Drove Benny Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Drove Benny « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Alan Ford
Frequent User
Username: herne13

Post Number: 78
Posted on Thursday, 17 November, 2016 - 13:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Today I was thrilled to be able to drive Benny (the Bentley) for a short run, this was my very first drive of it.. Phil did a marvelous job of moving the seat back a further 50mm.
The car has now had a pretty full on service and Phil Sproston has done a marvelous job sorting out a few things which were not quite correct or just needed changing due to age. Dont worry Kelly I do want the Boss and wheel you are making for me as I can only just squeeze in behind the wheel. I have lost 5kg's so far and have many more to lose.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1189
Posted on Friday, 18 November, 2016 - 04:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well done.

5kg is a noticeable amount to lose.

A tip

There is no such thing as Junk Food. It only becomes Junk if you eat too much of it. Eating nothing but carrots for instance and carrots become Junk Food. Also eating a whole meal so as not to waste food is really wasting food anyway because you dont need the extra food so if the meal is too big dont eat it all.

According to the food nutcases the diet I was brought up on was unhealthy but less fat people in the 50s and 60s

I like stews and I eat a bit and save the rest for later or tomorrow. My stews are 90% vegetable.

I am glad your Bentley is running nice, enjoy.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 669
Posted on Friday, 18 November, 2016 - 06:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Great news Alan,
I hope it made you smile?

What was the most memorable thing you took away, and can share with us from this first drive?

Robert,
I totally agree with everything you say.
Very good advice indeed.
You are correct, what we have been told is a bad diet through the 50'- 60's & 70's was good food. No chemicals or crap mixed in with it. This is half our problems today.
I have suffered with diverticulitis since I was in my early 20's, so like you, I do watch what I eat. But it is good to be bad once in a while, just in moderation as you have previously stated.

Alan,
When will we see some fantastic outdoor shots of Benny?

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1190
Posted on Friday, 18 November, 2016 - 08:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick

I believe the umbrella name for diverticulitis and Crohns disease is Inflammatory bowel disease. IBD. So we both have the same disease. Horrible aint it.

A big mac burger is meat and bread with a dollop of cheese. Cheese and tomatoes on toast is a pizza. I think the problem is that people just eat too much and dont exercise enough. Too much engineering is being used to make life effortless. Notice that if anything is tasty then its bad for you.

Today on TV a guy explained about honey versus sugar, once the honey gets to your intestines the body handles it the same way as sugar, so it makes absolutely no difference and honey is not healthier than sugar.

My weight is of concern because despite my best efforts I am losing 2 to 3 kgs a month. Which over say 24 months means 48 to 72kgs. thats bad because theres only 78kg of me to start with.

Like you I am very food aware and dont throw any old food down me pie hole.

Alan,

post some photos of your beast ( yes I know all about double meanings so stop sniggering at the back)

And what did you think about your first drive

Alan Ford
Frequent User

Post Number: 79
Posted on Friday, 18 November, 2016 - 08:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Robert and Patrick, all good diet advice for sure. I call it an eating plan.
The drive was only a short one about 3k's or so. The thing I noticed was when turning into a corner its quite easy to oversteer so all actions need to be gentle.

The long nose is great to watch from the drivers position. Phil was riding with me at the time. The one thing I am going to have to get used to is the auto gear lever being on the right and the indicators being on the left. Out of habit I went to the gear shifter instead of the indicator lever, a few more k's under the belt and I wont be doing that. Phil still has the car, he noticed a fuel leak from the carburetor and has ordered the part from the UK. So we are planing on a week for the part to arrive and sometime after that he will fit it. Generally speaking I wont see my car for another 2 weeks. Phil has done an excellent job so far and produced a box full of the parts he has replaced. Because the car was sitting in a display room a lot of little things were never replaced and age has taken its toll on them.

I am guessing I will be able to take some photo's by the end of November. I cant wait for my next drive, the car feels tight and fresh. I am thinking I will be joined up to at least one of the car clubs very soon and am looking forward to some club outings in 2017.

ross kowalski
Prolific User
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 175
Posted on Friday, 18 November, 2016 - 08:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan,

Not only am I jealous of your car ( which looks great) I am also jealous that you have driving weather. It is cold and wet and miserable here in MA USA.

I don't baby my car but I wouldn't brung it out in the weather we have recently been subjected to.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 671
Posted on Friday, 18 November, 2016 - 10:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Great review there Alan.
I'm happy that you are happy.

Looking forward to seeing the car in person.

Yes,
We all need to have a good eating plan that's for sure.

Alan Ford
Frequent User

Post Number: 80
Posted on Friday, 18 November, 2016 - 12:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Ross, thanks for the compliment on Benny.
We are pretty lucky here to have a lot of good weather, the trouble is sometimes it gets too hot. Phil the technician advised me not to take the car out on days over 32 deg C. The reason being the Turbo R gets quite hot under the bonnet.

Hi Patrick, I remember you saying you might be down this way sometime. Always welcome as a fellow enthusiast or not lol. I am happy to say Phil has been pretty thorough with the car, he certainly knows these cars. I just need to be a little more patient before Benny comes home.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 677
Posted on Sunday, 20 November, 2016 - 07:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Looking forward to catching up and checking out Benny Alan.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: