Headlamps - the type that attaches to... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Headlamps - the type that attaches to your head « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1516
Posted on Saturday, 17 December, 2016 - 00:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Folks

One of the best tools I have is a headlamp. I've been looking at Amazon and seen the following type for just 20 bucks.

https://www.amazon.com/GRDE-Zoomable-Headlamp-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B00NIOCZIK/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1481898250&sr=8-6&keywords=t2000+headlamp

It's designed for outdoor use. I'm wondering if this unit would be ideal for car use. The high setting is 5000 lumens which might be too bright, due to reflection of bright parts on the car, although there is a low setting. Batteries are rechargeable.

The one I use currently requires 3 AAA batteries. I would much prefer one that is rechargeable like the one in the advert.

Does anyone else use a headlamp when working on their car? Any recommendations?

Geoff

Carl Heydon
Prolific User
Username: car

Post Number: 125
Posted on Saturday, 17 December, 2016 - 06:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Geoff,
I have used many different styles of head lights in my work and at home in my automotive dungeon. These seem to be the best balance of cost, brightness and convenience. They slide under a cap brim. The clips are a bit fragile but then I just glue them to the cap and add a small bit of gaffer tape to the battery cover for when I drop it. I found the elastic strap style annoying, much simpler to just put a cap on. All my cars have one in the boot or under the seat and an old film canister (remember them?) with 3 AAAs in it.I buy them on Ebay for about $2.45 delivered.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1518
Posted on Sunday, 18 December, 2016 - 01:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Carl

Thanks for your reply. Great idea to carry these in the car.

Geoff

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1229
Posted on Sunday, 18 December, 2016 - 03:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

my cap light has a separate battery like a miners lamp which slips into my top pocket, the batteries are quite big and last for ever. Well hopefully.
LEDs

I use my cap light on my disability scooter as extra front lighting down the dark lanes of darkest Dorset to ward off pirates and witches.

Also I have a led torch which cost £2.54 from amazon ----- Rolston. good torch.

My mains lead lamp has a 3 watt LED bulb from poundland which works well and is more shock proof than the old filament bulbs.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 774
Posted on Sunday, 18 December, 2016 - 06:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff.
I use a 3 AAA type headlight often.
The last time I used it I also teamed it with 3 x reading glasses ($5 at the reject shop) for detailing nooks and crannies.
The last one being grotty window corners.
I used these, plus a hobby knife to get those corners clean.

The headlamp, plus the 2x glasses (I don't wear glasses usually) really allow me to see things up close and well illuminated.

Carl,
I have not tried the cap mounted one but it looks like a threat idea.

When it comes to lighting.
I have a few items I purchased from a large hardware chain here.
Both are lithium ion (I now have a rule, no more plug in anything for me, must be Li rechargeable)

I have 2 of each of these. The small ones are great for under dash work, and the tall ones are great to sit either side of me when doing brake work etc.
The tall ones when on the tripod stand about 1.2m high.
They can come off the tripod, have a hook for hanging, and can just be used as a huge lead light if needed.

Both run for about 4 hours each on full power.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master

Post Number: 1520
Posted on Sunday, 18 December, 2016 - 07:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I used to have a tripod mounted floodlight system but never got on with it. I found there would always be a shadow caused by myself, sitting in front of the unit. Other ones were difficult to position and I often ended with a whole load of glare in my face. Headlamps are brilliant. All the light exactly where you need it. I only ever use them now.

Geoff

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 784
Posted on Monday, 19 December, 2016 - 08:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I totally agree there Geoff.

I have 2 of each of the above lights that I set up either side of me, as I do fair bit of brake work.

They don't do a bad job for me doing brake work.
But engine work, headlamp is a must.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: