Technical Topics-Praeclarum Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Technical Topics-Praeclarum « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Wort
Grand Master
Username: robert_wort

Post Number: 111
Posted on Thursday, 17 February, 2005 - 15:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bill C. What an excellent inclusion you have placed in Praeclarum (page 4451). And what a magnificent piece of machinery too! Congratulations to Stephe Boddice on what must have been a mammoth task in restoring 3CP196.
I notice that a new block was manufactured owing to the corrosion of the old one. Was this new block manufactured in your locality and by whom?

This would be an interesting story in itself.

Well done!

Bill Coburn
Grand Master
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 334
Posted on Thursday, 17 February, 2005 - 21:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you Robert. I am sure the second block was not manufactured post production. It would probably be easier to rebuild the Taj Mahal. As you will have guessed the quest for another used block was successful. By now you will have heard that blocks for 'S' series cars with vee eight engines are now no longer available so anyone with a cracked/corroded block will have to do what Stephe did - find a replacement. It is a worry. I have an S2. The engine has sat on the floor for five years. I have yet to summon the courage to look inside.

Robert Wort
Prolific User

Post Number: 110
Posted on Thursday, 17 February, 2005 - 21:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Bill,
Was the replacement genuine R-R or was it from something else? It would be the devil surely to find a V12 block of P111 dimensions. And of course, where did he find it?

Stephe Boddice
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 84.66.69.182
Posted on Friday, 18 February, 2005 - 07:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi there, Robert and Bill.

As the saying goes "it's not what you know but who...". I just happened to know somebody who had visited a car breaker and had noticed 2 (yes - two) PIII engine blocks lying in the back of his warehouse. The one block was reasonable but repaired whereas the one I bought was in good condition, having been stripped, cleaned and pressure-tested as A1. Lucky, or what?

Stephe Boddice
3CP196
www.boddice.co.uk

(Message approved by david_gore)

Robert Wort
Grand Master

Post Number: 115
Posted on Saturday, 19 February, 2005 - 20:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Stephe,
Luck's not the word for it.
That was extremely fortuitous and I'm sure we are all grateful that it got into the right hands.