FEDERAL COUNCIL MEETING 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » General Discussion » Threads to 2015 » FEDERAL COUNCIL MEETING 2005 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bill Coburn
Grand Master
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 314
Posted on Sunday, 23 January, 2005 - 21:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have just tried to post the following to the 'Federal Council Section but this was dissallowed. Why 5 people would require such exclusivity amazes me. Anyway I will try again.

For many years I have been intrigued as to how the agenda for these meetings is compiled. Assuming we are not subject to the secret deliberations of some exclusive cabal is it a fantasy on my part to think that delegates to the council are actually attending with notes to address agenda items that have been prompted/suggested/compiled/addressed by the respective Branch memberships? Being a member of two Branches I have seen nothing on the matter with the meeting but 2 months hence. If ideas are in short supply can I offer a few:-

1. This country has a very interesting and diverse heritage of Rolls-Royce vehicles starting I believe with the World's only surviving 30 HP which was found many years ago in South Australia. It was reportedly to return to Australia after restoration, but at present I wonder who knows where it is. Many later cars particularly Silver Ghosts have been sold overseas and their whereabouts are now unknown. These are our automotive heritage. Much more recently my first Rolls-Royce a Silver Dawn SDB94 was restored by me with every spare penny I had over a period of three years. It had two successive Club owners and has now disappeared. That car was a Launceston first delivery. Is it too much to ask that we make an effort to keep track of these cars? It seems that if the car is no longer owned by a member of the Club all records of it are scrubbed! Some years ago our Constitution required Club approval before vintage and veteran cars were sold overseas. That was about as enforceable as the annual rainfall and has been deleted. But if we value these venhicles let us try to keep a tab on them.

2. Why is there no National accession list of technical publications ? Apparently there are libraries in each State including the much lauded Foundation that contain all manner of publications relating to the cars yet as far as I am aware for me to address the custodians is a major exercise.

3. Why do we have individual websites for the Branches ? We are all about the same goal I hope and and parochial detail on the web can easily be accessessed under exclusive headings.

Perhaps our Executive can address these queries and/or offer me some reassuring advice.