Meaning of SPUR in silver spur Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Meaning of SPUR in silver spur « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mark Henderson
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 210.84.86.177
Posted on Tuesday, 01 February, 2005 - 10:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

To all RROC forum users.

What is the meaning of the word spur in silver spur and how did it come about

Mark H

John Dare
Grand Master
Username: jgdare

Post Number: 147
Posted on Tuesday, 01 February, 2005 - 20:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you Mark. I am unsure of the answer, however we recall the FLYING Spur (from the 60s period) and assume Silver SPUR evolved accordingly. Perhaps someone has a lead on the origin of the Flying Spur name?

Robert Wort
Prolific User
Username: robert_wort

Post Number: 88
Posted on Tuesday, 01 February, 2005 - 21:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark, I did read it somewhere but I forgot just where. If memory serves me correctly, I believe the word Spur ( as in Flying Spur and then onto Silver Spur), relates to a pass (Stretch of road) in Europe, perhaps ( Although I'm not completely sure), the Alps where motoring pioneers (As per the Rolls-Royce 40/50 HP Alpine Eagle made world fame), crossed in the early years of the last century {that still sounds strange}, as a trial of endurance for high altitude motoring. I believe that the name was in reverance of this achievemant.

Jim.Cowin.
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 210.84.166.24
Posted on Sunday, 27 February, 2005 - 13:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi guys,I would have thought that Spur as in Silver Spur would have come from the supernatural side of things as did the Ghost,Phantom, Wraith,Spirit and Shadow etc.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Robert Wort
Grand Master

Post Number: 120
Posted on Sunday, 27 February, 2005 - 23:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

No Jim,
Like the name Mulsanne, Spur (Which also originally was used on the Bentley), was reportedly named after a stretch of road as in my original answer. Your observation regarding ethereal names is generally correct although Rolls-Royce didn't always use them. Think of the 10hp, 20hp, 40/50hp (later referred to as Silver Ghosts as we all know), 20/25hp etc. Using the word Spur on a Rolls-Royce is a bit of a break with tradition though but not without precedent. Think of the Camargue.

Robert Wort
Grand Master

Post Number: 157
Posted on Thursday, 17 March, 2005 - 16:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have just visited the following site http://www.rrab.com/indexe.htm#top which is of course the Robfelt (Sorry for the spelling) Rolls-Royce site. If you click on the car of the month section for the year 2002 and then click on the photo of the Rolls-Royce Silver Spur. They have another explanation as to the origins of this name. There are a couple of inaccuracies as to the date of the takeover of Bentley by Rolls-Royce but I think this is possibly a typo.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 644
Posted on Thursday, 17 March, 2005 - 20:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The name is Roßfeldt, or Rossfeldt. The ß is traditional German for ss.

http://www.rrab.com/models.htm

Robert Wort
Grand Master

Post Number: 158
Posted on Thursday, 17 March, 2005 - 21:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Richard,
I often wondered how it was pronounced. I was trying to be clever and insert the B as you did but failed miserably.

Anyway, It's a very informative site as is ours and the Swamm. We are very lucky to have as much at our fingertips. Just a pity that there is a moron around trying to ruin it.