How RR Radiators are made Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » How RR Radiators are made « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1523
Posted on Friday, 23 December, 2016 - 02:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just came across this youtube video on how radiator grilles are made:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiXSlWfcaHg&feature=youtu.be

Looks really easy to me. Just cut out the bits, bend them into shape and solder them together - about an hour's work.

Geoff

Brian Crump
Prolific User
Username: brian_crump

Post Number: 146
Posted on Friday, 23 December, 2016 - 06:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Don't forget to check the initials of the individual craftsman who made the radiator surround - stamped just behind the top.
Regards,
Brian

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 797
Posted on Friday, 23 December, 2016 - 07:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian,

As was found at our recent Concours, my car is missing these initials, thus done by an apprentice.

A nice touch I thought, as I am all for apprentice training.

Geoff,
A remarkable video for sure.
Would I be correct in saying that due to the depth/width of the top, that this appears to be a Spirit grill he is constructing?

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 465
Posted on Friday, 23 December, 2016 - 13:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I suspect that the REAL skill is making it look easy!

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1524
Posted on Friday, 23 December, 2016 - 15:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Christian

Yes, definitely. Those craftsmen are really skilled. It must take years of experience in working metal.

The other craftsman who impresses me is the one who can draw perfect coachlines the whole length of a Phantom using a thin, squirrel hair brush. I would imagine the slightest mistake would cost the company thousands to rectify.

Omar in particular might be interested in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZ37QC2xFkQ

Geoff

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 799
Posted on Friday, 23 December, 2016 - 19:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That's great Stuff Geoff.

I never tire of watching these videos.

Did you see the engine build one that was displayed to the side of the radiator video?
That was pretty good as well.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 969
Posted on Saturday, 24 December, 2016 - 06:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Geoff,
That was a great video.
I wonder how many times I must have driven beside the car mentioned in that video and not known it!!
Thanks for sharing that with us.
Omar

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1234
Posted on Saturday, 24 December, 2016 - 07:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It takes 3 days for one man to make a Rolls-Royce radiator shell, the other men make 2 a day.

my shell has no markings from manufacture disappointing. I think its a service exchange one.

On chrome bumper cars a slight thump to the centre bumper could nicked the rad shell so replacement shells were common.

My boss ran his T1 into his wifes Honda which caused the centre section to flex back into the Rad shell which he didnt notice for 2 days then realised the parking error with the Honda had damaged his Shell. HR Owens fixed in 2 hours which was excellent service. (1975 ish )

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 802
Posted on Saturday, 24 December, 2016 - 07:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have to admit, I have never seen the signatures behind the radiator.
Does anyone have any pics?

Brian Crump
Prolific User
Username: brian_crump

Post Number: 147
Posted on Saturday, 24 December, 2016 - 07:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick - I will try to get one and email you. It's a clear sign you need to come to more Club events!
Regards,
Brian

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 803
Posted on Saturday, 24 December, 2016 - 07:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes I do Brian

As soon as Volvo group ground me from traveling, I'm there mate.

Thank you.
Will look forward to the pics.

John Beech
Prolific User
Username: jbeech

Post Number: 143
Posted on Friday, 30 December, 2016 - 08:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

As well as the wood and leather shop . . .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHqIGyMnO30

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 826
Posted on Friday, 30 December, 2016 - 09:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Great find John.

Love the old videos showing any production.
Older stuff on the silver shadows are great as well.

We have probably all seen these before, but for those who haven't, it's worth a look.

https://youtu.be/hJrGnbpB9yM

Very badly acted, with staged scenes of tie wearing workers running spanners over already tight bolts etc, but good reference material none the less.

http://streaming.britishpathe.com/hls-vod/flash/00000000/00088000/00088408.mp4.m3u8

What I find interesting in this video is that the Shadow, being an early model has the Chippendale dash, but has the combination rear tail lights. I thought all early models had the reverse lights on the boot lid??

http://streaming.britishpathe.com/hls-vod/flash/00000000/00086000/00086825.mp4.m3u8

Not Shadow related, but still quite interesting footage

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: