Scrap value of a basket-case Shadow Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Scrap value of a basket-case Shadow « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeff Cheng
Frequent User
Username: makeshift

Post Number: 60
Posted on Wednesday, 04 January, 2017 - 19:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

So perusing the local classifieds for curiosities, I came across this neglected (an understatement) '67 Shadow a few miles from me.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/hove/cars-vans-utes/1967-rolls-royce-silver-sedan/1134560507

basket1

basket 2

basket 3

basket 4

At this state, it's beyond economic repair and only really good as a hard parts car. But what got my attention was the price, a negotiable $3200AUD.

This begs the question, what is the value of a parts car like this. I know good condition chrome bits can go for a solid sum. I'm sure the engine is still salvageable (it was parked when the hydraulics failed).

As much as I'd love to part it out as a long term project (think of the fun of pulling it apart without having to think about how to get it back together ), I neither have the space or upfront cash to throw at it while I wait for individual bits to sell.

The seller is moving and needs it gone by 20th Jan. If it's still up a few days before then, I'd be awfully tempted to throw a silly $1000 offer at him. But then what? Pull everything out and scrap the shell?

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 482
Posted on Wednesday, 04 January, 2017 - 20:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

From a morbid fascination perspective, a $1000 is a reasonable entry fee just for that pleasure and experience!

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 869
Posted on Wednesday, 04 January, 2017 - 20:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

You beat me to the punch Cristian

John Beech
Prolific User
Username: jbeech

Post Number: 158
Posted on Thursday, 05 January, 2017 - 12:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeff,

For AUS$1000 scrapping it (if you have time and inclination) will pay off. Front end parts associated with a crash like grill, bumper, ascot, hood, and fenders will sell easily. The engine as you mentioned may still be good. Rear bumper, trunk, doors, roof, glass, trim, instruments, etc. I believe you'll easily make a few thousand - but only if - you have an understanding spouse, a place to store it for a year or three the venture may take before you call the breakers to get the remains for scrap value of the metal, and the determination to see it through. Since I don't know you I can't speak for any of this but how else do you think scrap yards get started? Who knows, you may find a new career, a business once you get started with one, etc. Good luck.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 878
Posted on Thursday, 05 January, 2017 - 12:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

We will come and support you Jeff

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 483
Posted on Thursday, 05 January, 2017 - 14:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Where the homework comes into the "business" aspect is figuring out and learning just what things are worth. Is it a $10 part? or a $100 part? Once you know the market value, then you have to decide how badly you want to sell and what discount to offer. Years ago I sold on EBay quite a bit of my militaria collection accumulated since childhood, much of which I could not even identify any more, let alone remember where I got it, or what it was worth. I spent a LOT of time doing research before deciding on prices. Then I NEVER held auctions. Only buy it now, and then waited until someone HAD to have it for their collection and paid the price...maybe after a small discount. Realize that antique dealers do not operate a "what will you give me for it today, right now" business (as in auctions) and are willing to hold an item for months or longer until that right buyer comes along. Now you say that car parts are different in that they are not "one of a kind" collectibles, but the principles are the same. Determine value before setting a price and THAT is where experience comes in. Disassembly is easy in comparison.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: