is this the car? Looks great.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/north-ward/cars-vans-utes/1984-rolls-royce-silver-sedan/1135474643

Grand Master

Post Number: 742
Posted on Saturday, 25 February, 2017 - 08:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That's it Geoff !

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 710
Posted on Saturday, 25 February, 2017 - 09:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Looks like a really nice car Vladimir enjoy it Mate.

Richard.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1162
Posted on Saturday, 25 February, 2017 - 13:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

For $10k it's awesome

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1633
Posted on Saturday, 25 February, 2017 - 14:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I've just re-checked and the ad is now in the process of being removed.

Here are a couple of pics:

p1

p2

There were some other pics of the interior which I did not download. Suffice to say the interior is excellent also.

This is a great buy for Vladimir as the problems he outlined are things he will be able to fix relatively cheaply. My only question to Vladimir is " did you really get to bargain the price down to $10k - it was listed as 20k.

Grand Master

Post Number: 743
Posted on Saturday, 25 February, 2017 - 14:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Actually Geoff the price was at $22500, then dropped to $20000 so when I asked him what he wanted for it he said give me $10000 and its yours because I can no longer deal with the mountains of phukwits calling me and asking me stupid questions and requesting this and that.

Naturally I hit the gas pedal like a lunatic and headed at high speed like a drugged up crazy two hours north. When I saw the car in person I almost did a back flip. He had it up on the hoist so I went over it and into it dick nasty like a Mig jet in Grozny.

Deals like this are rare so I bought it quick sticks.

He is a professional car restorer. One client had just spent $40000 flowing gloss black on to a 65 Impala. But that's nothing he said look at this and he ripped the cover off a 70s Datsun that had a huge LS1 V8 supercharger running nitro. I'll start it up he said. I stood back 20 feet and like wow this thing was hurting my ears at idle. He revved it up and the bark was insane.

Mind you his young kiddies were there with his wife with me and they seemed used to his antics.

Afterwards he commented that the nitro he was using burns the crap out his eyes!! All this in a confined area mind you. Yep pretty insane but have you ever met a sane spray painter?

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1113
Posted on Saturday, 25 February, 2017 - 14:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Vlad,
what a lovely car!!
congratulations mate. A lovely car at a great price. And the colour..... it is only just purple!!perhaps we will call it black....
enjoy this car it looks amazing mate.

Omar

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1634
Posted on Saturday, 25 February, 2017 - 15:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

An absolute bargain Vladimir - congratulations.

Mark Taxis
Prolific User
Username: mark_taxis

Post Number: 132
Posted on Saturday, 25 February, 2017 - 16:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Looks great, bargain of the century

David Gore

Post Number: 2451
Posted on Saturday, 25 February, 2017 - 17:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

"Everything comes to those who wait"

Vladimir, this car obviously had your name on it unlike the money pits we looked at previously.

Go to it mate - just fit some good long range LED off-road driving lights to minimise night time encounters.....

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: