Inspect that car! Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » Inspect that car! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

M. Lollich
Posted on Thursday, 19 April, 2001 - 10:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

We've had a couple of sad stories on the RROC(US) board about RR listings on the premier internet auction site. The lesson is predictable - don't buy a RR/B sight unseen - the results are heartbreaking. You have a better chance of success ordering a mail-order bride from Timbuktu.

I would urge anyone watching these internet sites to make big-time waves when there are obvious errors in description. Email the sellers - let them know that inaccuracies in RR/B descriptions are not acceptable. An Austin Princess advertised as a Bentley is a bit beyond the pale, and it happened.

Don't bid on something you can't see for yourself. Pay the freight for a good evaluation by a RR/B expert.

Pictures and descriptions can be very seductive, and each time someone gets stung, it hurts all of us. Any comments?

Mark Tomlinson
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 211.28.232.59
Posted on Friday, 01 August, 2003 - 22:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I am the only person that I can blame for what I am about to type, I should have had the car inspected, but I was under the belief that those that owned Rolls Royce motor cars looked after them with a passion. I bought srh 2524 and I knew that a 1966 RR would need some work but what came up with this car is nothing short of vandalism.
Thus far both rear discs replaced as well as pads and hand brake pads that were past the metal and because the brakes were worn the owner hammered flat the brake line so the brakes would not engage.
4 x ball joints and everything on the front end that should have had rubber, eg control arm bushes.
Brake master cylinder, 4 x front brake hoses, the spare is a re:drilled 4wd wheel that now has 10 holes instead of 5, the radio did not work, but this one is the be all and end all of scrimping when I went to remove the hand brake housing in the car I found 3 fuses that had alfoil wrapped around them and 2 that had fuse wire soldered between the contacts on the outside of the fuse!
Oh, and the heater does not work, but the air conditioning does. It is there for my goal in life to bring this car up to what I consider acceptable Rolls Royce standard for its age, wish me luck.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 92
Posted on Friday, 01 August, 2003 - 23:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark,

Your car has been to hell and back - do you know whether it was a recent import or was it a locally delivered car? You have a lot of work in front of you however this forum is here to help you and hopefully you have joined your local R-R/B Club where you should find Shadow owners who can help you achieve your objective. If you are in NSW, please contact me about joining the NSW Branch as we have an enthusiastic group of DIY Shadow owners who will be very happy to help you.

Mark Tomlinson
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 211.28.232.59
Posted on Saturday, 02 August, 2003 - 10:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello David. I will be joining the RROC And look forward to spending some time with people that care for the cars they have taken RESPONSIBILITY to love. I am in west Sydney so I will be in touch in the next few days to find out where and when you hold your club meetings and so on.
Regards Mark.
P.S. The SRH 2524 I bought is listed in your 1997 Chassis Plate, page 43 as a 1967 RR but is in fact a 1966. An Australian delivered vehicle according to Bentley at Five Dock.