Silver Cloud III found on eBay Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Silver Cloud III found on eBay « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 776
Posted on Sunday, 18 December, 2016 - 07:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gents,

This looks like a basket case.
$29k start bid "not running"
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ROLLS-ROYCE-SILVER-CLOUD-S111-1964-MODEL-/381885499742?hash=item58ea26495e:g:nb4AAOSw241YUhyL

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 458
Posted on Sunday, 18 December, 2016 - 07:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Of the sales drivel offered, the only factial portion is "only a fool would".

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 779
Posted on Sunday, 18 December, 2016 - 08:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good pick up there Christian.

About 10k to expensive.

Christian,
Did you see my reply regarding my car polish?

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master

Post Number: 459
Posted on Sunday, 18 December, 2016 - 09:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick. Yes, maybe $20K too rich depending on overall condition, engine, and paint. I am surprised that sellers do not bother to acertain the real condition which could run the gamut of an entirely blown engine following overheating when the water pump went out, down to just the pump and tune up. As it is, you have to assume it needs at least a $20K+ engine. Silly sellers!!

About the polish, yes, got message. Thank you. Other than shipping from AU or UK it is apparently unavailablae here in US. Best I can try is some similar wax/silicone based furniture polish locally available. I got a likely suspect at hardware store yesterday but have not tried it yet. I assume that you first wash to remove grime and dirty film, but do you then apply the product following the soap wash, or do you apply a coating of standard wax first, and then third step, the Mr Sheen, or my substitute?

Carl Heydon
Prolific User
Username: car

Post Number: 129
Posted on Sunday, 18 December, 2016 - 13:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mr Sheen does a great job, "Wax and polish as you dust".
But isn't the silicone a nightmare for future repairs?

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2352
Posted on Sunday, 18 December, 2016 - 17:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Carl,

No if you use a professional wax and grease remover as used by smash repairers.

I have always used Dulux Prepsol on clean cheesecloth to thoroughly degrease the paintwork before rubbing down with wet and dry abrasive papers using a solution of 1 part Chemtek CT18 Truck Wash in 10 parts water followed by a thorough rinse, a blow dry with an air gun then a final wipe down with Prepsol and a "tac cloth" before commencing spray painting.

Never had a problem with surface paint defects after spray painting using this technique.

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 1594
Posted on Sunday, 18 December, 2016 - 22:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just thought some would be interested in a little history of the SCIII you found on eBay. Thanks to the voluminous work of Fred English I found an advert in Praeclarvm Issue 2-90 for this very car - no picture. Described as in very fine condition, only two owners to that date, registered to March 1991 and asking $65,000! I don't trust myself to comment.

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master

Post Number: 463
Posted on Monday, 19 December, 2016 - 06:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Another "pet peeve" of mine regarding used car sales tactics is quoting a low mileage assertion, as in this case of only 17,000 miles, when what they REALLY mean is that the odometer only shows 17,000, but has probably turned over once already, especially considering the wear to the front seats, which most likely did not happen by lack of use. The car may have been in fine condition at one time and 1991 was 10 years prior to the undefined mechanical problems so it is anyone's guess as to the condition today. For anyone interested, further investigation is quite necessary. A few photos of the engine bay with air filter tipped up would be of value as I wonder about whether the parts shown in the boot, actually should be located in the engine bay!!

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 782
Posted on Monday, 19 December, 2016 - 08:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This SCII has turned out quite interesting indeed.
A can of worms.

Christian,
I am more than happy to send you some Mr Sheen if you want to try it.

Mate,
If your paint is in good condition, just wash the car in a non wax type wash.
When dry give the Mr Sheen a go.

I use one cloth to polish off when sprayed on, (the cloth will get damp) and a dry cloth to buff the same area.
I did my car on Saturday, top to bottom.
15 minutes.

Just important to do it on cool surfaces, as it is so much easier.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 783
Posted on Monday, 19 December, 2016 - 08:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Very good bit of detective work there Bill.

Mark Taxis
Prolific User
Username: mark_taxis

Post Number: 108
Posted on Monday, 19 December, 2016 - 11:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I use Bowdens auto wax, very easy to use and gives a great shine

Alan Ford
Frequent User
Username: herne13

Post Number: 99
Posted on Monday, 19 December, 2016 - 17:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Great finish there Mark. I have never tried Bowdens auto wax but after seeing that crystal clear reflection when I next need car polish I know what to try.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 791
Posted on Monday, 19 December, 2016 - 20:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Excellent result there Mark.
Great mirror shine.
We get great results from some of the unique products we use.

Mark Taxis
Prolific User
Username: mark_taxis

Post Number: 109
Posted on Sunday, 01 January, 2017 - 12:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

SOLD!!!!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ROLLS-ROYCE-SILVER-CLOUD-S111-1964-MODEL-/381885499742?hash=item58ea26495e:g:nb4AAOSw241YUhyL

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 849
Posted on Sunday, 01 January, 2017 - 13:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Wow,
That seller cleaned up!!

I would love to see the list of "things to be done" when the new owner gets it home, or to his mechanic.

Maybe we may see them here??

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: