Interesting car on eBay Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Interesting car on eBay « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 948
Posted on Thursday, 26 January, 2017 - 06:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gents,
Quite an interesting car, and some of the fittings would make you think you're reading about a Rolls Royce.
Large capacity 6 cylinder
Automatic transmission
Self levelling suspension
Walnut veneer
Picnic tables
Connolly hide seats
Power steering

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1966-Vanden-Plas-Princess-4-Litre-R-Very-Rare-Rolls-Royce-engine-Aust-Delivered-/292005260555?hash=item43fcdead0b:g:2~8AAOSwYIxX9y3m

Jeff Cheng
Frequent User
Username: makeshift

Post Number: 65
Posted on Thursday, 26 January, 2017 - 10:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

So I know nothing about these cars other than being some odd collaboration.

But 2 radiator caps and a muffler for an air cleaner? Imagine what other engineering oddities lay beneath!

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1102
Posted on Thursday, 26 January, 2017 - 14:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The RR engines were left overs from the Champ Jeep sold to BMC at a knock down price.
A crap car IMO.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 949
Posted on Thursday, 26 January, 2017 - 16:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeff,

I picked the same things under the bonnet as well.

Pat,
Was that the Austin Champ?

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1572
Posted on Friday, 27 January, 2017 - 00:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Patrick

Yes, the two are the same. In the late 1940s the government commissioned the Austin motor company to produce a UK version of the Willys Jeep. It was soon superseded by the Land Rover which had a much lower purchase price. The Army sold them off to the public in bulk and they were quite a common sight on UK roads in the 1960s and 70s.

I have fond memories of the 4 litre R. A friend's father had one from new and I remember it as a very quiet and luxurious car. Maybe my recollection has been clouded over the years.

Geoff

Mark Luft
New User
Username: bentleyman1993

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, 27 January, 2017 - 04:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The VdP is not a bad car. I had a friend that had both the 4 litre R and the Princess limousine (which was more like a RR than the 4litre R). Both cars performed well and were comfy and quiet, and both cars had the RR engine. BTW, I like the cup holders on the picnic trays.

Mark

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1104
Posted on Friday, 27 January, 2017 - 04:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

And a quote about the Rolls engine failings.

This was the report to the RR Lewellyn Smith:
"That particular RR engine was horrible when we started them up they made a dreadful noise there was something seriously wrong with the carburation.
Tuning the engine was almost impossible.
On tick over it sounded more like a diesel tractor.
Water leaks, cylinder head studs which pulled out of the block during normal tightening, the thing was a disaster.
The thing was a flop."

The cars produced did not sell well and many were stored 1400 or more at the Oakley Aerodrome not far from Aylesbury. Folk who traded in the first car found that the new car ordered had an earlier chassis number than the one traded in.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1105
Posted on Friday, 27 January, 2017 - 05:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The Austin Princess limousine engine size started 3,460cc then 3,995cc.
The engine was a high speed version of the contemporary Austin truck engine with Westlake designed cylinder head.
The princess 2 did have a RR auto box.
The cars were know in some circles as "the best trimmed trucks in the business".

Nick Adlam
Frequent User
Username: crewes_control

Post Number: 82
Posted on Saturday, 28 January, 2017 - 21:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gents

In regards to Pat's opening post. I've seen this car advertised last year, must be having trouble moving it on.

Apparently the Princess R was nicknamed the "baby Rolls"?.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but legend has it that Leonard Lord used one as his daily driver but changed the personalised plates BMC-1 (??) as he was so tired of being hassled by unhappy buyers bailing him up about the woeful quality of their cars.

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 675
Posted on Sunday, 29 January, 2017 - 04:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes Patrick a very interesting car. A quirky car. A car I Would like in my future museum. One would have to research carefully the comments about it just needing a tune to its a crap car etc. It reeks of Wolsley but to me has much more appeal than the horrific Asian trash being sold new right now.

At least its exterior does not look like a boring jelly bean.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1021
Posted on Sunday, 29 January, 2017 - 05:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Gentlemen,
With all the negative comments about the R - I have always wanted one. I love them to bits. Totally love them in every way. One day I was hoping to have one alas I have outgrown it.....

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 964
Posted on Sunday, 29 January, 2017 - 14:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It's creeping up in price.

A bit of a bidding war

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: