Maintenance History - This might make... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Maintenance History - This might make your life easier « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2122
Posted on Wednesday, 30 November, 2016 - 06:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello All,

We constantly hear how critical it is to get a car with a full maintenance history (and you often can't) and those of us who try to be assiduous about maintaining same for our cars quickly find out what a paper-saving nightmare that becomes (and, sometimes, get lost).

Several years ago I found a Microsoft Access Database on the internet (and it was for free download) that I have found invaluable in making it easy to keep a maintenance history for my cars. The database itself can be used for multiple vehicles, but I create a separate instance for each vehicle I'm tracking so that I can pass it along to any future custodian without having any data on cars they aren't going to be caring for.

Here are direct links to the database template, which can be used to create an empty instance of the Maintenance Log in Microsoft Access. It may also be able to be used in Libre Office or Open Office, but in the event it is not I have also included a link to an actual instance of the empty database. This I know can be opened by the Base application in Libre or Open Office and saved in Base file format.

One of the features I most like is that for each line item you enter in the log it has the capability for you to attach scans, be they image scans or PDF scans, of your receipts related to that activity. This has made it possible for me to go entirely paperless if I scan the necessary documentation at the time I am doing my log entries. I also keep the PDF scans I make outside the database, too, but that's just me being incredibly careful about having backup. I also routinely backup my hard drive, so this information is always duplicated as well.

Multi-Vehicle Automotive Maintenance Log Database Template
Empty Automotive Maintenance Log Database

Brian

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 727
Posted on Wednesday, 30 November, 2016 - 06:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That's a great idea Brian,

We may have that paperless office yet!!

ross kowalski
Prolific User
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 194
Posted on Wednesday, 30 November, 2016 - 12:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian,

How about this, make an album on your phone and just take a picture of every receipt. When you sell the car, just NFC tap the album to the new owner. Zap.

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 195
Posted on Wednesday, 30 November, 2016 - 12:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

Paperless office. I think it is actually here.

I own the entire factory RR service manual set but what do I use,... the pdf on my phone. Which also has, a jeep cj5 haynes manual, a vw golf mk1 and 2 manual, a Lotus Elite service manual, Plato's Republic, Deming's Out of the Crises, Dr. Man's Bullets flight from muzzle to target, etc.

It's properly magic.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2125
Posted on Wednesday, 30 November, 2016 - 12:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross,

As much as I love, and depend, on my Android-powered smart phone it is not a tool I use for serious record keeping. There's also just too much "pan and scan" required for me to view documents on the phone, which drives me crazy.

I'm more than happy to stick to a laptop or desktop computer for certain tasks and the smart phone for others, with a whole bunch occurring on both, as the moment dictates.

Brian, who can't imagine trying to read the Workshop Manual, Spare Parts Catalog, or the like on my phone!

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 201
Posted on Wednesday, 30 November, 2016 - 15:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian,

I guess the only thing I ever use manuals for on cars anymore is wire colors and oddball torques. With those uses, Pan and scan is fine and the convenience of having it anywhere anytime makes it really worth it for me. On good PDF's the ability to search is a huge asset.

When I take notes it's always on paper in my notebook because I can do sketches or whatever super fast.

John Beech
Prolific User
Username: jbeech

Post Number: 119
Posted on Monday, 12 December, 2016 - 04:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This is brilliant, Brian, great find. Thanks for sharing.

Mark Taxis
Prolific User
Username: mark_taxis

Post Number: 107
Posted on Monday, 12 December, 2016 - 07:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian
What programme opens this document, I have tried word, notepad and it does not work
Thanks

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2151
Posted on Monday, 12 December, 2016 - 08:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark,

Please re-read the initial post. I've listed the programs that are likely to be able to open this file besides Microsoft Access.

If you don't have Microsoft Access as part of the Microsoft Office Suite, and many versions don't, then try one of the alternative free office suites I mentioned.

Brian

Christopher Williams
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 50.84.174.74
Posted on Tuesday, 13 December, 2016 - 00:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I've been looking for something exactly like this. Thanks Brian!

(Message approved by david_gore)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: