Market values Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Market values « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Dare
Grand Master
Username: jgdare

Post Number: 184
Posted on Saturday, 12 February, 2005 - 20:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A current edition of a major U.K motoring magazine lists some recent U.K auction results. A photograph appeared, depicting a reasonable, "decent" looking 1972 Shadow, described as having "average" paintwork, but good interior; wood/leather etc. Sold for just UNDER 2600 pounds which seems to indicate an alarming trend, however my U.K friends hasten to assure me that GOOD cars will continue to fetch "good" (?)prices. It would therefore appear (hopefully!) that the principle of "supply" (of GOOD cars!) and demand (discerning buyers) continues to rule. MORAL?... Look after YOUR car as if it is the ONLY one remaining!

John Dare
Grand Master

Post Number: 194
Posted on Thursday, 17 February, 2005 - 16:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Current edition of "Praeclarum" lists some nice (restored) Mk6s for sale, circa $36K, and dare I suggest, probably good value at such realistic and fair prices. Compare to an advert. in the local mag. "Just Cars" (March issue; at p144) were some U.S car importer (He's a "Chevvy" and "Ford" man, he is!) asking $24K for a Mk6 (B178H) UNRESTORED. He blurbs.. " very little rust" (that he can "SEE"?) "runs and drives" (it can actually MOVE!) "RHD car with books" (What.. a complete service record for the past 55 years?) "make fantastic hire car when restored" (if you havent gone broke in the meantime!) and last, but not least, "Texas car" ( Howdy Y'aLL!) As P.J Barnum said "there's one born every minute!"

Gordon Norris
New User
Username: crewes_missile

Post Number: 8
Posted on Saturday, 05 March, 2005 - 09:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John,
Your points are valid, but from my own personal perspective I gave up long ago worrying about market or re-sale values. Market values should only be used IMHO as a guide to how much to pay when BUYING a vehicle, NOT as a measure of it's inherent worth, status value, exclusivity, etc, or even it's value as an asset as a sudden forced sale will always fetch less than market value.

Neither should cars ever be regarded as an "investment". (now there's an oxymoron: cars and investment!!) All cars are money-pits to varying degrees from the time they leave the production line. I buy particular cars because I want them for some reason, I drive to enjoy, not pose (well sometimes it's fun to pose ) and I usually end up keeping them ad infinitum, so re-sale isn't an issue. So, in my opinion it boils down to what the car is worth to YOU.

Having said all that, I agree it can still be disheartening to see the value of your "loved one" slipping below what you think it should be worth. But as I said: the bottom line is what it is worth to you....what price happiness, eh?

GN.

John Dare
Grand Master

Post Number: 206
Posted on Saturday, 05 March, 2005 - 10:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you Gordon. I agree entirely with your comments. I suppose I was simply suggesting the relative "bargain" value of some restored (in recent times) Mk6s currently on offer, when compared to what commercial opportunists ask for unrestored examples, given the cost and time involved in restoration etc.

Gordon Norris
Experienced User

Post Number: 11
Posted on Saturday, 05 March, 2005 - 10:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I agree John. I used to be one of those masochists that would buy the "bargain" and spend the next few years and every spare penny putting it right, only to find I could have bought a fully restored one for half the money. BUT I was spreading the cost over time, and I ENJOYED THE RESTORATION PROCESS!! (OK everyone, stop laughing!).. there is the satisfaction of doing it yourself and doing it well...hard to put a value on that. There was also the satisfaction of putting back on the road an unloved mongrel that otherwise would have been scrapped. Nowadays, common sense (and family pressures!) prevail and I buy the best condition I can afford. I still end up going over nearly everything in the car, but mostly as a check and correction process, not a complete restoration from a "wreck".

GN.

Robert Wort
Grand Master
Username: robert_wort

Post Number: 127
Posted on Saturday, 05 March, 2005 - 22:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Gordon, I like the way you think mate.
I have loved the marque ever since I was five years old and it doesn't matter a cracker to me what its monetary value is. I'm certainly not laughing at you for restoring your car AND enjoying it. Of course it's true! You couldn't expect your money back(unless it's a Phantom 1V), but satisfaction in a job well done and the honour of saving just one more for posterity is reward in itself. More power to you Gordon.

Gordon Norris
Experienced User

Post Number: 29
Posted on Sunday, 06 March, 2005 - 17:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for the kind words Robert. I too have loved RR/B's since infancy. Believe it or not, I still have a pencil sketch of one of the first Shadows I did from an advert when I was a boy of about 10. However, if I mention some of the other cars I've restored, you will see I am a true masochist and will not be able to keep a straight face: FIAT X1/9 (Fiat of course stands for "Fix It Again Tony"), Alfa GTV (like the harbour bridge, once you've repaired the rust and paint, you go to the other end and start again), multiple Jaguars (all endowed with the Prince of Darkness otherwise known as LUCAS), several Lotus's (you have to have a following car to pick up the bits as they fall off), Ferrari 308 (what can I say..magnifico! but at a price that would make Crewe parts seem cheap), multiple Mini Cooper S's (no complaints..still love em to death) and sundry other unmentionables.

So you see Robert, to avoid being locked away as insane... that is the other reason I now buy cars in relatively good condition...

GN.

Robert Wort
Grand Master
Username: robert_wort

Post Number: 129
Posted on Sunday, 06 March, 2005 - 21:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes Gordon (Love Crewes Missile by the way-very clever), I know the feeling. When I was single (and therefore rich), I went through a few cars too, although not of the calibre that you have I'm sad to say. If Fiat stands for Fix It Again Tony, We had others like Ford Stood for F***ed Or Run Down, or Found On Rubbish Dumps and Holden was Holes Oil Leaks Dents n' Engine Noise. I'm sure there are many more.